Why doesn't a POEM Become Hub of the day?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (31 posts)
  1. SAQIB6608 profile image69
    SAQIB6608posted 9 years ago

I guess poems are also literature, There are some great poems being endorsed on HP. Shouldn't good poetry be appreciated? Comments

1. kabenlah2014 profile image58
      kabenlah2014posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hello SAQIB,

That is of course a million dollar question. I'm on HP simply because of wanting to share my poems but if at the end of the day, it can't be a hub of the day, then what is the motivation?

SAQIB6608posted 9 years agoin reply to this

yes. me too. I like beautiful poetry. HoTD is indeed a motivation. Poetry also needs a great effort.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

....However, poetry gets very little traffic and therefore earns HubPages very little, or no, money. 

HubPages wants to encourage its writers to create beautiful, informative and profitable Hubs, so I doubt they would pick a poetry Hub as an example of what Hubbers should be writing.   HubPages is happy to welcome poets, but most poems are read only by other Hubbers.

1. saddlerider1 profile image57
            saddlerider1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is absolutely correct! Why flog an unprofitable venture like a POEM. I am a poet and I certainly never placed my work here 4 years ago to earn dollars, I knew it would never happen. My main reason for inserting poetry at the Hubs was to meet like minded writers/poets and to exchange our comments and reviews on each others work. To earn recognition by what you pen is a form of an accolade to the poet here at the Hubs, to earn money, go publish your work, that I've done, my earnings come from selling books of poetry, certainly never from a social site. So for those of you who wish for your poem to be chosen as a HUB of the day, forget about it, they WANT CONTENT RICH stories, articles, etc, etc. NOT POETRY. I wish all my poets well here at the Hubs, there are a few really excellent ones I admire and follow.

Vincent Moore

I agree, but HubPages is not a social site.  Its stated mission is to earn income, for itself and writers, via advertising revenue on our Hubs.  Like any business, its choices and actions are driven by its mission.

There is a social side to HubPages, which is great, and people like yourself can choose to concentrate on that aspect of the site if they so wish - but it's a side dish to HubPages' main purpose.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
                rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually HP describes itself as a community. I know many poets have found rich, inspiring experiences from writing on HP.  It allows poets and creative writers to connect with others and find other avenues from which to share and fine tune their work.  A lot of fine poetry was published during the Patron of the Arts contest, and then, whoosh, many of them later became unfeatured.
                What is HubPages?

HubPages is an open community of passionate people—writers, explorers, knowledge seekers, conversation starters. Interacting and informing. Sharing words, pictures and videos. Asking questions. Finding answers. It’s a rich and rewarding experience with a unique set of tools and resources to help Hubbers find and build an audience, easily create articles, and earn all sorts of rewards, from accolades to ad revenue. Over 45 million people explore HubPages every month.

Quoted from the About Us page.

That's true, and good luck to everyone who enjoys using HubPages for that purpose.  However, although HubPages has changed its public statement away from its original one, it's still a business and its primary purpose is to make a profit.  The fact that poetry and fiction aren't exempt from unFeaturing illustrates that, I think.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
                    rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Of course it's a business, but it's much more than a place to write and make money. I think that's the point some are trying to make here. Those who come here to put up a pathetic piece of ad copy because they think they're going to make money are going to be disappointed.  HP was smart to change their public statement and I'm sure there was a reason why they thought it was important.  There's much better writing here than there was four years ago.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
                  DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"Sharing words, pictures and videos. Asking questions. Finding answers. It’s a rich and rewarding experience ..."

Ah, yes...but so generically worded.. "sharing words," without reference there to type of words, so poetry obviously fits, and it HP wants to discourage poetry as a non-sequitur from that statement,  then perhaps they should change the wording to read  more along the lines of "informative, content-rich articles to educate readers..."  or words to that effect.
                  Just saying....

2. profile image0
              The J Phronesisposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are absolutely right. Hubpages even implied it in their terms when signing up. No use complaining now!

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So, have you nominated one?

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This.

2. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 9 years ago

Poems earn very little because very few people read them. Therefore, HubPages tends to go more toward things like how-to articles and things that have a higher potential to earn money.

3. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Last week CatherineGiordano's hub, "Tips for Writers: The Making of a Poem," received a well-deserved HOTD nod. It contains several poems used in a clever way to give examples for her "how to" tribute to poetry.  I don't know if it was the first ever HOTD recognition for poetry on HP but I don't recall any others in the last two years I've been here. I thought it was a positive step forward for HP.

Ah, but that wasn't poetry per se - it was a "how to" about poetry which is a different thing.

