jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)

Comments Automatically Labeled Spam?

1. 0
    multimasteryposted 5 years ago

I've found several comments from visitors to my hub that have been automatically labeled by the system as spam, so it seems.  But when I read some of the comments they are actually relevant and really not spam in my opinion.  And the thing is that I don't even know the comment is there unless I happen to just pull up a hub and see it there.  I have missed a lot of useful comments this way.  An email notification for suspected spam comments would be nice but I never get an alert.  I just discover most of them weeks later in the "spam slammer" guilty or not.  Has anyone else had this problem?

1. LiamBean profile image89
      LiamBeanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I do believe there needs to be a little more work done on the comments alert system.

I do know if I get comments from members. All I have to do is log in and the number and content of comments will be shown on the left.

If the commentator is NOT a member then I likely won't see the comment unless I go looking for it.

This was particularly bad when a non-member tacked roughly thirty comments on the roughly thirty of my hubs, advertising some service or other. I got no alerts on any of them and I had to go to every hub I'd written so I could delete them.

It was so bad that I briefly considered ending my writing here...for good.

1. WryLilt profile image86
        WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've had probably a hundred or more non member comments especially on high traffic hubs - it always shows up on my main page.

1. LiamBean profile image89
          LiamBeanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Most comments appear when I log in, but not all. I'm not sure how commentators are falling off of the RADAR, but those that do are typically problematic.

Also, I do not approve comments from people who have obviously not read the hub or whose names are links to external sources.

1. WryLilt profile image86
            WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

As long as the comment is relevant and adding to the hub, I approve those with their names as links to external sources.

The comments box allows for a web address so I consider that fine.

However if they put a link in their address, unless highly relevant and with a quality comment, I deny it.

2. 0
        multimasteryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

2. 0
      ankigarg87posted 5 years ago in reply to this

This problems also comes to me. In hubpages some keywords in the comment box then it is treated as spam.

3. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have found one or two that are exactly as you describe. Valid, relevant comments that I accepted when I found them. Most marked spam are spam all the same.

4. brakel2 profile image87
      brakel2posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have found comments on my hubs from visitors, and their name leads to a bad website. I deleted one, but it came back somehow, and I deleted it again. The comment was ok, but I thought it was spam due to the bad website. I have had visitors try to leave comments on my hub, and  they are not allowed to, they tell me. So, I guess things can get quirky. I'm just glad to be a member of hubpages.

2. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Not had that problem. hmm

3. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

I have heard this mentioned before, although I don't know if there's any solution.

I personally don't often check my hubs - there are just too many so I may have missed some comments if what you say is true.

4. rmr profile image88
    rmrposted 5 years ago

I've found quite a few comments that were automatically flagged. Some of them were comments that I had previously approved. I even had one hubber email me to ask why I had deleted their comment because, once they're flagged like that, they disappear until you moderate them.

5. 0
    multimasteryposted 5 years ago

Well sounds like this is really a technical issue that needs to be dealt with.  Thank you for commenting.  Anyone else? Please voice your comments issues/experience in this thread.  Thanks.

6. pylos26 profile image76
    pylos26posted 5 years ago

Spam is good...But it needs frying.