Hot Hubs? How Much Traffic Are Talking Here - To Make It To Hot Hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (32 posts)
  1. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image80
    LdsNana-AskMormonposted 16 years ago

I am major curious about the answer to this mystery.... just how much traffic are those Hubs who make it to the HOT HUBS actually receiving?  I know that most likely nobody is going to give this up with specific numbers.... but how about some averages as to what kind of traffic brings a "HUB" up to the HOT HUBS List?

I have a few Hubs doing amazing... or at least for me.  I have had more traffic in  a few of my Hubs recently and they are not making the first pages of HOT HUBS nor is my score even budging when these hubs are moving up in score and traffic. (majority of traffic coming from Google and NOT HP...

What is the formula for this so I understand why certain Hubs that don't really seem all that HOT (imho) are on the list and one that I know about (my own) is actually HOT...  or at least Google thinks so???

Go to google and search "David Archuleta Mormon" and BAM top page of GOOGLE!  AND I ONLY CHANGED THE TITLE AND UPDATED THIS ONE ABOUT AN HOUR AGO AND GOOGLE ALREADY HAS IT IN THE NUMBER ONE POSITION...  completely updated!

WHY IS 'IT' NOT HOT?

LdsNana-AskMormon

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Cause nobody is searching for those words, Kathryn sad

To answer you title question - it takes thousands pageviews per day, day in and day out, to get to the first page of hot hubs. And hundreds - if you talking hot hubs for a specific tag.

2. SandraMead profile image67
    SandraMeadposted 16 years ago

So how much is your hub getting that didn't make it to hot hubs? (Mine got 135 over the last 7 days)

3. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

I've given up on trying to figure this one out Nana.  This hub got over 400 hits the first hour after it got stumbled and I never saw it on the hot hubs page (I'm not saying it wasn't there, but I didn't see it).

http://hubpages.com/hub/Funny-Hebrew-T-Shirts

On the other than, this hub did well in the HubLove contest and got a lot of HP traffic over a day or so and did make it (not 400, but 100-200).  So I have no idea how it works.  I'm just grateful when one does make it.

http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Dads-Guide-to … -Pregnancy

4. Mark Knowles profile image56
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Nana - using capital letters is the online version of shouting smile

I too am mystified as to what qualifies as hot on the hot hubs list, but I think it has to do with the amount of traffic it gets, and being on the first page of google does not mean it gets any traffic smile

This is one of my "Hot Hubs" recently:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Five-Best-iPhone-Earphones

Which gets 70-80 views a day and has had 432 views in the last week, but it is now down on the 5th or 6th page.

Hope that helps. smile

5. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

Hot hubs are hubs with otherwise good HubScores that are showing recent *increases* in traffic and/or comment activity.  There is also a slight bias toward newer hubs.  It's not so much a question of total traffic level (although more is better), but of a recent upward trend in traffic.

The idea is that no hub should stay near the top of that list for too long, it should cycle through stuff fairly quickly so that it remains an interesting place for regular visitors to browse.

6. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Oops, I stay corrected smile

Thanks, Paul

7. vreccc profile image60
    vrecccposted 16 years ago

I think Paul is closer to the right answer. I have had 3 hubs in and out of the top 10 hot hubs over the past week. Each of the three hubs hit the top 10 at least 3 times each and 2 of them dropped in and out at least 8 times.

None of these hubs got 100s of page views a day. They got close to that, but not 100s or 1000's. One of those 3 hubs reached a hub score of 100, but is now down to 96. Another of those hubs is in the mid 80s and made it to the 2nd hottest hub position. But again the traffic, in my opinion, is nothing special.

Here are the 3 hubs:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Day-1-of-19-Day-Fast
    http://hubpages.com/hub/SEO-Optimizatio … d-Research
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Prevent-Sagging-Man-Breasts

Jonathan

8. In The Doghouse profile image69
    In The Doghouseposted 16 years ago

It is really a guessing game, I believe.  Yesterday, Peter posted a HUB that bombed for him in a forum and today it is amongst the HOT HUBS.  So one must imagine it is much like a roller coaster, up one minute, down the next. Good job, by the way, Peter, the HUB is HOT!  I guess that would be considered a shout out, right Mark.  lol

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
      Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I owe Mark for that hub being hot.  He posted the unloved hub thread where I listed that hub.  Thanks, Doghouse and Mark.

9. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image80

Funny.... I just posted a fairly lengthy response to all, right here and it is now.... GONE.

IN IT.... I gave my numbers and traffic etc....  and according to everything said here already.... we are dealing with a very arbitrary machine on this one....

If Hubs are getting around a 1000 hits.... don't we all think, that is HOT?  I don't care what you are writing on... when Google sends that much traffic... that's HOT!

I don't like guessing "why" I am there or anyone else... What is HOT should be recognizable to most people.... give me a break!

I write when I get frustrated... I am frustrated now:-)

tDMg
    LdsNana-AskMormon

10. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

1,000 + hits a day is great! I have hubs like that. They were once on the 'Hot Hubs' list, but not really anymore because they average 1,000 hits a day.

Reread what Paul said.

I'll paraphrase- Hubs that see an increase in their average traffic or an increase in the average hubscore gets you to the 'Hot Hubs' list.

So it you average hundreds to thousands of hits on the regular, then it's not really a new hot hub, but a regular hot hub, and it wouldn't be fair to list the same hub on the hot hub list daily when there are other hubs that are hot in regards to today versus yesterday.

11. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 16 years ago

Hey Nana- as for googling and being on the top,  I actually think your computer is archieving, or chashing or something and it brings it up on your computer, almost like it is showing you what you are most active about.  Get it, don't get it?  Doesn't matter. 

As for hub pages,  I hardly get any traffic some days, but a lot on others,  I think it also has to do with how active you are on hub pages.  Or that the mysterious hub pages machine, is calculating the hubivity and tracking words or themes at any given time, and calling them hot, because the subject is hot. 

Who knows for sure but the machine it self. muhahahaha. 

I don''t know what your trafic is like, but maybe you can consider (with all respect Nana) a different topic, or a different approach or, just chalk it up to whateva.

I have read some hubs that I don't find very interesting at all but they get good scores, and I have seen really great hubs recieve really bad scores. 

I could say it has to do with your tags as well, the ability to generate comments, adversity, creativity, and suggestability.  It's like ending a question with a question.  If you end with a good question, then expect to get a response.

But really,  I don't know how it works.  I just like hub pages.  cool

12. Mark Knowles profile image56

And Nana - if we just took that criteria, I have a feeling that all the hot hubs would be "Hot pictures of Indian chicks in their underwear" or "How to cheat at Halo." LOL

As you can see, hot chicks  are slighly more popular as a search term at google:

http://markpknowles.com/wp-content/uploads/hot%20chicks.jpg

13. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

I have been reconsidering what you mentioned about searching "David Archuleta Mormon."
    1. How many people search that topic? Probably not many.
    2. How many other sites did it bring up besides yours?

I looked the exact phrase on Yahoo, and found David's Myspace as the top; yours wasn't on the front page at all. Yahoo results- 608,000

In Google, your hub was the top. Google results- 10,700.

In both searches thats a relatively small number of sites that they pulled.

14. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 16 years ago

It's always about the Hot chicks.  Darn them!  I think I need a makeover.  I wonder what would happen if I put hot chicks in all my tags?  lol.

15. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

You are a pretty hot chick yourself big_smile Darn you tongue

16. funride profile image68
    funrideposted 16 years ago

I donĀ“t understand you Nana roll, you have this hub in the first page of hot hubs right now! I wish I got one of mine there sad lol

17. In The Doghouse profile image69
    In The Doghouseposted 16 years ago

Congratulations with the success of this HUB.  I think all the views alone would suggest it is certainly a HOT topic in today's news.  Perhaps next time you could reword your title to be, "There Are No NUDE Photos of Mormon David Archuleta, He Is Simply Not A HOT CHICK With BIG BOOBS."  Just a suggestion. : )

1. Mark Knowles profile image56
      Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

LOL - thats a good one.

18. quotations profile image88
    quotationsposted 16 years ago

Here is a hub whose appearance on the front of the topics page looks like it was the result of manipulation: http://hubpages.com/hub/www_friendster_com

Notice all of the comments that make it look like there is a lot of interest and perhaps debate going on. The hubpage algorythm seems to have loved this hub. But note that almost all of the comments are from unregistered users (probably the same person or the author's friends) and are generally meaningless.

And the hub got a score of 95 on top of everything.

I hope hubpages will look at how their rankings are being manipulated and take steps to prevent this.

