jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)

Should one include a copyright on each hub?

1. RunningDeer profile image83
    RunningDeerposted 5 years ago

Should one include a copyright on each hub?

Sometimes I see them on peoples hubs and sometimes not.  I've also seen them on pictures too.  Is this something I should include on my own work?

2. teaches12345 profile image94
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

That is a question I have often wondered, RunningDeer.  I am going to follow your question and hopefully we will both get an answer soon.

3. Wesley Clark profile image61
    Wesley Clarkposted 5 years ago

Running Deer,
    I just published a hub in regards to this issue.  My answer is yes, because there would be less chance I believe if someone sees a copyright on your article to "steal" it, than if it didn't have one.  I don't know if you've had anyone do it, but it doesn't create warm fuzzies when it happens.  Hope this helps.

1. teaches12345 profile image94
      teaches12345posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wesley, sounds good.  Doesn't HP automatically ensure your articles are copyrighted?

2. Wesley Clark profile image61
      Wesley Clarkposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If you read the article, the very fact that you wrote it, means that it is copyrighted.  No need to pay $35 dollars per article either Jesse.  You can do that, but you are protected.  I didn't know about my "rights" as a writer, now I do.  I'm happy.

3. Jesse Mugnier profile image74
      Jesse Mugnierposted 5 years agoin reply to this

To legally copyright something, it's on the us gov's website, it's $35 a piece.

4. Wesley Clark profile image61

Link to the FAQ from the copyright.gov: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-g … tml#mywork
      It is legal,whether you pay $35 or not. See do I have to register? Paying $35 gives you the ability to  bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work

5. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Not really, I have seen hubs copied with the copyright message in tact.

4. Jesse Mugnier profile image74
    Jesse Mugnierposted 5 years ago

I have looked into it, at $35 per article I'm not sure if its worth it. Unless you are super serious about your hubs, or maybe just have a few that you are very proud of and want to protect.
    Goodluck to you!

1. Wesley Clark profile image61

Jesse, I followed up in comments in my original comment.  $35 enables you to bring lawsuit.  If I was unable to resolve it via personal contact, I would not go to court and file lawsuit.  You are right, not worth it, $35 plus court costs, time costs.

5. justateacher profile image82
    justateacherposted 5 years ago

I choose to do it after that other site stole some of my stuff...don't knOw if it does any good but at least my name it's all over it just in case...

6. janshares profile image97
    jansharesposted 5 years ago

There's an informative hub on hubber ethics by ruchira that addresses this topic and the importance of copyright. I have not been clear on it either. I am even more concerned now. Thanks for asking this question, RunningDeer and thank you, Jesse, for the specifics on fees.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

You don't have to, there is a copyright statement at the bottom of every page on the site.

8. Annemari profile image60
    Annemariposted 5 years ago

I do. So that others know it is my own work and cannot be duplicated. Maybe you can too so if you're content is duplicated is easier for a complaint.

9. RunningDeer profile image83
    RunningDeerposted 5 years ago

Seems like plagiarism is one of those things that you can try to prevent, but if it's going to happen, it's going to happen.  People are going to be lazy jerks if they want to.  Still, it seems it's best to do whatever one can to prevent it from happening.

Thank you everyone for your help!

10. Gail Meyers profile image87
    Gail Meyersposted 4 years ago

I started including a copyright notice in my hubs with a link to my profile for two reasons.  First, scrapers cut and paste entire hubs including the copyright notice.  Secondly, most of my hubs were not coming up in a Google search for my name and did not appear to be linking back to my author profile page.

According to the newly implemented copyright procedure, I guess you can now include HubPages standard copyright notice at the bottom of your hub.  It instructs hubbers to remove their own added copyright notices.  HubPages now gives authors one copyright option, which is a copyright notice using your real name.  So I have no clue what ghostwriters are to do about copyright notices on HubPages.

working