Hub flagged as both overly promotional and substandard!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (73 posts)
  1. profile image0
    BenjaminBposted 13 years ago

I find it hilarious that Hubpages pushes the concept of helping new Hubbers yet my Hub which has had very good reception by the community has been flagged for being both overly promotional and substandard.

I had 5 social bookmarking links,and 2 other links to free tools absolutely related to the topic (one link was an affiliate link but led to the free download).

As for substandard,the biggest joke of all. I have received many emails and comments on the Hub thanking me for breaking things down into simplistic easy to understand terms unlike the majority of similar Hubs that assume in their terminology that people should already know the basic principles of certain things.

I took every link out of it and will say now without a doubt if they still won't publish it that I will never make an effort to tutor any new Hubbers in any way shape or form ever again. They will just have to do like I did when I started and keep another window open at all times to constantly look up terminology that other Hubbers fail to explain properly for beginners.

If this is a direct result of someone hating on me and flagging it,then thank yourself because you just hurt the newer Hubbers that may have gained from it if it does not get republished.

1. profile image49
      mejormediaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And it appears as if you jumped the gun too soon. Oh well.

@Ben,

The overly promotional is having more than 2 links to the same domain. Fix it and relax.

As for the substandard, I've not clue with regards to it, because you've not stated how long the hub is?

If the hub is too short, then it would be flagged as substandard, which is happening to many hubbers and not just you.

1. profile image0
          BenjaminBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Didn't have more than two links to one domain Cagsil,as a matter of fact there were no more than 1 link pointing to any 1 domain. It's a meaty Hub chock full of info.

2. profile image0

2151 words to be exact Cagsil.

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, if it had only one link to any single domain and had more than 2000 words, then it would make no sense.

I'm not sure what the moderator was looking at in your case. It would be best to deal with them, directly. wink

Wish I could have been more help. Sorry. sad

1. profile image0

Thats cool Cagsil,I'm just forming my own ranting tyrade smile

3. profile image49

I'll be OK. Just moved my articles to sites with better than a 60% Adsense rotation and where Hubscores don't matter!

2. profile image0

Actually mejormedia it has a Hub score of 91 and in the couple weeks since I published it has been by best traffic Hub and most commented on ever. It definitely has me riled up some. It didn't break any over promotional rules by the links so I just don't get it. Like I said I'll just not be concerned about helping anymore if what I thought was some great work and benefit to new Hubbers gets completely refused.

1. profile image49

Benjamin, my comment wasn't about Hubscores, per se, it was about the risk of having *good* articles flagged for subjective reasons.

1. profile image0

It might be a recurring theme mejormedia,we shall see.

2. Aficionada profile image78
            Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's interesting to compare the time of your joining HP with the time of your first post. big_smile

1. profile image0

Aficionado I joined Hubpages under a different account name at first then decided to cancel that account and start over if that's what you are referring to smile

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
                mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Benjamin, I think Aficionada was referring to Mejormedia in that post, as she quoted mejormedia above it. smile

1. profile image0

Okay lol. tongue

Yes, that is correct.  Mejormedia's first post occurred three minutes after s/he joined.  And...

That was posted three minutes after the time of joining.  The author information showed 0 Followers, 0 Hubs.  It's clearly a second account for someone, but they were/are hiding their identity.  Or else it was a total lie.

1. profile image49

An explanation...
                    I withdrew all of my original articles from Hubpages and cancelled my original account. I created the new account so I could comment on the forum. My "content farm" career is over, but I'll keep reading forums, etc. to see how people are reacting to Google's actions.

Very disappointed that HubPages deleted my first post. Of course, I can't say what it was.

2. Hestia DeVoto profile image60
    Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years ago

Benjamin,

Have you checked your hub against how HubPages defines "substandard?"  http://hubpages.com/faq/#substandard

Most often when I hear someone complain they got moderated for this, their Hub turns out to be too short, or is just personal content (more like a blog).  The personal content angle seems to be the more popular cull these days.

And have you contacted admin if you don't understand exactly why it got moderated?  I've seen Maddie (she heads up the moderation team) frequently post to threads encouraging people to contact admin if they'd like more info about what's up with their hubs.

3. profile image0

As for substandard the only thing I can figure is that it's being seen as unoriginal somehow. It does cover the basic concepts that can be found in literally 100's of thousands other articles online,but it is written originally with no exact duplicate content used and with a more basic point of view directed at the absolute beginner,something that in many niches is lacking online.

4. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

From the Help Center:

"My Hub was moderated as overly promotional; what does that mean?

Purely promotional offers and Hubs designed only to promote other sites or businesses are not allowed. In particular, the following actions are likely to get your Hubs identified as overly promotional:

•linking repeatedly to the same site within a Hub or across many Hubs
    •including links to a page that contains largely the same content as your Hub
    •linking to products or services unrelated to a Hub's content
    •including more than 2 links to any one domain
    •short "teasers" with links to "read more" at another site
    •including promotional links on content that is unoriginal (i.e. not exclusive to HubPages); promotional links can only be included on content that is exclusive to HubPages
    •linking to the same domain in the body of the text AND in an RSS feed

Please note that promotional links are links that you have any interest in promoting (your blog, your Website, affiliate offers, etc.). Links to well-known Web resources which you don't have any personal interest in (like Wikipedia, news sites, encyclopedias, open directories, etc.) are exempt from this limitation."

"My Hub was moderated as substandard; what does that mean?

Substandard simply means that the quality of the Hub does not live up to HubPages standards. Below are some common reasons that a Hub may be moderated as substandard:

•"Test" or otherwise unfinished Hubs
    •Very little content
    •Poorly-written content that is difficult to read or understand to the average reader
    •Unoriginal or purely personal content (i.e. meaningless to someone who doesn't know you)
    •Contributes nothing new in a heavily saturated topic
    •Many broken links or links to low-quality sites
    •Links with deceptive or inaccurate link text
    •Promotes or links to dubious products or offers
    •Missing videos
    •Use of photos that are heavily pixelated or contain prominent watermarks
    •Is copied from an article directory, press release, news, encyclopedia, or shopping site, or contains content that is already widely distributed on the web

Remember that you can always spend some time improving your Hub to meet HubPages standards, and submit it for republication."

--------------
    BenjaminB, is it possible that you have many links to the same site spread out across your other Hubs?  That would qualify as being overly promotional.

And the "substandard" criteria do include this: "Contributes nothing new in a heavily saturated subject."  Maybe the flagger did not notice that you did a better job of explaining the content than other sites did.

It is definitely worth contacting the staff to ask for specifics about this.  I feel certain they prefer to have productive, helpful Hubbers than cranky, disgruntled ones.  Usually a simple question directed to them is all it takes to clarify things.

1. profile image0

Aficianado look above and that answers most of what you said. I know the policies and as for the links it did not break any rules at all. In fact none of the links I had on there appear on any other Hubs I have period.

1. lrohner profile image67
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've seen a couple of posts recently where this type of thing was overturned and the reason was "new moderators." I'm sure HP has beefed up their moderating team, and maybe your hub got caught up in that? Email the team. That's the only real feedback you'll get.

1. profile image0

Yeah I have to wait a bit and see if taking out every link and deleting a couple sections will work Ironher,if I mailed them now I might get kicked off the site,lol.

1. Jason Menayan profile image59
            Jason Menayanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not a moderator but they did their job correctly.

It looks like the entire Hub is copied from another site (flixya). If that site copied you instead, then you should report it to flixya to have it taken down, and then contact team@hubpages.com.

1. profile image0

They absolutely did copy it from me then Jason. thanks for telling me that. Off to lynch Flixya.

2. profile image0

Would you happen to have a link you could mail me Jason as to where the article is posted? Might save me a ton of time,thnx.

Copy and paste a section of your Hub's text into the Google search box and then search. You will no doubt find both the Hubpages site and the Flixya site form the first two results of the search. Click on the Flixya one to go to your copied Hub.

1. Happy Hubber profile image77
                  Happy Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks to you suggestion, I just went through all of my hubs and pasted the first paragraph into a google search.  I found three that had been copied.  One was Flixya and the user had already been deleted.  The other two were not so easy.  One was a blog with no contact information, the best I could do was post a comment linking back to my article and demanding the page be taken down.  The other took a lot of searching but I finally found the email address for the site owner and sent an email requesting they remove my content.  We'll see if they actually comply.

Thanks for the tip.

You are very welcome. I am seriously looking at HubDefender now, as a good way of keeping on top of this problem. The cost is ever so low, and well worth it.

2. Jason Menayan profile image59
                Jason Menayanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://www.flixya.com/blog/2815297/How- … d-Websites
                (mistyhorizon2003's advice works, too)

You should report a DMCA violation and they should take it down shortly. Then, contact team@ and tell them your Hub was copied, and it has since been taken down.

