jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)

Fallen soldiers honoured at Father's Day event

1. 0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 5 years ago

Having just lost my father, I was feeling pretty down today.

I don't believe in coincidences and just logged on for a minute, not sure how but stumbled accross this article and it put things in perspective.

Bless our fallen father soldiers today.

By katie turner | Metro – Fri, 17 Jun, 2011

Father’s Day means something a little different for Michael Hornburg.

On June 19, 1983, Hornburg said he received the best present a father could ask for — the birth of his son.

“Nathan means gift so that’s a lot of what Father’s Day meant for me — getting a present like that,” he said. “This Sunday, June 19, will be his 28th birthday ... this one will be pretty emotional.”

On Sept. 24, 2007, Cpl. Nathan Hornburg was killed during an operation in southern Afghanistan.

“The day before his last battle, I talked to him for 25 minutes on the phone,” said Hornburg.

“I said ‘I love you son,’ and he said ‘I love you, too, Dad’ and that’s the last words we ever spoke. He was killed the day after I talked to him.”

Since losing his son nearly four years ago, Hornburg has dedicated Father’s Day to ensuring Nathan, and all of Canada’s military personnel, are honoured during Loops for the Troops. 

Although planning the annual walk and run is stressful and time consuming, Hornburg said the morning of the event is when it all seems worth it.

“I do reflect when I get out there and I’m the first person there at 5 a.m.,” he said.

“Particularly, over in (North) Glenmore Park where we do the run now, there are places that I spent an awful lot of time with my family when they were growing up over the years.”

2. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 5 years ago

Don't feel down Kimberly, I don't have a dad either but I understand your feelings. This is a beautiful tribute and keep up the great work. smile(((((Hugs))))

3. 0

Love you AE and thanks!

4. bbnix profile image60
    bbnixposted 5 years ago

No relationship with my father here, never have except for the beligerence or violence poured from a bottle.
    But I did have a neighbor I loved that I lost last year, a dear friend and the closest thing I had as a father figure. I knew him for 35 years. He was a World War Two veteran who could chill us for hours talking about the horrors of war, a true saint, and for me, truly defined the term "the greatest generation."
    He knew more about me than any living soul, good and bad, through our many discussions, and he never once wavered in his support and advice. He was always there when I needed someone to talk to. He never was too busy to stop and lend a heartfelt ear and comment. I miss him so much. I only ever called him "Mr. Donahue", but I miss him as the father I never had. If I could only speak to him once more, I would say one thing I never thought to say to him till now..I love you...Dad...
    I've never had the opportunity to really talk about him. So thank you Kim. Amazingly, your here once again, to help heal my many fractured heart...I love you so much...

1. 0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

BB awesome, I know what a big step that was for you, and we are all proud of you, really are

keep it coming

1. bbnix profile image60
        bbnixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, bby..you're  the best!!!

5. blake4d profile image78
    blake4dposted 5 years ago

I say he's my father...You want him to call you daddy.
    Okay who ever wins gets to call him Godfather.

Jesus and Lucifer arm wrestling
    over who is really God's only son

Happy Father's Day everybody

1. whiteorchids profile image73
      whiteorchidsposted 5 years ago

What a tribute and hang in there, the days will become a little brighter and the tears will turn to memories. Very fond memories.

1. 0

Hi white Orchids, you are so kind to so many, bless

2. 0

And there is such joy today also I would like to say Happy Fathers Day to all those great Dad's out there, and to our Troops who couldn't be home today.

Get spoiled!

1. bbnix profile image60
        bbnixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

May all the father's  brave children come home...

1. 0

3. 0

4. bbnix profile image60
      bbnixposted 5 years ago

5. 0

6. 0
    7. 0