Is it enough

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)
  1. greathub profile image63
    greathubposted 15 years ago

Hi

Is it enough to mention the name of website when displaying or using a picture from any other website?

Does it fulfill all legal responsibilites?

Can I use photos from any website on net?

Regards
    Muhammad Ali.

1. StefanMDP profile image77
      StefanMDPposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No

The safe way. Go here

http://flickr.com/search/advanced/

Check "Creative Commons-licensed content"

Acknowledge the author

An example

http://hubpages.com/hub/Hair---Color-or-Go-Gray

2. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 15 years ago

The short answer to your questions is 'NO'. It MAY not be enough to only mention the name of a website when displaying or using a picture from that website.

1. greathub profile image63
      greathubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Please elaborate.

3. SweetiePie profile image80
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

In the day of the digital camera I think it is best to try and take as many of your own pictures as possible.  Just take a digital camera around with you and take pictures of things you see.  For instance, yesterday I saw a beautiful French pumpkin and I decided to take a picture of it because I know I can use this for something in the future.  Taking your own pictures means you do not have to do any research or ask permission, which is a bonus smile.  Also, in my experience it is easier to write about pictures I took myself because as it is a sense of inspiration for my writing.

4. Marian Swift profile image61
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

I'm trying to take more of my own pictures.  But I do a lot of historical Hubs, and some of those folks haven't given a photo op in 75-100 years!

Rather than wait for them to ... ahh ... revive their public careers, I use Library of Congress photos or Wikimedia Commons.

Wikimedia Commons has images from the Victorian Era to Right Now.  CAUTION:  Rights do differ among the photos.  To make sure your chosen photo is OK to use as you wish, click to make the photo full size.  Rights info will appear near the bottom of the page.

1. David Ventura profile image60
      David Venturaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Marian

Thanks for sharing these sites! I have bookmarked both of them to use in future hubs.

5. anne.moss profile image62
    anne.mossposted 15 years ago

Here's another resource for photographs:
    http://www.sxc.hu/

It's a community too, so you're encouraged to add your own photos to the reservoir (be warned - they're huge so pretty choosy by now - I only got about half of my submissions accepted).

You should read the permissions and terms of use for each photo. Some require that you contact them prior to using the image, but many let you use the photo without that, as long as you keep to the TOS (only in legal sites etc).

6. margaretjd profile image62
    margaretjdposted 15 years ago

I search for stock photos all the time. I use Everystockphoto.com regularly. They display photos from StockXChange, Flickr, Morguefile and others. But before using these photos, always track them back to the original site where they are posted. Then check the rights the poster of the image has allowed. Though StockXChange, Flickr and others will display many photos, not all of them are for free use. Of course, always credit the photographer as completely as you can.

As stated by others, Wikimedia Commons is also great for public domain photos. A tip: when you find one image that you like on Wikimedia, click on the contributor's gallery. There could be many more that you might like to use for future projects. I found a great source for public domain anatomical drawings this way.

For public domain government photos of all sorts, you can go straight to Library of Congress on Flickr.

Also, search Google images using the terms "public domain" plus the subject you're seeking. Once again, be sure to track the photo back to its source.

Another thing, even when the image is offered for use free of charge, be careful about displaying candid photos of people. They have not necessarily agreed to have their pictures displayed.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

It is interesting to see that some people are sensitive to this-- others don't understand why they should be.  I know a couple of photographers who will willingly share-- and I always credit them.
    Otherwise, I use confirmed public domain images-- or I make my own from scanning actual objects, using my iMac photobooth, or even using my own sketches or drawings.

I also think adding the Amazon capsules adds graphic interest in some cases.
    Even finding a way to break up your text with italics and bold face helps the look of your hubs.
    Good point, Margaret, about photos which may not have personal releases-- especially for  children photos,

8. steimmanbernard profile image60
    steimmanbernardposted 15 years ago

flickr is cool!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)