jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

November Arts Hub Contest - 500 word poem????

1. Maren Morgan M-T profile image86
    Maren Morgan M-Tposted 5 years ago

I usually write poems much shorter than 500 words.  I am unclear on the upcoming contest word requirement.  I see that an explanation must accompany the poem (which I also do not completely understand - can't the reader be free to interpret it?).    If my explanation and poem do not add up to 500 words, may I submit a collection of related poems?  Thanks!

1. sofs profile image87
      sofsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You do have a valid question that has been asked by many on these forums..   let me search and see if I could come up with an answer,, a collection of poems around a theme should be good with a general introduction.,..may be not interpretation.
      Shall get back to you .. with the relevant thread.

EDIT
      I guess you are stuck with the rules .. doesn't say any more you can check them for yourself

http://hubpages.com/static/hubpatron_of_the_arts.php
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/83942

2. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Do you go into contests asking them to change the rules of the contest before your decide to participate? roll

If you don't have the ability to meet the requirements, then don't take part.

1. Rosie2010 profile image84
      Rosie2010posted 5 years ago in reply to this

To ask, or not to ask
      The end  big_smile

3. sofs profile image87
    sofsposted 5 years ago

Great News here I thought I read this somehwere, but this is what Simone has to say in answer to the question ....
    I quote Simone 

http://blog.hubpages.com/2011/09/hubpat … ent-258204
    Something tells me, SirDent, that you are going to do quite well in this contest! You do not need to write 500 word poems to enter. The poems can be as short as you like so long as you offer an explanation or overview of the poem that makes up for the difference. The total word count of the entire Hub needs to be 500 words, that’s all!
    Rosemay50- the creative writing entries are prose; they’re submitted via the Creative Writing category. And you can absolutely submit entries in more than one category! Just no more than five entries total per day.
    Welcome to HubPages, Poeticmentor!!!

4. Maren Morgan M-T profile image86
    Maren Morgan M-Tposted 5 years ago

Thank you, all!  Sorry if anyone thought I was trying to weasle around the rules, or negotiate to change them -- I was not.  However, I was asking for clarification.  It seems that my forum searching skills can do with some  improving, but happily sofs came to the rescue.

5. Amanda Storm profile image60
    Amanda Stormposted 5 years ago

I don't want to post for the contest inappropriately so I thought I'd ask this in advance:

"Be published for the first time on that given contest day
    Be entirely original to HubPages."

If I am reading this correctly, this means stories and poems for the contest cannot have ever been published elsewhere, ever?  If so, I'll make sure that is the case with my entry!

thank you,

Amanda

1. sofs profile image87

Yeah your understanding is right smile Best wishes to you smile

6. cashmere profile image84
    cashmereposted 5 years ago

I doubt that you need the poem length to be 500 words. It is more likely that the total hub count is 500 words.

1. sofs profile image87

Simone's response that I had quoted is clear on that .

7. Greek One profile image81
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

I know many of you have been waiting patiently... abandoning food and personal hygiene due to the uncontrollable anticipation.

I am glad that your suffering has almost ended, for I have completed my contest entry entitled Jamie’s Mom Seduces a Middle-aged Innocent.

It will be submitted later on this week according to contest rules.

1. CMHypno profile image89
      CMHypnoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You lying about your age again Greek One?  I thought you were ancient not middle aged?

1. Greek One profile image81
        Greek Oneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

it happened centuries ago... just never found an avenue to publish

working