jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)

Spam comments in my hubs

1. Good Guy profile image94
    Good Guyposted 5 years ago

Anyone having problem with numerous spam comments in your hubs lately?  I have received plenty of them today.  I hope this will stop in due course.

1. PenHitsTheFan profile image80
      PenHitsTheFanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm very new...just started about a week ago, but I've not had any. Could it be a settings issue? Possibly a default setting that got changed over time?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
        mistyhorizon2003posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Try going to:

My Account (under your user name at the top of your screen)
        Comments (on the left)
        Then select 'Spam' from the drop down menu where it says 'unmoderated'.

This will show you any spam comments you have received as you won't normally get notifications of them because they are catergorized as spam automatically by HP. You will be able to delete them one by one from here, making sure each is actually a spam comment first (sometimes genuine comments get sorted as spam accidentally too).

2. Peggy W profile image91
    Peggy Wposted 5 years ago

Yes...many of them!

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 5 years ago

Lots - Already discussing here:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/98876

1. Good Guy profile image94
      Good Guyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oops, sorry.  Just noticed that.  Thanks Patty.

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 5 years ago

Cool! Hope your spam stops. I get it from time to time.

5. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 5 years ago

We definitely noticed this.  Looks like they're coming from China.  The spam filters are catching them.  If it persists, we'll look into a way to automatically delete them.

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image87
      Healthy Pursuitsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

They seem to be spamming users that have been here for about two years or more. Does that point to how they're finding hubs?

6. profile image0
    DigbyAdamsposted 5 years ago

Thanks for watching out for this!

7. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Our Future?

"Akismet Just Filtered Its 50 Billionth Piece Of Spam, Now Seeing 700 Spam Comments Per Second"

"WordPress just hit an impressive milestone today: it has now filtered its 50 billionth piece of spam."

http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/29/automa … e-of-spam/

8. bgpappa profile image84
    bgpappaposted 5 years ago

Filter caught most of mine, but one got through.

9. quicksand profile image82
    quicksandposted 5 years ago

I too checked out the ISPs. According to the ISP checker, most of these comments are from China and some are from Russia too. The "text" that is represented by those long strings of question marks is either in Chinese or Russian.

The best thing to do is to select the option "only signed-in users may post comments."

smile smile smile

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
      mistyhorizon2003posted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you go down this route it is worth noting what Cagsil said earlier, essentially that this can mean a load of people who have no intention of writing articles ever, sign up as members of Hubpages just so they can comment on a hub. The other problem is on Hubs like my own where in certain cases people come back to comment and ask further questions regularly, as this option prevents them doing so unless they sign up as members. I still think setting comments to 'Pre-approval', and therefore open to anyone is the best bet, even though it does mean taking time to delete spam comments that are only visible to the Hub author.

1. quicksand profile image82
        quicksandposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oops! I did not realize that I would be inviting spammers into our domain. So I made the change and have now set it for pre-approval and open to anyone.
        smile

10. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 5 years ago

My hands are paining from repeatedly deleting comments from the Spam folder. So I changed the Global settings to 'only signed in users' and  'Pre-approval'  so that roberts can't do the spam posting. Disabling all comments can keep away spam comments too but I don't think that is a good option.

1. Anamika S profile image69
      Anamika Sposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Can't believe this - Only signed-in users may post comments did not stop the spam comments. So I am disabling comments on all Hubs as of now. Let's see if that stops the spam.

working