HubPatron of the Arts Official Contest Thread

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 206 discussions (643 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

http://blog.hubpages.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Picture_4.png
    Welcome to the official forum thread for discussing the HubPatron of the Arts contest!  BEFORE you enter, read everything on our official contest page, including the rules. I guarantee that it will answer nearly all of your contest-related questions.

For those wondering about the word count requirement: All entries must contain a total of 500 words. If a poem you write is less than 500 words (two words, for example!), you will need to include some supplementary text (e.g. an explanation, introduction, discussion of background, etc...) for your entry to qualify. If you submit a photo gallery, it must contain at least 500 words of explanation.

Another detail that many people get snagged on: If your entry does not contain at least one image, it will not qualify for prizes. If any of the images are illegally used (e.g. not your own, not properly cited, or not cited at all and clearly not yours), an entry will be disqualified, so visit our Learning Center entry on legal image use to make sure you're going things right. big_smile

If you would like to get some insider tips from our special HubPages judges that might help you win the contest, check out their interviews on our blog.

We will be posting links to winning Hubs in another thread - the first winner will be announced on Wednesday, November 2nd, and only Daily Drawing winners will be named during the contest. First, second, and third place prizes, as well as the Smashwords winner, will be announced on Friday, December 2nd.

I wish you all the best of luck and can't wait to see your entries!!

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are we supposed to post our links on this thread?  Or can we?

Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For the sake of simplicity, I'll say no, but we could open up another thread for that if you think folks would like to share and discuss their entries in one place... shall I?

1. Greek One profile image64
          Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ive made my 3 submissions

Did I win yet?

So far as I'm concerned, Greek One, you always win.

1. Denise Handlon profile image87
              Denise Handlonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. Greek One profile image64

..and that is one of the many reasons i love you

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Simone, I think that's a great idea. I'm sure others are interested in reading the entries.

3. K9keystrokes profile image84
          K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Simone, if you have the time a thread dedicated to posting the link entries (like we do with the Weekly topic) would be a great addition for getting the contest hubs located and read, if one is not already in the works... Thanks so much for the contest!
          HubHugs~
          K9

I agree and just mentioned the same thing to her before reading your comments.  smile    Great minds think alike as usual!

1. K9keystrokes profile image84

You know it Denise! lol

4. profile image0
          annmackiemillerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes please Simone

5. profile image0

yes please Simone

6. Denise Handlon profile image87

Yes, Yes, Yes, Simone!  I think that was one of the highlights of the last contest.  Plus, it will give everyone the opportunity to read any and all w/o bouncing all over the place.  smile     Thanks!

2. profile image49
        ravihomeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes dear you are suppose to post here...

2. oceansnsunsets profile image84
      oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very excited for this contest!  What a fun idea, and I love the arts.  Can't wait to see what everyone else is sharing too.  Thanks HubPages for coming up with such a cool contest!  Not sure how to post this without posting the whole post I am replying too, sorry so long.

3. amymarie_5 profile image67
      amymarie_5posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't add a photo. I've already submitted my story. Can I add a photo or is it too late if it's already published?

Add it before noon PT today and it should still be OK big_smile
        From this point, though, be sure to make sure your entry is all set before you hit publish. I'm so glad you're participating in the contest!

1. amymarie_5 profile image67
          amymarie_5posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay that's great!  I updated it yesterday.  Thanks Simone!!

2. Victoria Lynn profile image88
          Victoria Lynnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm getting conflicting answers, Simone. Do we just hit publish on our entries and have "contest" in our tags? or do we also have to enter our entries on a thread?

4. alezafree profile image90
      alezafreeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello! A question about the poetry category: Are you accepting all forms of poetry. For instance, is children's poetry okay (as in poems for kids ... not poems written by kids)?

1. profile image0

Any type of poetry is allowed.  Make sure the word count is sufficient. 

