IMPLEMENTED: 1/4 width formatting retired for photo capsules

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Tranquilheart profile image91
    Tranquilheartposted 10 years ago

I went into one of my older hubs to add a photo and got this message:
    "It looks like some images in this capsule appear to be reduced in size. Note that saving any changes made to this capsule will update the size of these images to fit the capsule."

After adding a new photo, all the existing photos resized themselves to their original size. And there is no longer the option to resize them.

Why can't we resize our photos now?  Some of the images look ridiculously enormous.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Due to consistent issues with formatting, the half and quarter width photo capsule options have been retired.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

REALLY?! Is this a joke?

Just like that?

With no announcement?

While the template we are told to follow still includes them?

PLEASE RECONSIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use 1/2 sized all the time to make the article look nice and have the illustration next to the text describing it. Even thinking about changing this make me decide I just can;t be bothered any more.

Hubpages income is okay if it is passive.  But having to constantly change 100+ hubs means it is just not worth it.

If you would like a half width photo in your new Hubs, you can float the image to the right of the Hub.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8331473_f248.jpg

1. janshares profile image93
            jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Okay, cool. I actually did that with my latest hub yesterday. But still need to eventually check on the rest if I decide to edit the pics, especially when the link breaks, as they occasionally do.

2. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Seriously? So does this mean we need to get to work and check which hubs need reformatting? It would be embarrassing if they looked weird to readers. Did we miss the memo on this?

The change only affects Hubs that are edited.
      The images will stay the same size unless edits are made to the image capsules containing the 1/2 and 1/4 photos.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So it is only a pain in the ass for active hubs who strive to stay up to date with all your new guidelines.  They rest can just get idled. (Catch-22?)

3. Writer Fox profile image30
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

What this means is that if you used the 1/2 width or 1/4 width to get a clear image, you will now have a pixilated image when it is blown up to the 520 pixel width.  It means that you will have to check every Hub on this site again. It seems to take effect when you edit a Hub.

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yup.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

(SIGH OF RELIEF)

I do that with my photos all the time anyway. I was about to freak out.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Ooookay.  So half width pictures are *totally* allowed, in half width capsules.

Panic over.

[fans self]

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
      Marina Lazarevicposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, half width photos are still doable! smile The old options actually created confusion because technically, a half width photo and a full width photo floated to the right are the same thing. The only option that's truly gone is the quarter width size. These were used much less frequently and would rarely look attractive on Hubs.

Tranquilheartposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm not breathing a sigh of relief.  One of my hubs is mostly photos.  And I can't just ' float them to the right ' -- I have to resize them in a photo editor & repost them.  Sucks!

1. Writer Fox profile image30
          Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Same here.  You can add white space around the picture so it won't distort.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing

6. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 10 years ago

I'm beginning to think that HP are overstaffed and have nothing better to do than make idiotic changes that give us more and more work to do every day with no time left to write new hubs. Some people here have nearly 2000 hubs (like Patty Inglish for example), how on earth can they manage all the changes? Does HP want to get rid of all the faithful long term hubbers? What the f**k is going on? Get a life HP staff and leave us alone for just maybe one week?

An angry Sue who is still busy trying to deal with the images attribution saga.

Exactly.  Improvements should make things easier for the hubbers, not worse.

1. Jean Bakula profile image90
        Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I see that if the picture is put to the right, it gets smaller than the ridiculously large size it comes out at first when you add it. But it is still a stupid change that does nothing to add to our quality of writing, and time consuming to have to fix yet another thing. I don't think the administration knows what they are doing. I think you are throwing any idiotic change at the site to see what sticks. Why did you have to mess with the picture sizes? Don't you have enough to do when the site is getting less visitors than ever and nobody is making any money?

1. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

While I agree that HubPages staff is the most "idle" thing on this site, I don't think this is change is as annoying as it sounds from the wording of the announcement.  You will only have to resize your photos if you go in to edit the hub, otherwise your 1/2 and 1/4 scaled photos will remain as they are on the page.  And if you float the image to the right, it's the same difference.

What you call "ridiculously large" others might call "user-friendly."  A larger image is more likely to be pinned, and as Will said, larger is better for mobile users.

I guess that's the issue, I am in the process of editing almost all of my 137 hubs, that's why it seems so annoying. I am changing many of the images. I had one hub that had 10, and it took me over an hour to fix it up. Plus I had put my name and a copyright symbol at the top of my best hubs, since they were stolen, and got the "tip" that is illegal. But all HP offers is at the bottom of the hub your name and the year you wrote the piece shows up, much lighter than the other print, and especially if it's a long hub, it will not deter anyone. I know a lot of people who are artistic who leave a little warning on their work, and they never got told it was illegal.

Anyway, calculus-geometry, I will try to think of it as "User Friendly", as once I'm finished I can leave them alone. I am not adding any more content after one more piece I need to finish a series. Thanks.

I'm going to leave mine alone too.  Thanks to those who are helping to clear things up.  In future it's be better if HubPages made an announcement. They have sent emails in the past about changes. But not this time.

Hi Tranquilheart,
                I usually recall getting or seeing notices about changes, so I guess that one snuck up on me while I was writing on another site for a few days, or offline. I am putting way less pictures on the ones I have still to edit, It's just not worth the time.

7. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Mobile is now nearly half of traffic. Quarter size pics are almost invisible on a smartphone without zooming (and most people will not bother). So I cannot see much point in using them anymore.

A lot of the care we put into aesthetics is wasted, sadly.

8. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

They encourage the use of photos and illustrations in hubs to garner reader interest and "points," yet invent changes to make doing so inconvenient and even troublesome.

SMH!!  mad

9. WuckingFurries profile image80
    WuckingFurriesposted 10 years ago

I spent a while looking for where the 1/4 width was 'hidden' only to find this forum. There's a saying in Australia "Not Happy Jan" OMG frustrating!

At least it's not just me. I spend so much time online and reading, I need my first pair of glasses, and thought perhaps I couldn't see the size change thing anymore. Really, it's so stupid. I wonder what the next waste of our time will be? Let's guess. Oh, they will make up a new rule about punctuation. We can't use semi colons anymore.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)