The plagiarizing author didn't even change the final paragraph saying it's you--shameless!

1. profile image0

Thanks Jason,good tip misty smile

You are welcome. I hope you can now sort this out quickly, (I am sure Flyxia will react promptly once you inform them). Just don't forget to notify the hub team when it is sorted so they can republish your hub with an exemption to any penalties incurred due to the duplication smile

Good job you posted here, otherwise you might never have known wink

2. ThomasE profile image70
                  ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They have already suspended the... person.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87

This is good advice. It happened to me recently, and out of two criticisms sited, one was overruled as it was made by a trainee moderator incorrectly, and the other criticism consisted of a couple of very small pictures that had watermarks on them, (it was one of my early hubs when I knew no better). As soon as I deleted the watermarked pictures my hub was republished without a problem.

1. profile image0

Hmm water marked pictures. I have one on there from one of the picture sites with proper credit. Not sure if it's got a watermark though as I am not wise in the way of photos.

The watermark will be visible on the picture to anyone that looks at it if that helps smile

For example

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4712126.jpg

1. profile image0

What if I don't have water mark googles?

'Googles' ????

1. profile image0

LOL I type with 2 fingers and when I'm upset they go like crazy smile

I know that this is very upsetting to you.  That's perfectly understandable, and you make it perfectly clear.  I hope that you can understand that I was trying to be helpful, not critical. In re-reading this thread (for the third time), I still did not see where you answered what I had suggested, so it seems I am overlooking something that must be there.

I do think lrohner's observation is the most helpful here.  Hope you get it cleared up.

1. profile image0

Oh absolutely Aficianado,I just didn't want to type it all again,lol. smile

5. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

lol, the person who stole your article didn't even edit out your name in it.

1. profile image0

Yes not hard to prove that is my material,it does tick me off that whoever flagged my Hub though didn't have the common sense to realize that,but Jason has helped me out and hopefully it will be cleared up soon. Freaking crazy!

Probably no-one flagged your Hub, duplicate hubs are found by hubpage computer programs automatically, so don't take it personally smile

Edit:

A manual review may have only been cursory, and the moderator may simply have seen it was duplicated, not checked out the link to see it was clearly yours due to profile pics etc

1. profile image0

Hmmm interesting to know.

What I do find odd is the things you were 'flagged' for. I would have expected you to be flagged for duplicate content because the hub you wrote appeared elsewhere on the Internet. I would NOT expect you to be flagged for being 'substandard' or 'overly promotional' as a result of a duplicated hub. However, this could be an error by a novice moderator I guess, but can't say for certain. Might still be worth querying the nature of the 'flags' with HP too.

1. sunforged profile image71
              sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

links on duplicate content also equals "overly promotional" I think

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87

The people who steal our writings are often not very clever. I had one hub stolen that was my own personal story called 'Losing Your Virginity', what was crazy was that bearing in mind I am a woman, the person who stole it was a man, (and therefore it read really weirdly with his profile picture of a young black male next to lengthy text that referred to a young female and her male seducer), plus, to add insult to injury, he not only stole it, but he posted it back here on Hubpages, along with a couple of other hubs stolen from Hubpages too, (including one written by head of CEO Paul Edmondson). Any comments I left demanding he unpublish my hub were deleted, so I reported it to the Hub Team, and he was 'out on his ear' in under 24 hours!! LOL

What is frustrating is that to this day I still have to endure a banner at the top of the hub (only visible to me the author), stating words to the effect of "This Hub has been awarded an exemption to the duplicate content penalty", which I would not have to if he had never copied my hub in the first place.

1. profile image0

Oh boy you mean I get rewarded for writing a great Hub and being copied with my own personal scarlet letter,lmao.

Afraid so Benjamin, but on the plus side no-one but you can see it smile (I still hope they will find a way to remove this one day though, as it is mildly annoying to see whenever I go into the hub whilst logged in).

1. profile image0

Misty my Hub was reinstated finally and I have no mark on it like you described. I guess that is just unique to you smile

Strange. My Hub was originally flagged as 'Duplicate'  so not the same flags you received/described. I seem to remember I also got a 'D' or the word 'Duplicate' by the relevant hub in 'My Account' too. It was only when I got the copied hub removed that I got the banner appear at the top of my hub when I logged in, and it is still there to this day.