Read the rules if you have any questions as many are answered there.

http://hubpages.com/static/hubpatron_of_the_arts.php

1. alezafree profile image90
          alezafreeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

5. Victoria Lynn profile image88

I hit publish, but some people say to submit link here, too. Can someone make rules more clear????

http://victorialynn.hubpages.com/hub/De … thing-Poem

6. Greensleeves Hubs profile image91
      Greensleeves Hubsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for being a bit dumb, but I think I didn't publish my first hub in the photo galleries comp in the right way. Can I be clear about it - I added the tag 'contest', but if I want to enter in the photo section, I have to publish the hub under the categories Entertainment and Media -- Photos and Videos -- Photo Galleries.
      Is that correct?
      At first I just added the tag 'contest', so I fear I may have missed the boat with the hub for the contest, though I've now republished it under the hub categories as described above. Please let me know if this is right, and if the hub - http://greensleeves-hubs.hubpages.com/h … eensleeves - is still elligible. Cheers. Alun

7. Dave Powell profile image59
      Dave Powellposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Simone!

Though this contest is a wonderful idea, I am going to remove (with regret) the few poems that I've posted to date. One of them ("Fandango") was automatically de-published because it had already appeared in print and online elsewhere (as part of a previous "Year of the Poet" national celebration actually!). And that made me realize how careful one needs to be when posting original works online... especially when one may want to re-publish them in the future (either online or in print).

So I'll be removing the poems at the end of the day tomorrow. Sadly, poetry is a much different animal than prose... it can't be restricted to just one public display, and it can't be "substantially rewritten" between its online airings!

That's not to denigrate the idea though... its still a wonderful competition!

8. Stina Ann profile image64
      Stina Annposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I was planning on posting this a couple days ago, but I finally did! Another poem:
      <snipped-no promotional links>

1. profile image0

The entries are supposed to be posted on the thread below.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/86040

2. Stina Ann profile image64
        Stina Annposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oops, wrong place, sorry!

9. profile image48
      homefellas87posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks dear for share the great information. you have nice job............

10. arusho profile image60
      arushoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Simone - how do I know that my poem is in the contest?  I added contest as one of the tags, is that all I need to do?  Is there someplace to view all the poems that have been entered?

1. profile image0

If you added the contest tag and everything is in order it is automatically entered into the contest.  Click the following link to view the contest rules. 

http://hubpages.com/static/hubpatron_of_the_arts.php

There is a thread where contestants are allowed to post the links to their entries.  It is below.

1. arusho profile image60
          arushoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

okay, thx!

11. profile image0
      leann2800posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am confused. If, the daily winner is announced at 4 pm. Then, what time of day is the latest time to be considered for that days contest? Do hubs published after 4 pm on one day count towards the next day's contest?

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
        FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The contest started at 12noon Pacific time on the first day. The next 24 hours is one day.  So yes, anything published after 12pm on a given day that is entered correctly (eligible) is then entered in the next day's daily draw.

1. profile image0
          leann2800posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for clarifying that FloraBreenRobinson

12. falconboy profile image60
      falconboyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting

2. Simone Smith profile image86

I'm getting some more common questions, so I want to address them here:

Regarding long stories: If you want to submit a story that is particularly long, I recommend publishing it in one Hub instead of in parts, as entries are going to be judged on an entry-by-entry basis (and hence incomplete stories are less likely to go on to win first, second, or third prize).  If you want a higher chance of winning a Daily Drawing prize, however, you might want to publish your story in parts, because that increases your number of unique entries.

Regarding weeks and deadlines: Though in the past, we had weekly awards, the HubPatron of the Arts contest has only daily prizes and final prizes. So long as you enter between November 1st at noon PT and November 22nd at 12:00pm PT, your entry will be within the correct time frame.

1. Hyphenbird profile image81
      Hyphenbirdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Didn't it start today, November 1st? The contest rules state, "Contest begins at noon (PT, UTC - 7) on November 1st, 2011, and ends at noon on November 22nd, 2011 "
      I am confused.

Sorry. I'm thick as a plank! That's a typo. I've edited it big_smile
        The contest is indeed live NOW!

1. sameer.anand profile image59
          sameer.anandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If we publish more than one hub during this time and add "contest" tag to each of them, then are they all eligible?

Yep. Just make sure they are published here on HubPages for the first time and within the contest categories.
            cool

K9keystrokes is right on! Though do keep in mind that you can submit no more than five entries per day big_smile

wink

2. viking305 profile image92
      viking305posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello

I have put my photo Gallery hub under Art and design, Photography, Photo gallery.  Is this correct?

Some hubbers say it should be in the Entertainment and media, photos and video, photo gallery

Can you please let me know which one is correct, thanks

Hi viking305! Sorry for the confusion. It's Photo Galleries under Entertainment and Media. You should be fine so long as you re-categorize your entry before noon (PT) today. That's a bit short of four hours from now.

1. viking305 profile image92
          viking305posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simone for the quick reply, I have changed it to the correct category.  I will also now go to the Help Forum and let those there know which is the correct one. 

