How should trolls on HP be punished?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

How should trolls on HP be punished?

We've all seen it, trolls voting down nearly every/every answer to a question when the answers clearly add to the discussion. Shouldn't there be a limit on how many answers to a single question a single hubber can vote down?

2. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

I think the people should be identified........and be asked a reason why they are voting an answer down....

Express10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good answer, if the avatar of those voting answers down answers was displayed that would be a nice deterrent and going one step further requiring them to comment on why they voted down would end trolling on HP.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

They should be deep fried in oil and fed to the Google Panda.

That sounds like a great idea, they have nothing to add to the discussion, just take away from those that do.

4. The Frog Prince profile image71
    The Frog Princeposted 11 years ago

It's easy and other forums have handled it appropriately by banning those who abuse the system.  It extends past questions and answers to questions.  Trolls here vote down articles without having to give a valid reason for doing so.  Flags require explanation and so should a vote down.  The technology is sitting in their hands to identify the abusers.  I have questioned what legitimate forum fails to act and why it allows the abuse to continue.  To a troll it is a silly game.  This isn't a game site.

The Frog

Why is the technology not being put to use.  You said it best "To a troll it is a silly game. This isn't a game site."

5. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 11 years ago

Ok, this will sound a little over the top, but I do think they should be excommunicated by the Church.

Awesome.

6. Tonipet profile image80
    Tonipetposted 11 years ago

In my opinion, it's best to have them identified for an explanation. This way they'll have to understand how different people make different reasons, and should just be respected.

I often disagree with others but I never vote them down because usually they are adding their opinion or experience to the discussion. Trolling only provides a negative experience for those who are truly trying to enjoy lively discussions here.

2. Tonipet profile image80
      Tonipetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh express10. So glad to know this answer you find best. Thank you and more power to you!

7. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Easy, if everyone would ignore them they would go away.  Voting down answers really doesn't mean anything and I don't take it personally when my answers are voted down.

1. The Frog Prince profile image71
      The Frog Princeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've been on many forums and they won't just go away unless they are made to go away.  They are like children.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Trolls" only have power when people give it to them.  Ignore them and they are powerless.

3. Sherry Hewins profile image93
      Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, the only reason they do it is for the attention they get. They like to stir the pot and discussions like this feed into that. Who cares if what they do? The votes are meaningless.

4. Express10 profile image85

It's not easy...when you go to answer a question and every single answer has been voted down the exact SAME number of times that is a problem because a single person has done this anonymously & not added to the discussion, only voted down.

8. xanzacow profile image60
    xanzacowposted 11 years ago

Maybe if we only had the up button. Either vote it up or do nothing at all. That is what I do anyway. I say remove the down button!

1. xanzacow profile image60
      xanzacowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Express10 profile image85

I had to vote your answer up because it adds to the discussion and it appears you have been a victim of the trolls...

9. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago
    1. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I misunderstood the question and wrote an answer on trolls on the forum.  Those people need to be ignored as they want power. Maybe the same answer if they keep voting down answers for no good reason.

2. Express10 profile image85

The problem is that ignoring them doesn't deter this behavior or stop it. The trolls make an otherwise good user experience negative and there is a number of these anonymous people that stalk others with the sole purpose of voting down others hubs.

10. courtyB3 profile image60
    courtyB3posted 11 years ago

OMG I completely agree with your solution. I am new here and already have 2 stalkers that have not only sent me hate mail but are trolling me on forums and questions and voting me down. So frustrating! I wish there was an easy report button we could just say "look at this yahoo and make him quit it!"

This is a problem and as long as the trolls are allowed to hide, their negative behavior that doesn't contribute to discussions will continue or get worse. I know others who also are being stalked only to be voted down & harassed.

11. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

lol. Although I prefer Haunty's answer the most, will toss my two pennies in:
    Three Days rations -and a stick- on their was across the desert of Exile.

No seriously, trolls are common in social forums. And the way HP is designed, can infiltrate articles, Q&A, etc. They have been good lately at finding these colorful, yet grumpy bridge dwellers, and removing them. But, we should alll keep our eyes open and report it.
    James.

12. SayItWithFeeling profile image60
    SayItWithFeelingposted 11 years ago

I completely agree and think there should be a limit.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)