Demographics of HubPage Writers

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. American_Choices profile image79
    American_Choicesposted 12 years ago

Is there a survey that tells us what and who we are out here on HubPages? I was curious as to who we are - retired, age, sex, educational level.

1. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so. You could make a hub with a bunch of polls, though. Although your research would be skewed to the demographic most likely to subject themselves to possible market research by voting in said polls. tongue

2. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay, I'll play!

retired: yes

sex: Yes. The kinkier, the better! (no kids or animals)

education: college degree

socio-economic: middle class

religion: Christian

political: moderate-conservative (liberal on some social issues)

married: yes

children: 3 grown daughters

grandkids: 8

dogs: 2 Great Danes

cats: lots of feral felines

3. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know how accurate this is (because this kind of stuff is always all that accurate), and I don't know if "audience" is at all the same as "users"; but these people have some demographics put together (but for "audience").

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/hubpages.com#

I pretty much only put enough about my personal "details" to give people "a rough idea" or "pretty good idea" of who/what I am.  I'm not comfortable putting a whole lot of personal info all in one place anywhere online (hence the partial-face that would require someone needing a photo id to have to work a little harder).  My personal info tends to scattered through my stuff online; but again, mining that would take a little more time and effort.  (So I don't always try to keep some details a secret - just not put them where anyone looking for them would find them all in one place.  smile  )

Anyway, I'm in my fifties, obviously a woman, and am not retired by any stretch of the imagination.  Three grown kids.  .

2. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I dunno.  I think 15% are eagles, maybe 5% are large crosses, 10% cartoon characters, 20% well known historical people, 8% more obscure historical folk, 6% inscrutable designs..

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

...there's a whole lotta cats too!

4. Pcunix profile image92

I just did a very quick count of the top twenty hubbers vs. a group of twenty selected from the 70's scores.

Obvious human picture:  top 20 has 11, 70 score: 5
    Animal: top 2, 70 1
    cartoon: top 1, 70's none
    photo of some kind, not person, not animal: top 6, 70's 7
    obvious logo: top none, 70's 1
    silhouette of generic human: top none, 70's 6

I think a deeper study might draw some interesting conclusions.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Haha smile Everything except the human and generic human differ so that's not a big difference big_smile

1. Pcunix profile image92
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd disagree.  I think people like recognizable photos the most.   Branding is part of it, of course, but also our brains have very deep processing for human faces.   We pay much more attention to a face and will remember it far more easily than any random picture.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think most people thing most people think the same why they do....

Me, I prefer cats.

2. habee profile image92

True. The human brain usually tries to form faces from many different types of patterns: clouds, the flames of a fire, etc.

3. Pcunix profile image92

Which reminds me that I need a better profile picture..  I guess I'll have to shave :-(

1. habee profile image92

You don't look 63! My hubby is 64, and he doesn't look that old, either. In his case, it's because he has such a sweet, kind, understanding wife who never gives him any stress.

1. Pcunix profile image92

That certainly wouldn't explain it for me :-)

My wife is Italian; she's got attitude soaked into every cell of her being.

Let's go with good genes instead.

5. Pcunix profile image92

Sure, why not:

retired: pretty much, but will never quit entirely

sex: M

education: autodidact

socio-economic: varies, but always have enough

religion: never

political: whacko aclu liberal

married: yes, but only since 1967 so we'll see how it goes

children: 2 grown daughters

grandkids: none and not likely to ever have any

dogs: none and not likely to ever have any

cats: not now and not likely to ever have any

6. Pcunix profile image92

By the way, Habee, you just happened to remind me of something that let me dash of a quick hub.  Thank you!

7. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

I got this from this one -- http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco … pages.html -- that was published in May 2011

"As the world of blogging continues to grow in size and demographics, the average age of a HubPages blogger hovers around 35-50 years old.

Typical HubPages bloggers include stay-at-home mothers and near-retirees looking to create content they don’t see online and supplement their income."

Maybe the HP can know those demographic data by posting basic demo questions in the account section, just ranges will do - age, gender, employment status - student included if that is even possible. The account owner may not be the one writing the hubs - maybe their gf or wife/husband.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

With the exception of no making an effort to hide the fact that I'm "female" (I hate that term when it's applied to human beings), I don't give to information more than is absolutely necessary to any site, no matter what they ask.  If a site were to ask for too much unnecessary info, and if being a member depended on giving the info they wanted - I'd find another site.  (Of course, I've turned down a lot of decent opportunities because I'm not willing to post a professional head shot on the Internet.  hmm)

In a forum thread about how old Hubbers are (from ages ago), I got the impression that there are a lot of people in the 18-35 range (with lots in the college-age range).  A  REAL lot in that 35-50 range mentioned previously, and "quite a few" in their 60's.   I know there are people in their 70's and 80's, but we don't see them showing up nearly as often as the 60's people do. 

In any event, I can certainly believe that the average age "hovers around 35-50", because it's the impression I've had for quite awhile, even without any formal statistics.  Not sure my own impression goes along with the thing about "typical" HP people being stay-at-home mothers and "near-retirees" - but what do I know...

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mam, that could be optional information if you want to answer it, but I doubt if they will be interested to get those data. That is the only way we can approximate the demographics of HP writers here as per the OPs question. I think there are 200,000 plus hubbers, so getting that info might be quite difficult. I know a hubber who is 80 plus years old too but I don't see him here at the forum.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)