Thanks again

Lorraine

3. profile image0
    annmackiemillerposted 12 years ago

has it started yet? I don't know because of the time difference between us.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Just a reminder, make sure you include the tag: contest.
    smile

I've read a few entries showing up on the feed. WOW, some superb writing. Beautiful!

5. marriedwithdebt profile image77
    marriedwithdebtposted 12 years ago

Is there any easy way to read all entries? Would be nice to see what I'm up against 

Check out the thread for sharing contest entries: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/86040

6. K9keystrokes profile image84
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

I am so thrilled about this contest. I look forward to seeing and reading all of the artistic hubs to come! Good luck Hubbers!
    Hubhugs~
    K9

7. profile image0
    annmackiemillerposted 12 years ago

|Yeah! we're LIVE - good luck to everyone I am looking forward to reading and seeing some fine work in the next month.

Is there a thread where we can post/see entries?  I for one would love to have one.

8. Simone Smith profile image86

Ask and you shall receive. Here's the thread for posting links to your entries! 

I'm looking forward to having a peek at your work!

Yahoo!  Thanks Simone   smile

2. K9keystrokes profile image84

As always, Simone ROCKS!! Thank you for the thread ma'am! cool

3. profile image0

Thank you very much.

4. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Simone - I've been looking for the answer to this but can't find it:  The instructions say 'must be published for the first time and unique to HubPages'.  Does this mean previously published in the contest or altogether on HubPages anywhere?  In other words, can we use previously published hubs which are unique to HubPages and have not been entered into a contest?

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image66
        PaulaHenry1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Must be published for the first time on HP

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
          couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ok, thanks.

Yep! PaulaHenry1 is right. Entries must be both original to the site and published for the first time on the site big_smile

5. Rosemay50 profile image61
      Rosemay50posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is great we get the chance to read hubs from people we haven't yet met

9. marriedwithdebt profile image77

Oh my! That's customer service!

10. Dobson profile image76
    Dobsonposted 12 years ago

Ok, I made my first post, but am wondering if I am within the guidelines with my serial installment. Please take a look and let me know before I do any more.

It is the Family Secrets - Chapter 11.

Thanks,

Dobson

Yep! It's properly categorized, contains at least one original photo that belongs to you (and is therefore legally used), has the 'contest' tag, and meets the minimum word requirement. Totally counts! So glad you're submitting entries in this contest, Dobson!

11. shibashake profile image82
    shibashakeposted 12 years ago

I have read the legal image use guidelines at the Learning Center. However, I have two additional questions -

Do the images have to be unique to HubPages? (i.e., can it be posted elsewhere)

Do the images have to be unique to the hub? (i.e., can it be posted in another non-contest hub)

To answer those questions: no and no! So long as the images are legally used and properly cited (or so long as they just belong to you), you can use the same image in all entries for all the rules care wink

12. Denise Handlon profile image87
    Denise Handlonposted 12 years ago

Simone-I just finished reading all of the hubs posted through Pearl Diver.  They are wonderful-quite a mix of poetry, prose and photographys.  This is so much fun!

13. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

How exciting! I am glad that I am involved. What a great bunch of hubs! smile

14. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 12 years ago

@Simone wouldn't it be better to have a separate thread for poetry, fiction and photography.. just thinking out aloud.. may help the readers, they do not have to wade through a serpentine thread if the decide to catch up after a few days.

I can see the value in that, but for the sake of simplicity, I'm going to keep official contest discussions down to three threads (discussion of all categories, entries, and winners) instead of five. Feel free, though, to start a category-specific discussion thread- I bet folks might really appreciate it!

15. H.C Porter profile image79
    H.C Porterposted 12 years ago

I am wondering, is each entry being judged within the specific category it is under? Poetry-Prose or Photography, or is each entry being considered for any and all?

Each entry is being judged only within its category for all prizes but one: the Smashwords prize. That said, each category has its own first, second, and third place prize.
      All entries are in the same pool for daily drawing prizes, though, which are randomly chosen and not based on quality.

1. H.C Porter profile image79
        H.C Porterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That kinda stinks (I always use photography to support my poetry) Okay... Guess I am making another hub with a showcase of photos... I dont suppose we can create and include an embedded video (Youtube) in our hubs that is considered as part of the judged material can we?

16. Stories Inc. profile image65
    Stories Inc.posted 12 years ago

I had a question about the 500 words requirement:

I published a poem (a captive's narrative) with context notes and in total, that makes for 500 words but since the poem itself is in picture form (which gave it better layout), the words in it aren't digitally registered, so does it still qualify or not?

