jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

What photos can I include in my hub?

1. teriyaki profile image78
    teriyakiposted 5 years ago

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I really haven't been able to find an answer.

So, what are the legal requirements for a photo to be included in a hub?
    I know that Creative Commons is accepted, but exactly which categories are acceptable? For example, if the picture is flagged as "noncommercial" on Flickr, can I still use it? What about random pictures on the web where their copyright status is not stated?

If I mention particular proucts in my hub, can I use their photos found on the official site of their manufacturers?

I know that some of my questions lead into the gray copyright area but I'd really like to have some clear guidlines what is safe to use or not before I start to pepper my hubs with colorful images.

Thank you very much in advance for your response fellow hubbers!

1. Sally's Trove profile image99
      Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Rule number 1, look at the site's TOS or privacy page to see how you can use their material or not.

Rule number 2, if a site says that their works are not to be used for commercial purposes, don't use them on HP, because you earn money on HP and that is a commercial use.

About using manufacturer's photos, I think that is a gray area. Those manufacturers want their products featured and sold by affiliates, because that's good business for them. So, if I find a photo on Amazon from a seller and put that into my Hub about the product as an image not generated by Amazon, I really don't know what the ramifications may be in terms of copyright infringement. That's going to take a bit of research.

Great question.

And welcome to HP..looking forward to a first Hub of yours.

2. sofs profile image86
      sofsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The learning center has wonder hubs for this purpose.. here is one http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use
      You could read the FAQ section so that you know how this site functions
      Welcome to Huppages smile

3. teriyaki profile image78
      teriyakiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you a lot for your responses! I think I managed to locate some nice photos to spruce up my very first hub or two. They're all attribution CCs from flickr and I've been extra careful to check whether I can use them for commercial purposes as long as I acknowledge their author.
      Thank you again!