Where do you guys get photos?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Jadeofheart profile image66
    Jadeofheartposted 9 years ago

Hello, happy new year, thanks in advance for helping me out. I'm new here, and I would like to ask, where do you guys get your photos? Hubpages clearly stated that we need to use original photos? But, I'm not a photographer nor have any budget to purchase photos whatsoever. I'm wondering, what if I do Screen cap? Will that be okay?

1. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wikimedia Commons is a good place to start. Flickr is good but you have to know how to search for the photos that are legal to use. There's also pixabay and, as already mentioned, morguefile. There are other ways to find photos you can use, but those are good starting points.

Jadeofheartposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for increasing my options. I find this very helpful! smile Thanks again smile

1. NateB11 profile image89
          NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

no problem.

2. PegCole17 profile image93
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Do you have a phone? Most phones are equipped with a camera that will capture a great shot. You can send the photo to yourself via email or to social media, then use it to enhance your postings. Original photos are easy and free. Otherwise, try the Wikimedia Commons Images and when you check on the detail be sure that the image is free to use.
      Best of luck to you and welcome. Hope to see some hubs from you.

1. Niko Linni profile image79
        Niko Linniposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is a good point here. And with most recent day iPhones you don't even have to email them to yourself - For Windows users: Connect iPhone, go into My Computer, and you should see your iPhone connected to the computer. You should be able to go into it, and they'll be in a folder - silly me I forgot the name - but it starts with a D. If you find the right one your photos should be in there as .jpgs, and you can easily copy them from your iPhone to your computer from there.

3. lorddraven2000 profile image91
      lorddraven2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I prefer to use my own photos or photos from my archives at the library I run but I do occasionally get them from online searches.

4. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you look on the slider in my profile, you'll find a Hub about how to use photos legally in your Hubs and where to find them.

5. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jade,

You've gotten some great responses here. This list is also a nice place to start for finding free images you can use on Hubs.

As for using screen shots, some may be covered under Fair Use, but it's usually safer to use your own photos, or photos you know for sure are free to use and legally available.

1. DawnMSamora profile image67
        DawnMSamoraposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Christy, Thanks for sharing these sites. I checked out the first site, and it is really neat. Thank you, DawnM

6. zinfoway-murali profile image60
      zinfoway-muraliposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can get images from public domain websites. There are many public domain image websites available in the internet, search a suitable image and use it here. Hoping this will help you. Thanks...

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

You don't need to make your own photographs. You do not to have the legal right to use the photos you post.  For example those in the public domain or posted for use at Foter, morguefile etc.

Thank you for your reply, what about doing screen cap? smile

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

You would have to have the legal right to use whatever you were screencapping, or be covered by fair use doctrine.  How you capture the image is not really the issue, but whether you have the right to display it online.

Thank you so much. It helps! smile

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
    LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years ago

Search for images like photos of dogs, then go to advanced search and select free to use,even commercially. These are usually safe to use. However the best site so far that I have seen is Pixabay. 90% of their images are categorized as public domain.

Oh, thank you so much, I will try that out! smile

5. treaderind profile image61
    treaderindposted 9 years ago

simplest way is to avoid copyrighted images, avoid graphics etc

6. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

thank you for your reply. I'll give them a read smile

7. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Jadeofheart,
    I do not have a camera and use Wikimedia Commons most of the time as my first choice. They list below the photos (enlarged views) whether they are free to share, which most of them are. Go to the following link:
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/lega … d_14267249
    The list that shows photo sites to choose from which HP accepts. Halfway down you will see Wikimedia - click on that to read about their site.

Thank you! This helps a lot. smile

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
        The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome. By the way, welcome to HubPages. smile

8. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
    LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years ago

On more thing, when you see the copyright look for the terms.  Most start with the letters CC followed by what the author's will allow.
    For example:
    CC-BY 2.0-=all you need is to list the credit
    CC- BY-NC 3.0= you may use it but not on HP if you have adds or Amazon,Ebay capsules
    CC- BY-ND 3.0= means that you can use it but cannot alter the image
    Do not worry about the numbers.
    BY= by line
    NC=non commercial
    ND=non derivative
    SA=share alike

The HP learning link given by The Examiner-1 explains more about each series of letters.