1. 2uesday profile image65
      2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Would it work if you put the words in the 'caption box' under the photo?
      Maybe not just an idea.

1. Stories Inc. profile image65
        Stories Inc.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

But the it's a jpg-version of the text itself, so then you get the same text in the caption.

If it's really required, I suppose I could replace the picture with a plain text box, but it would be a shame...

It should be fine, so long as the Hub itself contains at least 500 words big_smile

17. GmaGoldie profile image80
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

Wow!
    I just started a hub with a poem that I wished to share that my husband wrote for me.
    I have his permission. He is a fabulous writer.

Is it valid for me to enter into the contest my husband's poem?

Totally, so long as you have permission from your (admittedly awesome) husband and the entry otherwise meets our contest requirements!

18. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Is there an upper word limit for fiction entries? I have a really LONG story I'm thinking about entering.

Nope! No upper word limit! And this is very intriguing!!!

19. PaulaHenry1 profile image66
    PaulaHenry1posted 12 years ago

Will you be posting winners on a seperate thread as well so we can see???

Yes we shall! I'll open it up today after we have our first Daily Drawing winner.

20. profile image0
    SirDentposted 12 years ago

When doing a slide show, do we have to tag each photo individually? 

For instance, I have a hub I am going to enter into the contest and I tagged and gave a description for each photo in a slideshow.  The word count went from about 450 to over 1100.  Just to clarify, all the photos relate to one event.

No, individual photo captioning is not necessary, though it is a nice thing to do and might help you when it comes to judging.
      Sounds like you're putting together an impressive entry!!

1. profile image0

I am an impressive individual my Queen of the Known Universe and Beyond.

Women don't like needy suck ups...  the are looking for wonderful Greek guys with access to European bail out funds

smile

1. melbel profile image93
            melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do.

jk jk

1. profile image0

No doubt Greek One hired you to distract me.  Or not!!!  tongue

2. profile image0

It looks like we will have to fight it out.  Choose your color!!!!!!!!

http://www.jeffbots.com/rockem_sockem_robots.jpg

I'm a lover, not a fighter... can we pick surrogates?

http://www.stag-bratislava.com/images/katakt/Mud%20Wrestling%203.JPG

1. profile image0

Where did you find that photo of Simone at work before she came to HubPages?

2. profile image0

can I also add to that that Google searches look for image captions to add to the google images so best to have one on each for visibility

1. profile image0

Thanks.  This is something I hadn't thought about.

Excellent point, annmackiemiller!!

2. profile image0

http://www.awardsforanything.com/images/PRODUCT/large/2942.jpg

Simone deserves this.  Thanks for your hard work.

Take that Greek One.   tongue

OMG. You've made my day. I've always wanted to be named Free Engraving On Every Trophy Up To 40 Letters champion!! 

I.... I want to thank all of the people who... *sob* helped me get t.. to this point!!   Especially you, SirDent. I can now die a happy neurotic.

2. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

sigh,.. got me there...

what possible response could i give that would illicit the appreciation of the most beautiful woman in the world?

sad

WIN.

3. ByChanceTV profile image58
        ByChanceTVposted 12 years ago

Sometimes I just enjoy listening to you guys talk....

1. profile image0

I like to do that too but no sound comes from my computer screen.  I start making voices for everyone and the conversations are quite entertaining, to say the least.

4. Simone Smith profile image86

Hey 'yall!

Do address some more common questions I've been getting:

Regarding contest categories: You can absolutely submit entries in different categories (e.g. two photo gallery entries and one poem and one story). The only limit is that you can submit no more than five entries per day (in ALL categories)

Regarding contest judge participation: Contest judges are allowed to participate in the contest and submit entries, but their entries are exempt from winning prizes in the categories for which they are judging (e.g. I'm one of the photos judges, and I can't have any entries considered for the photo galleries category, but I could win a Daily Drawing for one of my entries... though because I'm HP staff, I am, most tragically, not allowed to win anything... aside form the trophy SirDent just gave me. Which is awesome).

1. profile image0
          blake4dposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thats too bad that you can't win anything Simone. I can send you five bucks if it would help ease the pain. LOL

Thanx for the updates.
          Keep on Hubbing. Blake4d

1. profile image0

What she said is since she is judging the photo contest, she cannot win in that contest.  She can still win in the other two portions of the contest, poetry and prose.

Actually, since I'm HP staff, I am exempt from winning anything T___T
              .... aside from my wages. Which I am alright with....

