jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)

Anybody fancy casting their eye over my blog?

1. 0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

Just tell me if it looks ok? Suggest any improvements or useful or cool widgets?

Would be most grateful, the URL is on my profile - not allowed to post here.

A virtual handshake/kiss/hug for willing participants.

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I will go take a look now. smile

Alright take this with a grain of salt because I'm no expert and you asked for feedback...

1. Not such a fan of the theme. It just is too many lines and squares. Sorry but if I visited this site from a search engine I'd almost be scared off because of its look since it reminds me of something basic to sell stuff. Maybe that's just me though. I am attracted to something that looks like it had a bit of creativity put in - even a logo might make it look better.
      2. I can't see an about page - if someone comes to your blog they might want to know more about you or the site. Maybe put it up with the pages at the top of the site?

1. 0
        ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm not really trying to sell anything, its just a backlink dump, does it really look that awful sad

(those Amazon capsules are used because they get posted on YouSayToo)...

Thanks though, yeah I need a few pages, back to the drawing board I guess (sighs and cries)...

I'm sorry! I think it would only take a little bit of work. If you could find a theme that allows you to upload a photo logo and get someone to make you something nice with a picture even...

Just to make it a bit more personal. On the other hand if it's a backlink dump do you plan to get traffic to it at all?

1. 0

I never planned on getting traffic, but it has started to come a little, and its been given a pagerank promotion to PR2... so I have started to think about the way it looks.

Its just a blogger blog... I bought some wordpress hosting today, bluehost, but its all so daunting!

Same problem there, struggling to find a template that 'works'... this is why Hubpages is so easy! they make it look great, we just write!

That's a BLOGGER blog? Geez I thought it was a WP one. Certainly looks like one. LoL

Have you ever set up a WP one before?

1. 0

Nope hmm

I'm scared by the prospect. I got as far as uploading a template, and not liking it.

I had to go wordpress because I want 'Categories' and 'Tags' to be two distinct entities, something which Blogger cannot provide...

Well the good thing is that once you have a basic template you can tweak and change it as much as you want. I'm just starting to learn how!

But I think it will be fine as is if it's not going to be a high traffic site. smile

2. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

Looks good.  Clean, organized, easy to follow.  The baby blue is a little candyass for a powerbroker like you, but that's mostly me just be an a-hole because being totally nice and supportive is not in my nature.  big_smile

I like it.

1. 0

Thank you.... well that's 1-1!

Since the site is never going to make me cash, I will probably just leave it be and get stuck into trying to build a niche through my new domain for wordpress.... its a good'un.

3. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

Just from an aesthetic POV, it looks SUPER busy to me, to the point of being a real turnoff. (Sorry....) Everything seems to blur one into the other into the other...

If you're looking to gain a following, have folks stick around or come back for more or make money, they I would go for a completely different layout. But take that with a grain of salt--I'm a template-aholic.

If you're looking for backlinks, then job well done! smile

4. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

Sorry--forgot the part about suggestions.

One of the things I've discovered are "featured" or "headline" spots on a blog--or both. They break up what could otherwise be classified as dreary, and they let you give a nice shove to hubs/pages/posts that need a bit of a lift or that are seasonal.

Take a look at the template used on this site--I built this for my daughter before she got totally overwhelmed with twins. smile

But see what a difference stickied headlines and featured posts can make?

5. 0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 6 years ago

1) ya, whatever, looks good, groupie blog chick here, never got response [petition to reply to all lyrics commenys, wherever, whenever, even if they are strictly for her own entertainment!

2) Suggestion; widget too small, but section, clearly visually stands on its own, for a publishing  counter for kimberlyslyrics, and one for her moods

Be smart allocate half the blog, I suspect both will be smoking. 

The gift to motivate

But yes your blog is kewl! But 'game on' when my site's up [2012 i hope]

night, tomorrow, roll

6. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 6 years ago

I'm picky.  Frankly, after reading what WryLilt and lrohner said, I fully expected to hate it - aesthetically, anyway.  But I was surprised - it's not that bad.  Busy? Yes.  However, the way each item is separated into its own box/frame creates organization and it's actually easy to figure out what's what.

I usually prefer a 2-column blog style, but I can see why you selected 3.  The blue is nice, but I don't care for the grey and black at the header - but that's my personal preference as black and gray are my two least favorite colors smile

For the purpose of backlinks, I think it's just fine.

The only thing I can think of suggesting is what I belive WryLilt said - an 'about' page that says something briefly about you and maybe something about why you created the blog (whether it's BS or not)...