jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Traffic question

1. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

So according to my stats I had 10 impression in total yesterday over 67 hubs. there were zero impressions on my centaur hub yesterday (and 1 today). (Compared to my usual traffic this is dismal).

So can someone explain why the stats graph shows 13 hits to that hub yesterday? Even given the difference between hits and paid impressions, that does not add up. Or are stats more than 24 hours behind? (It is hard to work out exactly which day that last point is).

1. Maddie Ruud profile image82
      Maddie Ruudposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Let me see if I can clear this up.  The graphs for user traffic and Hub traffic both have a fixed number of points on them, which can represent different lengths of time, depending on how long you've been a Hubber.  The older the Hub (or account) that you're looking at, the more days that each point represents.

And just to set your mind at ease, there are no known stats issues at this time.

2. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

You and I cross-posted new threads related to the same topic.  (Sometimes I think we think alike.)

I honestly think there is a stats glitch that is a part of the overall mix of what is happening here.

3. psycheskinner profile image83

I greatly appreciate staff input but I am afraid my mind will only be eased when I work out why I lost the majority of my traffic two days ago. (Or, if it comes back just as suddenly).

It is unfortunate that the traffic graph can't be used to look at traffic over any particular time. I guess I will try comparison with adsense data next.

I am going to keep trying to figure this out until I decide it is insoluble and just give up on Hubpages altogether.  Not sure how long that will take... Any input/advice appreciated.

I have heard staff responses about other users, is there one for me possibly?  Normal variation? Not?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image82
      Maddie Ruudposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, it looks like your traffic regularly fluctuates by a large margin, psycheskinner.  I understand that people are particularly sensitive right now, but it's too early to make a call as to whether this is in any way unusual or related to Panda.

Have you tried looking at your Google Analytics data?  That's generally a more accurate and specific way of looking at stats.

4. psycheskinner profile image83

I just started analytics and hope they will echo what Hubpages own data says. 

I would note that I am a research scientist and pretty used to reading graphs like the one above and it does not look random to me. Even with high variability you can read trends and ranges and see that a point of 10 is probably not cause by same environment prevailing up to that point.  I confidently predict my data will stay on the floor for the foreseeable future due to a new force being in play killing my traffic.  (Taking all bets, 3:1 odds) wink

I think Janderson99's explanation in the other thread sounds plausible.  That is: when I changed to subdomains I saw a continuing upward trend due to a honeymoon effect. Then it all crashed and this is my new normal.

I will watch for any bounce back but if the new normal becomes permanent, the economics of writing hubs has become pretty unfavorable for me.

5. psycheskinner profile image83

Yesterday I got a total of 6 impressions. 6.