Thank you. This information is quite useful smile

9. susi10 profile image95
    susi10posted 9 years ago

I've written two hubs on getting images for use here on HubPages. You'll find both hubs on the Carousel in my profile.

My list would be: Unsplash, Wikimedia Commons, Pixabay.com, MorgueFile, freedigitalphotos.net and Death To The Stock Photos. All their images are free but have different licenses. My hubs detail what licenses they have.
    Good luck! :-)

Thank you! I'll give them a read smile

10. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

Welcome to HubPages, Jadeofheart. 

I use Wikipedia for photos that are in Public Domain or Creative Commons. Just click on a photo or image you like and when the large image comes up, click on "More Details" to get the license information. If it is in Public Domain or Creative Commons, you can use it for your hubs. Just make sure to include credit in the photo capsule in your hub when entering.

http://pixabay.com/   is also a site with free images. Bing Images is a good place to find photos. When you go there, enter a category and search the images for one you like . However, it is time consuming to find a free image there. You have to go to the original source for license information.

Good luck and best wishes with your hubs.

Thank you. The details you provided are so informative. smile

11. Shades-of-truth profile image81
    Shades-of-truthposted 9 years ago

I have found some photos over the years, from government sites, too. Most of them are in the public domain. Often, I find I photo I would like to use, on someone's website. I ask permission to use it, and everyone so far has said I could, with attribution.

I see, thank you for this information smile

12. Ladymermaid profile image84
    Ladymermaidposted 9 years ago

Morguefile (free photos) and Wikimedia Commons are my favorites.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You know, I see a lot of hubbers who use morguefile and I have never tried it. I should check that out. Thanks for the mention.

1. profile image0
        Lorelei Cohenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have only recently been using it more often Phyllis and I love the variety of high quality photos available there. Very impressive.

13. neosurk profile image88
    neosurkposted 9 years ago

My first choice is always Pixabay. Second is Flickr. I like Flickr more because it is much easy to sort out photos which you can legally use (even commercially). The advanced search tool of Flickr allows you to search for only CC photos which can be used even for monetizing.

http://www.flickr.com/search/advanced

14. Shorebirdie profile image74
    Shorebirdieposted 9 years ago

Other than my own photos, I use Creative Commons. Make sure you check the boxes for Commercial Use. Be careful with using share-alike as the rules are tricky with those sometimes. Also, I would be careful using photos with identifiable people in them unless you know they signed a release. The same goes for photos of items with brand names as sometimes they're trademarked.

15. Jadeofheart profile image66
    Jadeofheartposted 9 years ago

The information here is very helpful. Thanks again you guys, I now have numerous options to look for a photo. smile

1. DawnMSamora profile image67
      DawnMSamoraposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jade,
      I am new also. I have been nervous not knowing what kind of photos to use.  This discussion is helpful for me also. Thank you for opening it. I have used freedigitalphotos,  like Uzochukwu Mike talked about. I get kind of confused on Wikimedia Commons. Maybe this is because I am new to the site. I will also try to take a picture on my phone and send to my email like PegCole17 mentioned. Thanks so much!  DawnM

16. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

Some suggested free digital photos in some forum posts.

Thank you mike smile

17. incomeguru profile image95
    incomeguruposted 9 years ago

pixabay.com is a good place to get free images.

18. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 9 years ago

MorgueFile is my favorite place to go for free photos.  Another site is 123rf.com   Many of their photos are free, but for a small fee (pennies), you can purchase their outstanding photos.  I do like Pixabay, too.  I notice some people use a photo from Pinterest.....I wonder if that is permissible??

19. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 9 years ago

Pixabay and Wikimedia Commons, when permissible.

20. profile image0
    Lorelei Cohenposted 9 years ago

Lately I am loving Pixabay's photos. If you are doing a recipe or craft project article though it is best to use your own photos as this makes your article much more reputable. I did up an article on where to get free pictures, clip art etc and how to use these. It is in my profile highlight if you would like to check out the sites I use. A good one for animal photos is US fish and Wildlife digital library. Images are donated to the public domain so free for your use. smile There are lots of great spots for photos.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)