jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Newbie Question - Hubs or Capsules?

1. 58
    Jonaseiposted 5 years ago

Hi all! I've just created an account and thought I'd start by writing about where I live - Shanghai. Obviously, Shanghai is a large city with many districts, each with its own characteristics and unique flavor. I'd like to write a short piece about each of them.

My question is whether its better to create a single hub about visiting Shanghai with a separate capsule for each district, or whether each district should get its own hub.

I'm interested in generating the most traffic so I'm afraid that Xujiahui, the district in which I live, is not a common search term for visitors to Shanghai - so perhaps I'd better keep it as part of a larger Shanghai hub. On the other hand the HubPages Learning Center strongly suggests that I should create multiple hubs around a single topic.

So which is better, to create a Xujiahui Hub with info about my neighborhood (to be followed by other hubs for other districts), or a big Shanghai hub that includes capsules for each district?

I look forward to hearing your responses. Thanks again from a newbie!

1. Julie2 profile image79
      Julie2posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Make more hubs. One for each would be fascinating. Make sure to add colorful pics of the places and maps to if you want. Good places to eat, shop, site seeing, etc. I just may visit one day. Just a thought big_smile

2. IzzyM profile image84
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Xujiahui gets more than 200 searches per day which isn't bad. I'd write a capstone type hub about Shanghai, with a short blurb about each district and maps and photos and things.

Then I'd write individual hubs about each district and link them all back to the main hub.

Try and make each hub a minimum of about 700 words long, and break up the text with photos and things, then link them all back to your main hub.

Shanghai is a huge search/huge competition word, but you can still use it in each satellite hub, like titling them Shanghai - Xujiahui District etc.

3. angel Graham profile image60
      angel Grahamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Personally, I'd rather see each District have it's own hub.  There are, I am sure, very interesting distinctions between the districts and having them separate would allow the reader to concentrate on each one.

I agree with some above comments. Link them together. They definitely belong together. Pics. Points of interest. Maybe you can find books on Amazon that are of interest.  Also, agree with titling hubs as Shanghai-"The District" whatever district it may be.  I would find it all fascinating. Go for it.

2. Mikeydoes profile image80
    Mikeydoesposted 5 years ago

Making more hubs and targeting more keywords is always better.

Also make sure you group them together. No one says you can't do both options too wink

1. 58
      Jonaseiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Mikeydoes. I just learned about grouping hubs shortly after writing this, so that's the approach I'll take.

3. Peter Owen profile image60
    Peter Owenposted 5 years ago

Agree. You can also put links to each of the others which will also cause people to click on multiple hubs.

1. 58
      Jonaseiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the advice. That's what I'll do, although I have to admit that I'm still not sure whether a hub about "Xujiahui" is a good idea - people who don't live here probably never heard of it, and certainly won't be searching that term. Shanghai, on the other hand, is a much better keyword.

But hey, I'm the newbie here and I'll certainly follow the advice of more experienced hubbers, at least until I get a better feel for how things work.

1. Peter Owen profile image60
        Peter Owenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, you might be surprised that there were 6,600 searhes for Xujiahui last month, and 90,000 for Shanghai Expo 2010.
        Get a Google account and do some keyword searching to know what keywords you should be focusing on.