jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Now down to Xmas day traffic

1. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago

And going to bed

2. lender3212000 profile image83
    lender3212000posted 5 years ago

It's looking like the Google update rolled out this morning targeting content farms has severely penalized Hubpages as well. It may be time to start moving some content out. If Google is going to judge content quality based on the domain vs. the merit of individual articles, this party may have just ended.

1. Andrew0208 profile image61
      Andrew0208posted 5 years ago in reply to this

@lender3212000, it's a normal practice in the right direction with Google's algorithm improvement of 24th Feb 2011 and Google did not likely penalize HubPages domain either. Don't move them yet to anywhere as doing that could also be rated as content farm with Big G. This development will surely favor HubPages in no distant time and will adversely affect content farms only. It's too early to even to get worried of this development...Happy hubbing.

2. WordPlay profile image80
      WordPlayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with Andrew. This is a big shake-up to be sure, but HubPages has always tried to be Google friendly and that fact will undoubtedly work in our favor as time goes on.

3. CASE1WORKER profile image86
    CASE1WORKERposted 5 years ago

Hub pages is launching new terms of service and its own ad network. This was announced and traffic took a nose dive- The intuitive sceptic in me can see that HP could be flagged as a content farm for other reasons?

Let's face it- there have been a lot of posts about the low standard of hubs

1. recommend1 profile image72
      recommend1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I doubt whether a Google algorithm could specifically target in the way that has been suggested - it is more likely that the farming LINKS have been penalized, or rationalised, whichever way you like to look at it.  Being in a farm is to be in a network of links of low quality just because we link to our buddies and not to specifically relevant content - in saying this I am looking at how links worked in the first place, something like, a site is promoted in line with the links to it from other sites that recognise its content.  A backlink is generally a fabricated electronic signal that mimics these genuine links - and it is the degradation of the linking due to linking sites and withing farms that has caused the Google rethink - only my opinion of course.

4. Benjimester profile image88
    Benjimesterposted 5 years ago

And I was having such a good month.  I agree with you all, it's too early to do anything drastic like move all your content off Hubpages.  Though it may be true that Hubpages content isn't always the best, it's better than most, so in the end Google should favor us I would think.  They have to lead the traffic somewhere, after all. 

That's brutal Ryan.  Christmas day traffic.  I think I would vomit.