In other news, bribes are welcomed!!  Please make all personal checks out to Her Supreme Majesty, Miss Sim1 Haruko Smith.

1. profile image0

And the egg is on my face.  Thanks for clarifying.

2. MickeySr profile image79
          MickeySrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Simone, I've a question; in the graphic for the contest it says "prose, poetry, & photo" - in the list of prizes it specifies prizes for "poems, fictional creative writing, and photo galleries" . . . for the creative writing entires, is it only fiction that qualifies, like, not essays or nonfiction storytelling? I took 'prose' to be just about any manner of creative writing that is not poetry (narrative, essay, fiction, nonfiction, etc) - is it only fiction that is eligible for this contest?

Anything that fits properly within the "creative writing" category counts, and as Wikipedia defines creative writing as "Creative writing is considered to be any writing, fiction, poetry, or non-fiction, that goes outside the bounds of normal professional, journalistic, academic, and technical forms of literature." I say you're in the clear!

5. Phyllis Doyle profile image94
        Phyllis Doyleposted 12 years ago

Thank you, Simone, for all your information. I think the links thread is a great idea. Also, on the word count: I may have made a mistake on that, for with my explanation of the poem I submitted yesterday it pushes the word count over 500. I also post a link to my poem on FaceBook and Twitter, is that a definite NO-NO? Will my poem of 11/1 be disqualified for these two mistakes? It is not clear in the requirements rules about the word count (which stated a MINIMUM OF 500 WORDS) and it is not in the contest rules that we should not share the link anywhere but here. Please clarify these two confusions for me. Thanks for all your help with this contest.

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image66
          PaulaHenry1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dont believe sharing your hub is against anything, plus the rule is a minimum of 500 so if your over I think that is just fine....

2. profile image0

The word count is good as long as it is at least 500 words.  Sharing links on FaceBook and twitter are OK.

3. Simone Smith profile image86

PaulaHenry1 is right on! Sharing is encouraged- I mean, why not spread the contest fun and your great creative work, right?
          And the word restriction is only a minimum. We have no maximum word limit! big_smile

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image94
            Phyllis Doyleposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, thank you oh so much!  Now I can relax and enjoy this contest. I am so excited, win or not, I am going to enjoy this so much!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85

+ Love this attitude! big_smile

HP should be proud of the amazing quality of entries coming in. WOW, there are some great hubs being published. I'm so impressed!

6. Simone Smith profile image86

Here's another reminder to add the contest tag to your entries folks! I'm hearing from some of our judges that a bunch of great poems and stories are missing them.

Make sure your entries meet ALL our entry requirements by visiting the official contest page: http://hubpages.com/static/hubpatron_of_the_arts.php

Is there a special button for the contest tag, or do we just type it in our tag section?

Where will we see the "daily prize winners" announcements?

Just typing it in works, and now you'll see the sticky forum thread where winners are posted big_smile
            It didn't exist when you posted the question.

Thanks, Simone.

Simone, I still cannot find out how to post a NEW reply to this thread. When I click on the 'Post A Reply' at the bottom of the page it takes me to the Official Contest page where we cannot post links and discuss our poems. I have to come into this thread and reply to one of my previous posts.That is the only I can get in here.

7. Greek One profile image64

Simone, can I have the brownie points SirDent just threw down the toilet?

Of course, but only if you have the equipment to properly sanitize them first. Toilets are icky.

8. leahlefler profile image95
        leahleflerposted 12 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5707291_f248.jpg

This trophy might be a little better, Simone!

that's just pathetic!!!

Simone doesn't need your personalized electronic awards!  She KNOWS she is the Queen of Awesome!

.. just like Drax knows he is the King of Outstanding
          .. and epigramman knows he is the King of Wonderful
          .. and Nellieanna knows she is the Queen of Amazing
          .. and rebekahELLE knows she is the Queen of Terrific
          .. and my fellow Canadian saddlerider1 knows he is the King of Greatness

.. and Poetry contest Hubpages staff representative Camille Harris knows she is the Queen of Specialness

So stop trying to butter up people!!!

