jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Special characters - how to insert them into Hubs

1. Sally's Trove profile image99
    Sally's Troveposted 6 years ago

There doesn't seem to be a way to insert a diacritical mark when composing some aspects of a Hub. I've used copy and paste from other texts, and sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

For example, in the last Hub I published, the "copy-paste" from another source worked perfectly for the title of the picture, but not for the caption text of that picture. The word in question is "Sautéing". The diacritical appears in the title for the photo, but there's no way I can make it appear in the caption text.

Therefore, I modified the caption text to exclude "Sautéing".

I see the diacritical appears in this forum post. Is there a way to insert it any and all parts of a Hub?

1. profile image60
      masterartsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

There are 2 ways to insert special characters

1>http://www.asciitable.com/

read the table check for the decimal value and press [Alt + Value]

2> Go to all program >>accessories>>system tools>> char map

you can then choose any special character you want

Sally's Troveposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You've absolutely lost me...I understand the ASCII table, but it seems that HP doesn't incorporate it in a user-friendly way.

As for "2> Go to all program >>accessories>>system tools>> char map", I don't see where that is.

Not to mention, [Alt + Value]...do you have a keyboard I don't?

Thanks for addressing this in a timely way, but it doesn't help me overcome this challenge.

2. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Just for the heck of it I went and did an alt-1 in one of my hub text capsules. Yep, it works. The happy face appeared and has so far stayed.

Try what you did in the caption field of a photo capsule. Do you get the happy face? If you do, I want to know all about your PC/laptop and exchange mine for yours. smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
        paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Tried it. Worked fine in both top and bottom photo titles.

Alt-130 should give you the é.

3. Urbane Chaos profile image89
    Urbane Chaosposted 6 years ago

....I was once called a special character.  Once.

4. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Low memory can sometimes cause this function not to work, so a reboot and keeping all other applications closed may be necessary. Hope this helps, bye for now.smile

5. Sally's Trove profile image99
    Sally's Troveposted 6 years ago

paradigmsearch and masterarts, thank you both.

Clearly I didn't have my hat on straight yesterday. In that I migrated recently to Windows7, I can claim a small excuse.

I found the character map, and even though I selected, copied, and pasted the special character into the caption area of the photo capsule, and it remained after I saved the capsule, it disappeared after I clicked "done editing". Same failure inserting the ASCII decimal value.

paradigm, you inserted the character in your photo capsule caption area, and I'm sure you saved the changes to the capsule. But did you then click "done editing" to exit the editing mode?

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
      paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, well… I put the little critters in my “Happiness” article’s first pic (on my profile page). The top critters are still there (so far). The bottom critters immediately departed for places unknown. smile

Alas, you may have to remain é deprived...smile

Then again, who knows what white knight might come to the rescue. I’d like to see a solution to this as well.

Well, there we have it. Although you can place a special character in the caption area of a photo capsule, the character is lost when you exit edit mode.

HP staff would be the white knight.

Thanks so much for your help and dialog, paradigm, about what appears to be a flaw in the HP app.

working