Really delighted your hub was finally reinstated though. Great stuff big_smile

6. WoodsmensPost profile image61
    WoodsmensPostposted 13 years ago

She also copied this hub http://hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Make_Mon … es_Program
    by hubber quotations

and this one http://hubpages.com/hub/Best-Valentines … -for-Women

by hubber Marye Audet

1. profile image0

Well it would seem she is just a nifty little ignorant copy machine. Good catch Woodsmen.

7. WoodsmensPost profile image61
    1. profile image0

Geez crazy!!

8. WoodsmensPost profile image61
  9. WoodsmensPost profile image61

Glad you brought it to the forums BenjaminB and glad you didn't over react to HP staff smile Good luck

10. profile image0

LOL I took a little bit of the Hub off thinking they may have been unacceptable parts. Should I recopy them from the thief then put them back lmao.

11. tlpoague profile image80
    tlpoagueposted 13 years ago

Hi Benjamin,
    I don't know if this will help you much, but when I had read in the forums that so many hubs were being "stole" and recopied, I went to the site called HubDefender and signed up. Fellow hubber Edwardo created it to protect hubbers from this happening. Again I don't know if I can help, as my mind is still trying to figure out the changes with Google and HubPages. He has helped me out alot.

1. profile image0

Thnx tip I'll have to check that out smile

12. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

I emailed Flyxia myself, (even though this didn't effect me directly). I got a very fast response.. see below:

Hello Cindy,

Thank you for the email. We have taken the appropriate action regarding this matter.

Regards,

Ingrid
    Flixya Support

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Misty Horizon <snipped> wrote:

Dear Sir/Madam,

This user on your site

http://www.flixya.com/user/Caitrinas

appears to have copied virtually everything she has published from the Hubpages site. I suspect you are about to be inundated with complaints from Hubpages writers, and would strongly recommend to remove this person from your site and delete all their articles immediately.

Thank you

Regards

Cindy

(mistyhorizon2003 on hubpages, as yet, not a victim thank goodness)

I have tried clicking on the User's link too, and it says she has been suspended..... hooray big_smile

1. profile image0

cool beans,yes I was pleased they pulled it down quickly,but Hub still not back up yet sad

1. ThomasE profile image70
        ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately they are very busy at the moment, so it could take a while. Have you emailed the team explaining what happened?

13. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Wow I just saw this.. Glad that all has is well now Benjamin.

14. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Thanks to Misty, I just followed the Flixya link and got "User suspended."

1. profile image0

She needs her knee caps broke,that would appease me!!

15. Vala Faye profile image60
    Vala Fayeposted 13 years ago

Here's a question...when looking at those rules for linking, I'm wondering if this includes linking to amazon affiliates. What I mean is..if you promote, through amazon, every time the same books for instance, due to them being relevant to your niche, does that also get you into trouble?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In text links will count as I understand it, but using the Amazon or eBay capsule does not.

1. Vala Faye profile image60
        Vala Fayeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ahh, nice to know, tnx wink

16. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

It's too bad there's not a thing on "My Account" where, if we see "duplicate content", we could at least "record" whether we had anything to do with the duplicates at all, or whether they're stolen.  (A little "reverse flag" of sorts.)

Then (in my imaginings of what would be great to have in an ideal Hub world) maybe HubPages could have some kind of automated thing that kept picking up on all those "reverse flags" Hubbers put out there; and would then send the whole business to Google (and anybody else that mattered).   hmm

Of course, that wouldn't help us with what doesn't get picked up by HubPages, but it would help prevent Hubbers from having their stolen stuff look like they're the ones who stole it.

17. profile image0

You know the more I think about this the more it just straight pizzes me off.That's fine if some kind of program flags stuff as duplicate,but to not have a human who takes the time to quickly browse the situation is a JOKE.

As everyone said above this girl was copying everything from the Hub and the one she copied of mine included my picture in it,a screen shot of one my websites and my hubber name mentioned at least 4 times. If a human can't figure out that I was the original writer of that then perhaps they are not qualified for the job!

So now here I sit approaching 1/2 a day without one of my best hubs being published for something that I didn't do! Funny I emailed Flixya and it took them a whole 20 minutes to pull down the article from their site. TICK TOCK TICK TOCK TICK TOCK Hubpages,PUT MY HUB BACK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. profile image0

Still waiting.........................still waiting...........................still waiting........................you get the idea!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)