1. AEvans profile image73
            AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And all of them were in the top 200 in the last two years on my hubs, I am so proud of them! Oh and don't forget Wayne Brown. Hubbers picked them and look how far they have came? Give yourselves a pat on the back.smile

(I only picked the ones who were judging the poetry contest smile

Lololo! big_smile You are so silly. I honestly noticed that. And the two who were number numero uno on HP are very popular now indeedy. Habee and Cagsil smile I am doing that again this year, so I wonder who it will be next year. mmmmmmm....... I am scared! lolololo:D

I dunno, Greek One. I could use a reminder every now and then. I'm a pretty big fan of that thar trophy. wink

9. leahlefler profile image95
        leahleflerposted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5707388_f248.jpg

Hey, I think a lot of people are awesome. Here's one for you, Greek One!

you realize that translates into king of sodomy, don't you?

1. leahlefler profile image95
            leahleflerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

D*#! You, Google Translate!

Who is Greek!?!?!

Google or me!?!!?

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5707582_f248.jpg

i forgive you smile

I think that might be the best diagram I've ever seen on this site.

I always strive for excellence, lol!

10. shampa sadhya profile image76
        shampa sadhyaposted 12 years ago

How to submit the contest hub? Secondly, where should I mention the contest tag?
        It will be helpful if you mention the steps.

Shampa, simply start a hub in one of the featured categories, and add the tag "contest" to your entry. Good luck!

11. snakeslane profile image81
        snakeslaneposted 12 years ago

I noticed now after publishing a spelling mistake, can I go back to edit or is this a fait acompli?

You can totally go back and edit the mistake, snakeslane! That's one of the awesome things about publishing on HubPages.

12. PiaC profile image60
        PiaCposted 12 years ago

For those who may have missed it, the contest is getting some nice publicity already! http://bit.ly/vyHWCn Good luck to all competing!

Impressive!

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image94

Awesome! That is impressive indeed.

13. snakeslane profile image81

Thank you Simone

14. Simone Smith profile image86

ALRIGHT!!! WE HAVE OUR FIRST WINNER!!!

It's blairtracy for Love Me For Who I Am!!

Awesome poem, blairtracy, and congrats on the win!!

I've also started up a closed thread where I'll be showcasing all of the contest winners, so that's the place to check if you're tired of wading through this more dense forum thread.

Now Hubbers, Jason and I are traveling to BlogWorld tomorrow and Friday, which means that our access to computers and stuff might be limited. If tomorrow and Friday's DD winner is not named until about 5:30 or 6:00, please do not hurt me.

One more little note... <soapbox> some folks who could have possibly won the DD today weren't using their images legally, even though they did cite them. Though naming an image's author is an important part of legal image use (especially if the image is licensed as a Creative Commons, Attribution image), the image's creator must still indicate that it is OK to use the image. So you can't just use any image you find online. It has to be one that's licensed as CC or public domain.

I know it's complicated, but by learning the proper process, you'll be able to become a stronger, more polished and professional writer! Or something. Just... just a suggestion. The prize money is a good motivator too. </soapbox>

1. SimeyC profile image86
          SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hate to be a pedant - just wanted to check - we don't have to list the attribution as long as the attribution exists on the source provided?

You mean on the image itself? We have a policy against watermarks, so that could be difficult...
            But attribution is not necessary if you own the image, I can say that much with certainty big_smile

No I mean in the 'text' below the image. Do I have to put CC, Public Domain etc - or is it simply that this attribution exists somewhere?

2. profile image0

that doesn't count if the images you are using are your own though - right?

Right!

3. profile image0

Simone, I used images from people I know personally and have permission to do so on several of my poems. How do I cite that.? I used my friends Eden Sky, Joe Lee, Mary Chapman and the Scarlet Woman. All of them I have permission and know them personally....Or can we not use those atall. And do u let contest entries know this at least one time or not.?

I would make a note under source or as a caption that the image is by Eden Sky and used with permission.
            And if a contest entry is selected as a winner but does not have a properly attributed photo, I don't give a warning. If the entry does not meet contest requirements by the time we review it, there's nothing we can do because we have to name daily winners in a timely manner. ^_^;;

1. profile image0

KO...I think only one or two of mine had that problem. KOH'
              Blake4d

4. profile image0

And what about images that are my own, which are the rest.

Those you can either attribute to yourself or leave blank. Many people attribute their own photos if they want to clarify their copyright, though technically any image you place online that is not otherwise marked is considered copyrighted by you by default.

1. profile image0

Thanks Simone, I think I can work with that. I have options at least, that is all I did want to clarify. There are still quite a few days left, and I can rectify any problems before the wider end of the judging. Thanks darling. Keep on Hubbing. Blake4d

15. snakeslane profile image81

I was thinking same question Simey, not pedantic, ok maybe a little.

