jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Google reappraises Backlinks

1. Will Apse profile image91
    Will Apseposted 4 years ago

From the latest algo changes announcement:

'Link evaluation. We often use characteristics of links to help us figure out the topic of a linked page. We have changed the way in which we evaluate links; in particular, we are turning off a method of link analysis that we used for several years. We often rearchitect or turn off parts of our scoring in order to keep our system maintainable, clean and understandable.'

http://insidesearch.blogspot.com/2012/0 … anges.html

Sounds like something to do with anchor text.

1. sofs profile image87
      sofsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Could you explain that a little further... if that is possible. I am trying to learn as much as I can from these threads. Thank you.

1. Will Apse profile image91
        Will Apseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm not the best person to learn about backlinks from. I don't backlink, beyond links that genuinely benefit visitors or modest promotion of new sites.

I dislike backlinking because it is an attempt to undermine the efforts of Google search to find the best results.

If you get lousy results in a search it will most likely be down to blackhat SEO (and all backlinking campaigns are blackhat).

If you write a great hub and do your onpage SEO well enough but it never ranks...

That again is probably down to the armies of backlinkers.

Harness the wasted energy of backlinking and you could probably run the internet for free.

1. sofs profile image87
          sofsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks ... I am not a great backlinker either.. I just write in a number of places and link similar articles together.
          I understand that Google is coming down heavily against those who have reached high on SERPS with their backlinks..

2. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 4 years ago

Cool.. this should help 'clean up' artificial Link Farms and deflate a few cheats! smile

For Quality Content (and BS) this should also help gauge their 'standalone' worth, with a bit of luck... Good!

3. Will Apse profile image91
    Will Apseposted 4 years ago

I will be interested to see how it impacts heavy backlinkers.

I doubt if Google will really get on top of the problem for a while, though.

4. PaulGoodman67 profile image91
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago

It's classic Google vagueness.  They tell you what they are going to do, without telling you what they are going to do!

I don't bother backlinking on HubPages because HP give you hundreds of links through the way that they've structured the site.  If Google target those types of backlink, however, then HP will tumble down the search engine results!

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think you're right.  I have long believed that the sudden jump in traffic that many of us saw with the advent of subdomains originated with the sudden appearance of hundreds or thousands of backlinks from "outside" sites - Hp in general.

It also could have been a reason that many saw a sudden decrease - those backlinks came about too suddenly and confused the SE.  They were an "obvious" backlink strategy and of no value.

If those hundreds of links from HP to our subdomain are suddenly devalued it could most definitely affect our results, and in a very negative way.