Celebrity Pics from TV, Movies, Music...free to use in hubs?

1. Kate Downs profile image86
    Kate Downsposted 7 years ago

Okay, another question.  This one has been on my mind for a long time.

I keep seeing hubs with celebrity photos.  Some include screen shots from movies. Others include pics of currently famous musicians.  They add a lot to the hubs, but I thought is was illegal.

I assume people are not willing to pay the money to buy the rights to display these images.  If they aren't paying for the rights, how are they legally using the images?

I know it's legal to use celeb images for the sake of parody, but these aren't parody articles.  I don't want to get anyone in trouble so I won't post a link, but examples are easy to find through browsing or searching.

Again, this question is not intended to get anyone in trouble.  I just want to know if I am wrong and it IS legal.  I have some hub ideas that I haven't acted on because I thought I couldn't get any good pictures to include. 

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

As far as I know, you are not allowed to use them without permission or unless they are copyright free. Most photographs of celebrities that appear on Wikipedia are free to use...but not all of them, you have to check the rights. If you are reviewing a movie or a book you are legally allowed to have a picture of the cover or box. It's the same with pictures from Facebook, if you are posting photographs of your "friends" you legally should get a release if you want to post them to a site like this or you blog.

Of course, a lot of people ignore copyright law and argue if they got it from another site that excuses them. It doesn't.

This debate has gone on a few times in the forum.

3. Kate Downs profile image86
    Kate Downsposted 7 years ago

Thanks for the information.  I'm not trying to spark a debate, but figure out if I am limiting myself without cause.

You have cleared up a lot.  Thanks!