16. Keith Matyi profile image59
        Keith Matyiposted 12 years ago

Here is another of my submissions.

http://keithmatyi.hubpages.com/hub/PTSD-in-Prose

Outstanding work.

Hey Keith- make sure you share your submissions in this thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/86040

We're not posting links in the main contest discussion thread.

17. Dobson profile image76
        Dobsonposted 12 years ago

Did I misread the rules that there would be a winner announced each day in each category?

1. profile image0

View the daily winners @ http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/86120

2. Pearldiver profile image68
          Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe that you did at all. I also read the script to represent the same as you did. However, I guess with 'creative' contests, it is quite 'creative' being somewhat ambiguous, or fuzzy with the desired interpretation of rules, as much as ambiguity is often a desired effect in storytelling! roll

Maybe I was only imagining that daily it was somewhat more than merely a 'pick a straw daily' comp drawn across three very VERY different genres. Shouldn't Creative Comps NOT Mix/Judge/Compare Apples with Oranges and also have a greater, more consistant reliance on quality? yikes

1. profile image0

I thought it was one in each category too

3. Simone Smith profile image86

The Daily Drawing winner is selected from ALL entries each day, but first, second, and third place prizes (which are selected by our judges) are category-specific. So there will be three first place prizes- one for poetry, one for creative writing, and one for photos.
          The only other prize that does not repeat across categories is the Smashwords prize.
          So we're definitely not comparing apples and oranges when it comes to judging! No worries! smile

18. profile image0

HubPages Contest

The poetry contest is all the rage
        So join yourself up and make a hubpage
        Write your poems and win lots of cash
        Or post your photos we will have a bash

We will not forget those who write prose
        There's money for them too you may win who knows!
        The contest is great and we can all have fun
        Consider the contest a creative writing lesson.

Dang!  I wish I could have put that on our official contest page!! Love it!

1. profile image0

I posted it on the blog first.  You can still add it if you want.  I don't mind at all.

19. Dorsi profile image88
        Dorsiposted 12 years ago

OK I do have a question. An interesting thing has happened during this contest: I have found myself submitting my photos only to find myself also writing a poem about the photo. I have also ended up doing creative writing in the photo hub I made. So how do I categorize these now? And are they only judged by one category? Some of my hubs are falling into all 3!

That's awesome, Dorsi! I say categorize your entries under the category in which they are most likely to win. So if one of these entries has good photos in it, but GREAT poetry, categorize it under poems and poetry big_smile

20. profile image0

Is there a way that we can find out how many entries have been made and how many authors have entered this contest? 

If not, would it be possible to post a sticky, (make it no reply) and update it day by day?

There's no communal listing this time, since there are multiple categories and the lag time with old ones would freak people out, but I can certainly add total entries so far to the winners thread. I'll do that starting today big_smile

21. Greek One profile image64

I'm not sure what you are telling us here, Simone?

Are you saying that I can't tell people on this thread to check out by submission:

http://greekone.hubpages.com/hub/JamiesMom

Even though I recently got a "100" by my avatar?

22. snakeslane profile image81

Hi Simone, I am wondering where I can find winners from yesterday?

Snakeslane: there's a forum entry:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/86120

23. snakeslane profile image81

Yes I found that thank you SimeyC. But only lists a daily draw winner. No mention of winners in other  categories.

there is only a daily draw winner - there are only Grand prizes (2nd and 3rd places too) for the categories...

24. snakeslane profile image81

Really? That was not how I understood it at all. Must go back now and read again!  Thanks SimeyC.

25. snakeslane profile image81

Ok got it, thanks again!

26. profile image0

I have a question about using photos again.  There are some photos needed that we cannot just run out and shoot because they might be in another country on the other side of the world.  Wikipedia photos, most of them, are licensed under creative commons.  Many times the original photographer is not even known or mentioned. 

How do we cite these photos?

I have one photo on an unpublished hub that is cited as follows:  This is a file from the Wikimedia Commons. Commons is a freely licensed media file repository.
        Source: Wikipedia

I need to know if that is sufficient.

EDIT  I had to come back and share this.  I thought it was finished and checked the word count.  It stands right now at 499 words.  lol

1. melbel profile image93
          melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you link me to the photo in wikimedia commons, I'll show you how to cite it. smile

1. profile image0

LOL.  I would do that if I knew how.

