Amazon ad placement

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I always use Amazon ads as I figure the more advertising the better to a point.  Placement is questionable, though.  I'm not real happy with a string of ads flushed to the right, although that's what I nearly always do.  They are smaller and the text capsule is narrow, which I don't like.

At the same time, when I read another's hub and find an Amazon ad in the center I have a great tendency to click away, thinking it's all over, unless I'm really, really interested and irritated that there isn't more, whereupon I'll try to scroll down past the ads.  I've also seen opinions that the ads need to be near the beginning, which pretty much means flushed right or put under a short 1st text box with a google immediately following; more "junk" for the reader to scroll past if they will.

What do others think or prefer?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have the same reaction, which is why I always tell people not to put photos or ads right across the center of a Hub.

I haven't had huge success with Amazon, but I do know the experienced Amazon Hubbers say you'll only get sales if you can find products directly related to the text. 

So, if you're writing a Hub about blue widgets, you would have a long string of Amazon ads for various blue widgets. However, if you have a Hub about home renovating, there's no point having a long string of ads about miscellaneous home renovating products - that's just clutter.  What you want is one or two spirit levels near the paragraph on levelling, a hammer or two near the paragraph about hammering, etc. 

I often use just one product and write a short review of it. It gives people more confidence if you recommend it. One of my best sellers is a belly dancing DVD where I've done exactly that.

2. Blogging Erika profile image66
      Blogging Erikaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll be honest with you - I've gotten a lot of pageviews on my Amazon ads, and barely any sales.  I finally stopped adding the Amazon towers. 

Instead I started using links in the text of the hubs.  Like if I wrote "This topic is covered in Book X" the text "Book X" would be an Amazon link to that product.

I've heard that works better. Still haven't seen any results, but there's always hope!

Did you get the point lrohner was making, that you shouldn't be using Amazon "towers", but instead featuring single products?

2. lovebuglena profile image86
        lovebuglenaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought that the only way to make money with amazon on hubpages is to include the amazon capsule. If you make a phrase into an amazon link is it just a regular URL of a product or does there have to be a special URL?

I am wondering if someone clicks on a phrase that links to an amazon product and then buys that product if that will actually count and the hubber will get paid for it.

Lena

1. lrohner profile image69
          lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Read this thread:  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/47555

I think that's specifically linking to an Amazon page. You can also go into the Affiliates section of Amazon, select a product and grab a text link only ad, or just grab the URL from that code and use that.

2. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I find the best conversions come from placing two single advertisement Amazon units side by side between blocks of text.  This allows you to display products prominently, yet ensures the reader can see more text below.

I have also been experimenting with placing ebay adverts and amazon adverts side by side with 2-3 ads showing per block. This makes the text look more complicated, but gives the reader choice, which is key to making a sale.

1. lender3212000 profile image60
      lender3212000posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've had a decent amount of success using the side-by-side method as well. It creates a nice break which allows users to click vs attempting to compete to get them to break away from your text.

2. lovebuglena profile image86
      lovebuglenaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"two single advertisement Amazon units side by side between blocks of text" - that's a good tip. Thanks for sharing.

Lena

3. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I frequently do this, it is the most economical use of space.

3. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

I am changing my placements..for example; when I am reviewing products,I place the ads next to the product review.

When I am writing about a subject and there's a product related to it, I will place them on the bottom.I don't want the ads to distract from the article.

4. KarinaKate profile image59
    KarinaKateposted 13 years ago

What about anchor text links?

I thought I had read that these also convert, (although don't look to me for evidence of that!)

I don't like the Amazon ads at all, and since a photo can't be made clickable, I've also tried just text links alongside a photo.

Any thoughts on this?

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just a comment on the right floating adverts. If you have a block of text which you'd like on the right, simply float it to the right and place it next to an amazon capsule of the same length.

This means your advertising is on the left which I do occasionally just to break up the boring "Everything for monetizing is on the right".

Don't ask me where or how amazon sells the best though - I've only had one sale (of seven items) in six months.

5. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

the common layout one sees here on hubpages of text smushed into one illegible block on the left and one big list of items on the right is hideous.

If its effective, its only because it drives the visitor away as quick as possible.

Areas that you want action in, should appear at natural breaks in your text and the page should be visually appealing enough for your reader to get that far.

its real easy to click 'back'

6. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

As for targetting of the product ..hmm..not sure I fully subscribe ..its about targetting of the traffic, you want a buyer to show up, looking to buy and just do a quick swing through your page ..just long enough for their browser to eat your cookie on their way out.

Those unrelated items are probably also on general hubs that arent attracting buyers in the first place.

what do you type when your trying to buy online?

for example - when your title includes "free" ...sales will be few and far between.

7. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I am totally into the right float for the Amazon products, but not in one long list. When I target Amazon products, I target Amazon products.

Instead of writing a long chunk of text about all the different types of widgets and why someone needs to buy a widget, with a long column of red, white, blue, yellow and green widgets down the right side, I actually target individual widgets. So I have a left-aligned capsule of text on blue widgets with the blue widget Amazon thingee to the right of it. Then a text capsule about red widgets with the Amazon capsule to the right of it, and so on. This has totally worked for me each and every month since I published these hubs. I'm not saying the other way is wrong--it just doesn't work for my style of writing.

And I'm not sure I agree totally with you, Sunforged. My WORST Amazon-focused hub has an average time on page of well over one minute--the shortest time of any of them. For the more successful hubs, the average TOP is well over 3 minutes. That's significantly more than a "swing through."

And just for the record, SF, I will NEVER disagree with you again. Swear. smile

That's exactly what I was suggesting.  I don't use Amazon a lot but when I do, that's how I do it.

2. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile We are not disagreeing. Im just putting prevalence on targetting the traffic in addition to targetting the product.

I may have been flippant with using the word "swing" .. i just meant I dont care as much about how and why the visitor spends time on the page for my product hubs, I just want to attract the "right" type of visitor and make sure they leave through the appropriate place.

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree.

Sigh.... Now that feels better! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)