Trying to Learn New Stuff on here...

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (26 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

Hi-
       I've been here for a few months, but this hub, just published today, is my very FIRST attempt at using multiple text capsules and embedding a video.

I tried to add photos, but gave it up, as there were all kinds of problems.

What do you think of the final version:

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Scissors-Paradox

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think perhaps a little more research would be good, as a scissor is actual two blades (or "tangs") joined together and so plural, just like a eye-glasses or trousers.

DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am well aware of that.  Maybe I was not clear--perhaps I need to do a different kind of re-write.  The piece was intended as humor.

I did, by the way, mention in the article that there are two blades, and without both, the tool is no good.

Besides, it was not the content on which I was asking for a critique--it was the arrangement and use of multiple capsules  ( a first for me)  and also the embedding of a video--(another first)

I appreciate an honest critique, but I would appreciate an answer to the question that was actually asked.

Thanks, everyone!

1. psycheskinner profile image84
            psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You asked what people thought.  I thought it looked fine but as a hub doesn't make much sense (a joke (?) with a video on how to sharpen scissors).  I am not sure what the reader is meant to get from it.

ok--thank you.

2. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is an absolutely fascinating, funny, quixotic Hub. I wish I had written it! (A "pair of pants" comes [come?] to mind...but I'll leave a comment on your Hub.)

It sounds as though you are having problems with vid and photo capsules, which would be great additions to your work. Perhaps you can be more specific about these problems? Many Hubbers here are techno wizards about these things.

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Have you changed the hub?  I don't find a video capsule, and all the embedded links I found were from HP.  I didn't click each one, but assume that is not the video you reference.

Were your other text capsules the links you gave?  It is probably easier to insert a link capsule than a text capsule full of links, and I would think the same would hold true for an embedded video if that's indeed what you did.  (still can't find a video).

What kind of problems are you having with photos?  It really isn't difficult to insert a photo capsule and upload a photo into it, whereupon it can be named, labeled and moved around.

I did change the hub.  The first critique seemed to think that an educational video on 'how to sharpen scissors" did not fit with a humor piece.

Since I in no way a fan of "Beavis & Butthead" type humor, I did not search for humorous videos on scissors,  believing that is the sort I'd find, if any.

As far as the photos, I was searching for public domain ones, since I have no photos of scissors that I've taken.  For some reason, either they refused to load ("unsupported file type"--even though it WAS within the listed file types!!), or, when I copied to my computer & re-saved as jpeg images, it just sat there 'loading' forever and ever and ever, and the picture never actually came in.  (No, they were not large--they were very small...like 50x100 pixels.)

Thanks for your input.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yup - that's almost certainly due to using IE or something else as buggy) as a browser.  I suggest you download and install Firefox - it's free and superior in almost every way.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

P.S.  in answer to your other question...no, the links were in a link capsule, not a text one.  (Yet another first!)  ;-)

3. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Hi I just thought it worth mentioning that the photo adding capsule can be what I consider 'glitchy'. Sometimes it will load a photo easily another time not.

So the problems you have with photo capsules may not be anything that you are doing wrong when you are attempting to load them. I have thought that I needed to alter the photos that I was using to make them load easier but it does not always seem to make a difference. Cannot really help with the other things.

You will know when the photo capsule is behaving 'glitchy' the circle that spins as it loads the photo continues even when you can see the thumbnail image of the photo in the capsule box.
    Hope I have explained this OK. Someone with more technical knowledge could probably have explained it in two sentences. smile

Ah--yes, exactly the type of problems I was having with the photos today.  Thanks for letting me know about that glitch!

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I have problems when uploading photos in Internet Explorer. All other browsers, e.g. firefox, does this just fine.

1. 2uesday profile image66
      2uesdayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you that will be the reason why I have problems with it, I was not aware of that.

Sorry this is a really stupid question, would I be able to use Firefox for my HubPages and still keep Internet Explorer? I mean is it possible to have both available or do I have to choose one.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I actually run both at the same time, switching back and forth as needed.  IE takes too much time to load, so I don't want to shut it down, but I use Firefox more than IE by quite a chunk.

wilderness is correct.   I, too, frequently have both open at once in separate tabs, switching back and forth as needed for whatever a particualr application warrants.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Yes, I have both, and can choose either.  IE is my default browser, but Firefox sits on my desktop, and I have the option to choose that instead if I so desire.  It works just fine, because you are using either one or the other.  It is not as if you are trying to use Firefox on top of IE.

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And you can add Safari, Chrome and Opera, too.

Any one of them better tahn anything Microsift ever created.

1. profile image0
          ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like most of their products, Microsoft didn't 'develop' internet explorer... a business called Spyglass, Inc. did.... Microsoft licensed it but ended up breaking the contractual agreement and settled for just $8m. That has always been the Microsoft way, snapping these things up very early.... too much power...

5. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

As Ryankett says, try using Firefox instead of IE.  I had the same problem and have switched over to using only Firefox for all of my HP stuff.  In fact, I like it so well I use it now for everything but email.

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's also fine in Chrome, which doesn't crash and burn like the the Mangy One.

6. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I couldn't figure out why you didn't talk about "running with scissors" and perhaps cite some examples of horrible injuries etc. and some figures to give us the rate of incidence of stabbings by scissors caused by running with them.  Other than that it is a successful etymology hub - just not everyone is going to think the way you were thinking about the strangeness of the word.

It reminds me that I have been meaning to do an in-depth analysis of the word "booger".

LOL, mega1--I didn't 'go there' because I am a 'word person,' and I abhor violent "humor" a la  Beavis & Butthead.  ;-)

1. mega1 profile image79
        mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

not violenze! not!  it was accidentz!  pleaze.  never mind.

oic..ok...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)