jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Q&A voting

1. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 4 years ago

I feel that the voting system is flawed in the Q&A section.

"HubPages members may vote an Answer up or down depending on how well they feel it answers the question. Every Answer starts with a single up vote (by the author of the Answer)."

I recently wrote an answer to an 'opinion' question - I opposed the question but explained why - I received two down votes because someone didn't agree with me - this is not what the voting is for - I answered the question even though someone disagreed with it.

Maybe there should be more scope in the vote; Instead of a simple yes and no, have some more choices like agree with, disagree with, answers the question, doesn't answer the question.

The problem I have is that if you get enough opinionated people voting, any answers that oppose the main question will simply disappear so there is no 'balanced' debate.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 4 years ago

If the up and down arrows were just relabeled "agree" and "disagree" that would fix a lot of it.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yep - I was perhaps getting toooooooo complicated.

2. Fawntia profile image
      Fawntiaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ideally, people would vote up good answers even if they disagree. An up vote is not supposed to mean "agree," and a down vote is not supposed to mean "disagree." I have voted up answers many times that I disagree with. But of course, we can't force people to use the voting buttons in the way that we would like.

The instructions on the page say the following: Please vote up an answer if it adds to the discussion, or vote it down if it does not.

3. UnnamedHarald profile image94
    UnnamedHaraldposted 4 years ago

Well, it IS confusing. When I get a notification email that so-and-so has answered a question, it adds:

"Make sure to vote up so-and-so's answer if you like it!".

So, we are instructed to vote it up if we like it and, by implication, vote it down if we don't like it. This does seem to contradict the instructions previously mentioned. Right or wrong, it seems most (myself included) are used to indicating their level of agreement with ups/downs rather than whether it adds to the discussion.

Good question.