jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Acceptable Hubs Focus Question

1. Mike Rogers profile image61
    Mike Rogersposted 5 years ago

Been "away" for a while, but spent a lot of time watching how Hubpages and the Google Panda wrestling match would shape up, and reading about the changes and additions to hub monetization by Hubpages.

I had over 50 semi-productive hubs at one point, but that was legislatively knocked back to 2 totally unproductive and neglected ones after the Hubpages changes that set quality standards to prevent overly promotional efforts.

I'm cool with that. It had to be done for the long term well being of the site.

My question is basically this:

Are "appropriately" promotional hubs allowed now?

"How to Buy a Dual Flubarb Combobulator Cheap"
    "Acme Roadrunner Road Marbles Buyer Guide"
    etc etc etc

With appropriate content (text, images, video, limited product displays etc) is this still welcomed and "allowed" under current guidelines?

While I enjoy writing about less commercial things, my main focus is and has always been earning income online, and I'd like to re-activate my presence here at Hubpages.

Input appreciated.

Mike smile

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Over promotional generally applies to the number of links to commercial sites, not the type of hub.  I have many sales hubs, dedicated to selling products, as do many others. 

For instance, Amazon and eBay (added together) links are limited to 1 link per 50 words of text.  Empty links (you call for 4 but it only shows 3, leaving one empty) are counted.  Links to outside sites are generally limited to 2 links to the same site or 1 RSS feed. 

You should probably go through the learning center section on overly promotional to find just what is allowed and what isn't.

2. pixmafia profile image61
    pixmafiaposted 5 years ago

I only had 5 hubs 4 of which had been up for over a year without any issues, today all but one have been blocked for various vague non descriptive issue's, hub pages is moderated by the same kind of people that are attracted into becoming traffic wardens, tax collectors, lawyers, Councillors and politicians. We are not all William Shakespeare of this world nor do we claim to be, yet the moderation style and expectations seem to mean that you must be better than the best. Hub pages is way to frustrating to be a viable option. I will be back when you get moderators who have at least some common sense and some common decency!

3. Mike Rogers profile image61
    Mike Rogersposted 5 years ago

Is that "50 words of text per product link" an absolute or an observed guideline? I am reading conflicting information in various places about that.

For example, if my hub contained 1200 words, 24 product links would be allowed?

(1200/50 = 24)

Is this correct? Or, is there an overall limit? I'd like to gain some understanding of the convention moving forward into hub production.

Mike smile

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You have it right, and it is an absolute.  If you put 25 links ([i]links]/i], not capsules) on a 1200 word hub HP will come after you.

Be aware as well that a capsule set to 5 products but only showing 4 counts as 5.  If you have used a search term that failed to produce 5 items it could come with the fifth item at any time so HP counts it as 5.

As far as I know there is no overall limit; a 12,000 word hub could have 240 links.

4. Mike Rogers profile image61
    Mike Rogersposted 4 years ago

Please excuse my 'gentle bump' here. Hoping for some input on this.

Mike smile

5. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 4 years ago

Mike, in my experience the word count and product placement seems to be overseen by an automated filter.

6. Mike Rogers profile image61

Thanks, relache.

Mike smile

7. Mike Rogers profile image61

wilderness, thanks for the additional input. Just trying to put together an acceptable overall template prior to hub production.

Mike smile