jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

250 wrds or more?

1. Woody Marx profile image63
    Woody Marxposted 8 years ago

I have heard (I believe I read it over at Xomba) that Google has an indicator that something of less than about 250 wrds. is considered spam, no matter what the subject matter happens to be.
    I wonder if Hubpages should consider imposing a limit on Hubs that they contain at least 250 words  or more. 
    I know that many good Hubs have been "constructed" with just photos, and not much else, and I actually enjoy many of them myself, but I am just thinking of our "image" vis a vis Google, not whether I personally don't like photo-only Hubs.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago

Aw, then we wouldn't have any more "Hot Indian chicks in their underwear," hubs.

1. desert blondie profile image82
      desert blondieposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Guys, I've only been here 5 weeks and I'm so tired of those!!!

3. Woody Marx profile image63

That would NEVER do!  wink

4. Inspirepub profile image86
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

HubPages suggests a bare minimum of 300 words, and lowers Hub Score if you have too few words, but it's not mandatory.

5. Woody Marx profile image63

Thanks Inspire...that is a 'rule of thumb' to keep in mind! smile

6. Betty Jo Petty profile image62
    Betty Jo Pettyposted 8 years ago

Where do we find the rules about word limits, etc.?

1. desert blondie profile image82
      desert blondieposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I think you just got the "rule" from the very well respected hubber Inspirepub.

7. Betty Jo Petty profile image62
    Betty Jo Pettyposted 8 years ago

I was sure I posted my question incorrectly.

Is there a certain topic or thread somewhere for such rules as length of articles, other writing guides that I am missing?

Maybe I should take my question to Maddie.

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place, with a silly question.

Mark, you're so right, and I had to tell someone about a picture that you probably have as a pin-up!

Betty Jo

8. Inspirepub profile image86
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

It's not a rule, in that you won't be unpublished if your Hub has no words - it's more a guideline.

If you read all the linked reference pages in Maddie's sticky post in the "Need Help" forum you will get the actual rules plus some handy tips.

300 words is a suggested guideline minimum, not a "rule". Word count is a factor in the Hub Score. I think HubPages would much prefer it if you aimed for 600-1000 words, not just 300.

I wrote some 300 word ones for the competition, but they never got as good a score as the ones with 600-1000 words, and over time I have actually gone and added to some of them, just to get the scores up.

Jenny

working