1. God shet profile image61
        God shetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is one of the problems of our culture. You can't earn a living being a philosopher but can have a 'great' career being a professor of philosophy - and such things.

We don't know how to appreciate the 'real' thing - and the people who produce these 'real things'. But we are obsessed with folks who have learnt, somehow, how to clean these things after the production process has ended.

That isn't the problem at all.   The problem is entirely to do with how web pages are found on the internet.

There are millions of pages on the internet but it's not possible to browse them randomly. The only practical method is to use Google, Bing or Yahoo to search through them.   When you search, you have to decide what to type into the search box.  Some people may search for "poetry" or "poems about..." - but the first few results will usually be large poetry sites, so people will visit them and probably never get far enough down the results to find individual poems on places like HubPages. 

So it is not about people appreciating or not appreciating poetry, it's the fact that it's pretty much invisible.

1. God shet profile image61
            God shetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, the issue is much more intertwined than it may appear to some. I have nothing to say against the process of how the internet works. There are brilliantly talented people doing their business there. What I have said is about the attitude towards the contents that are being searched on the internet.

You can ask a carpenter to cut the wood exactly the way you like him to shape it for you. If you ask him to sculpt a wooden basketball out of a chestnut tree - and he would eventually create a wooden basketball out of a chestnut tree for you - using all the skill that he has. But that doesn't mean that the final product is of much use to anyone. You can't play it.

We do not support artists who create poetry, music, dance, drama - as much as we should - actually we stigmatize them whenever we can - but we have respect for the people who teach these things or have found some form of employment around these arts. It's hypocrisy at its finest.

I do not blame any one individual for this phenomenon. It's actually a (global) cultural problem.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
              DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

HubPages used to really play up that they had the largest online community of poets.  During the really inflated years, poetry got a lot of support here.  It drew a lot of users.

Then came Panda and Penguin, and all the poetry content suddenly became a web value liability dragging the site down in the eyes of Google.  Too short, not "useful," and very much subjective.

So while there are still lots of poets here, their content is no longer treated as a rich marketing draw touted as a unique, growing niche.

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. Thanks for that bit of history, relache.

2. colorfulone profile image79
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That makes sense. I have a few poetry hubs, but I always add more content than just "a short poem".  I enjoy when other poetry writers visit and comment on them and on my photos I use to illustrate.

I have never thought my poems deserve an award or special recognition, instead I just like to share them with whoever wants to read them.

5. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

To be HOTD or not HOTD that is the question. Whether it's better to keep a poem pure and simple and not bother with awards and rewards but accept the poem as an extraordinary creation in itself?

The editors at HP have a difficult job as it is without having the extra challenge of judging pure poetry, a tricky task even for poets. If by chance there were several poets on the HP editorial team things might be different! Poets are rare, poets capable of editing even rarer.

At present Google and other search engines seem geared towards the how-to model of article, the SEO based solidly entertaining, well structured, ideal page. Purely creative pages are at the bottom of the commercial ladder I'm afraid and likely to stay there for the foreseeable future.

So I would recommend to all those writing poems, would be poets as well as established, just carry on creating memorable lines. Pray to the Muse for more inspiration, forget about HOTD awards and anything similar, work hard and the poems will be reward enough. After that may come recognition but best if it comes from fellow poets.

6. SAQIB6608 profile image69
    SAQIB6608posted 9 years ago

Still no poem declared as HoTD.
    But I guess HP will motivate poets in making through it's poetry hubs. Poetry traffic may well be improving in future. Let's C.

7. Jocelyn Rain profile image61
    Jocelyn Rainposted 8 years ago

I guess us poets have to unite to make it happen. If a poem gets enough views and comments, I don't see why it couldn't be featured. It's just not as likely to happen as a detailed, well written article that also had a lot of views and comments. I want to add poetry on here and don't want to feel discouraged.

8. paradigm search profile image55
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

There was a young lady from Boston, Mass.

Who stood in the ocean up to her ankles.

It doesn't rhyme.

But in 12 hours,

It will.

9. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

I think HP missed a golden opportunity on May 12th, limerick day.  We could have had an HOTD of dirty limericks.  Oh well, maybe next year.

SAQIB6608posted 7 years ago

I would like to refresh the idea of poems becoming hub of the day. It will certainly encourage fresh poetry.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image92
        FatFreddysCatposted 7 years agoin reply to this

...except the Powers that Be retired the Hub of the Day feature a few months ago.

2. Kathrine Bridges profile image60
      Kathrine Bridgesposted 7 years ago

yes, agreed.
      I am new to Hubpages. But a poem should.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)