19. Mark Knowles profile image56

My pleasure. I was just having a little fun and the next thing you know ........ LOL

20. embitca profile image83
    embitcaposted 16 years ago

Sandra brings up a good point. Often you might see something of yours at the top of Google's search results, but no one else will see it at the top. If you are logged into Google and have it set to collect your web history, you will not see an accurate display in the SERPS of what regular users see. Your own stuff will tend to be at the top of the listings because you are constantly visiting your own pages.

To get the best likely estimate of where it really appears in SERPS, turn off the history feature in your Google account. The default is ON, I believe. Under "My Account" on Google, select Web History and then pause/stop collection.

While those comments in particular do all look alike, some hubs do get a lot of comments from unregistered users coming in from the search engines. One of my hubs has something like 50+ comments on it and nearly all of them are from unregistered users. My traffic from that hub comes from forums where people have linked the hub and from each of the search engines. So unregistered doesn't necessarily mean fake.

21. funnebone profile image71
    funneboneposted 16 years ago

I have 2 hubs on the hot list. ! on the first page and 1 on the 2nd. As much as I would like to attribute this to my storytelling skills, I must admit I just whored myself out to craigslist. One article was picked up by a website but they only sent back 150 hits. Using craigslist brings me 5-9 k hit in a day but then drops off fast. I think I made a google first page but that didn't bring me much either. The articles I write about strippers, mail order brides or pole dancing seem to draw much more attention than ones on back pain and proper shoes, as odd as that seems. I have noticed, and I know this may open up a big can of worms, that women with profile pictures seem to have the hotter hubs. This may be due to women cheering each other on like an online bra burning or more from men clicking on them which would be more like an online pantie raid. I am thinking about using Sandra's picture since she is beautiful And humble...a trait not shared by me but admired nonetheless.

here is my link on using craigslist
    http://hubpages.com/_1pml05lnr573t/hub/ … se-traffic

22. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image80

Thanks everyone for your input on my question as to the ongoing mystery of the Great HP behind the curtain.

Where is Toto when I need him?

I just hope that someday we can get a bit more revelation as to how things actually work around here...

""'s brings honesty into the mix and the need for things to be looked into... I agree.  I have seen many comments on Hubs that definitely seem suspicious - to say the least.  LOL

I guess what I don't like, is that we must try and find some "way" to play the system versus the system being a credible system and that we not resort to needing or feeling compelled to  questioning the great "HP":-)

Like Oz... I am sure the Great and Terrible HP is just a really nice guy working on figuring out this whole thing, behind the curtain...  right?

I do feel that we need one more category under HUBS, and that would be to separate that type of HUB which Paul spoke earlier about and which many of us have been grateful recipients of...  and that would be to have a separate category for new hubbers to be recognized in the ways in which have been described meaning "why" a new Hub that barely has anything going except it has been noticed by a handful of most likely "other" Hubbers, etc... 

But, perhaps a better system would be to equalize it being recognized for it's true content and ability to hold its own even though it is not "naturally" popular, thus rewarding true integrity of a Hub... with this type of recognition.

I do like that there is the Hubbers over-all score category, as this shows more accurately a Hubbers value to the HP community on a long-term  scale versus a quickie list that fluctuates without the cause being understood...

Oh dear... I am rambling:-)

What this would do, would be to leave the true categories of HOT and BEST and Newest as pure as they should be and not simply arbitrary and confusing status.

Not only to authors but to readers as well...  IMHO:-)

IF we are using a Google-like standard to show our best Hubs -- then wouldn't we want it to be accurate for all to recognize the standard versus the guessing game way?

At least for writers it is a Guessing game system?

23. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

Apologies for my dorky question, but how can you see the Hot Hubs? I didn't know there was such a feature and one of my hubs is getting exciting to watch....would love to see if it's on the list!

24. moonlake profile image80
    moonlakeposted 10 years ago

There use to be hot hubs but not any longer.

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
      Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

OK thanks for telling me.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is a six-year-old forum thread that a spammer resurrected so he could post a link to his website.

25. originalcontent profile image55
    originalcontentposted 10 years ago

@writer fox .... i see weedprices is postin a link, is that allowed in here ?

26. creativityinside profile image60
    creativityinsideposted 8 years ago

I am using Hubpages. But I read about Hot Hubs today. Surprising.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)