Can you write too much original content?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Cordale profile image70
    Cordaleposted 13 years ago

I was looking around at some of the more successful hubbers and noticed how they have on average longer hubs then I do.

Would it be a smart decision to start a hub on a subject and update it regularly even it started going into the 4,000 - 5,000 word limit?

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

Yes, I think hubs can be too long, but glancing through several of yours, just to get an idea of length and layout, I'd say most of yours could easily be twice as long.

That's not to say you should pad them with words just for the sake of making them longer.
    If they are long enough to cover the subject and still be interesting (someone said skirts should be that way)-- they are what they are.

3. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I think online readers generally have a very short attention span.  However, if it's something they are VERY interested in reading they will hang in there longer.  One advantage to losing them before they finish reading it is they MIGHT click on an Adsense ad or click on your Amazon ads. But, you want to be lengthy enough to be relevant and informative.

1. profile image48
      sofiajohnson8posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's true! More online readers prefer the short and concise message. There will be no time for them to read those long messages because it is time consuming.

4. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

I certainly made this mistake last year, some were 3000 plus words, and not intentional

the one i just published in 2000 and I think you loose a reader after 1000 words.

We all have so much we like to do, reading this much, regardless of topic is just draining.

Both these hubs warranted the word count and I made it as easy as possible to read

But i would never use 'fill in' words and what I need to do is learn how to edit properly and condense my sentences

smile

5. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I have to agree with you Kimberly - nearly all my hubs are over 1000 words and some over 2000.  I think that is a mistake and work on cutting the word count without damage to the information I'm trying to introduce. 

Sometimes it just isn't possible, and I can only hope that the reader is interested enough to continue, but it usually is possible to some degree.

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am with you on that Kimberly, anything more than thousand can lose the reader,  even if they are interested, their mind starting moving faster on the net.  A sequel may work out better I guess, information in smaller ( 1000+) capsules work is my gut feel
      I am no expert, but I just checked around with some of my friends.

6. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

800-1000 words seems to be an optimal length for me. No fanaticism though, if I have only 600 words to say - I don't say more than 600 words. And if 1000 words is not enough, I can go much higher, like more than 2000 in my keyword research hub - I just could not for a life of me say what I had to say in lesser words. Though if I have just 200 words to say, I do not consider it worth writing a hub. smile

1. Ipeoney profile image70
      Ipeoneyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Although we can stretch the words by making it more detailed. The last one I thought of 600 words but it wasn't enough so I end up with 900

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think this is good advice.  Just write what the subject demands. 

I do think you'll lose a reader's interest if you go beyond 2,000 words - most people will only scroll down so far!  If I write something that long, I can usually find a way to split it into two or three interlinked Hubs, which enables me to organize and present the information more clearly. 

If you look at a 2,000+ article, you'll usually find you can sub-divide it into more specific sections.  For instance, I started writing a Hub about tribal belly dance costuming, and ended up with one Hub on clothes and a separate one on hair and make-up.

1. sofs profile image77
        sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agree with you there! smile

7. Kidgas profile image63
    Kidgasposted 13 years ago

If I can't read it in a minute or so, I am moving on to the next item.

8. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I keep almost everything at 500-1000 words.   Once in a great while I will do something that ties together a lot of other pages and that might hit 4,000 but if it does, it will usually have a lot of white space and caption headings to let skimmers find what they want.

9. profile image56
    RakhiChowdharyposted 13 years ago

Users prefer to read concise, crispy content, they enjoy reading content that offer maximum information in minimum words.

But, there are expert writers who really can write long sticky content. It is not quantity (number of words count) but quality that matters.

Make sticky content with cachy title, introducation should be sticky so that a reader automatically likes to read the content. Till a reader enjoys reading your content is fruitful.

10. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

It must be very goo, or just very entertaining for me to read one that is too long, say over 2,000 words. *edit* and I despise long forum threads!

11. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

As per jacob nielson's usability study,users avoid big length text pages because they skim pages. Bullet-points,images and modular content of 350 words + is sufficient.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)