2. profile image0
        2. manlypoetryman profile image80
          manlypoetrymanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"One more little note... <soapbox> some folks who could have possibly won the DD today weren't using their images legally, even though they did cite them. Though naming an image's author is an important part of legal image use (especially if the image is licensed as a Creative Commons, Attribution image), the image's creator must still indicate that it is OK to use the image. So you can't just use any image you find online. It has to be one that's licensed as CC or public domain." As Noted From Simone Smith.

I'm trying to "cite" good photos for my different themes for this contest...I haven't found one good photo in Creative Commons...nor on Flickr/Attribution...nor Wikimedia...(and a whole lot more). None that are any good for  free publication. I have tried for hours and all the photos that are free....suck! They are awful...and it's not from a lack of trying.

The thing about it is: the topics I am looking for are fairly common, but as Sir Dent noted "It is not like you can just run and shoot a photo in another country" Me...I'm just looking for a simple shot along with mountains....preferably...but it's not like it is in my backyard...or even close by. What a hassle this has turned into!

Does this mean that my poems will be disqualified since I can't find a good matching image for free for the poem? That doesn't make sense.

If that is the case...I'm pretty discouraged by the fact that you have to have any old image on your poem to qualify for this contest. If that is the case...I'm going to draw stick figures...and title them...and call them my artwork...then add them to the poem. And I doubt that would help the overall look of the Hub.

Am I dreaming...or is it really this hard to find simple basic free images that are any good?

1. profile image0

What type of photos are you searching for?  Email me if you want and I will see if I have anything you can use.

1. manlypoetryman profile image80

Thanks...I just sent you an e-mail with the pics I am looking for. Thanks for your offer to help.

For good pics of mountains, look in wikipedia for Smoky Mountains, Blue Ridge Mountains, Appalachians. The mountains there are beautiful and the most of the pics are CC or Public Domain

OK...Thanks for the help!

27. profile image0
        jami l. pereiraposted 12 years ago

http://jami-l-pereira.hubpages.com/hub/ … ars-Values

Hope you like it , have a wonderful evening:)

1. profile image0

LOL there seems to be a lot of confusion tonight about where to post your links.  This is not the thread to post links on. Post links at the thread below.  lol

28. Victoria Lynn profile image88
        Victoria Lynnposted 12 years ago

Okay, so I tried  to read through this whole thread, but I still need two things clarified:

1) Can we enter more than one submission?
        2) Do we ONLY enter our submissions on the thread given above, or do we also hit "publish now" like we usually do when we publish a hub?

Thanks. Working on something now....

Victoria Lynn

1. profile image0

You can enter up to 5 per day in total. 

Publish your hubs first then come to http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/86040 ande post the link to your hub. 

Be sure and read the rules @ http://hubpages.com/static/hubpatron_of_the_arts.php

1. davenmidtown profile image68
            davenmidtownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Victoria Lynn: you may publish up to five hubs per day in the contest... make sure they are categorized properly.  You must publish them first and then you can link them to this forum.

1. Victoria Lynn profile image88

davenmidtown--thanks! What do you mean by categorized properly? I have "poem" in my title and tags. Is that what you mean?

5 per day, huh? Wish I had that many! And that much time! Thanks!

1. Victoria Lynn profile image88

It doesn't give the "five" in the official rules, does it???

29. davenmidtown profile image68
        davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

I do not think the poetry or creative writing needs to have a photo in them...

If I am reading this correctly: Hub Patron of the Arts Contest rules:

•Have at least one image, and all images must be legally used

manlypoetryman is right. The images are required for all entries.

30. marriedwithdebt profile image77

Just go to EPA site or Bureau of Land, Natl Park, etc. Government images are already in the public domain (correct me if I'm wrong). Then cite the author as the agency unless otherwise given.

I think your right...and it is a good resource...and it is a gov. image...like you say. Still...they are not limitless in photos for every occassion...though, but a great suggestion.

2. dungeonraider profile image86
          dungeonraiderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Government pictures in public domain normally have [public domain] or something like that written next to the pic, or in the information provided with the picture.  Take care that you do see the public domain tag, as some government sites use individual's picture's (they individual may have rights to it, some government officials are private personalities, as well).

I'm really glad you mentioned that, dungeonraider!

1. dungeonraider profile image86
              dungeonraiderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Simone.  Work done by the US gov't is in the public domain.  A photo of Fenway Park, shot by US Marines, is in the public domain.  Official portraits are in the public domain, if commissioned by the US Gov't.  Hope that helps.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85

You can check out the Library of Congress website for digitized images. There is a wealth of information on the site. Check for Rights and Restrictions on images.

1. profile image50
                  concerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)