jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Citing sources

1. Lwelch profile image94
    Lwelchposted 4 years ago

I would love to see a citation feature that would build a source list for us much like you see on wikipedia.  I want to be able to drop a source in as I write and have a bibliography and footnote notation appear.  Right now I highlight text and use links or place a links capsule with works referenced but this doesn't work for all sources that are used.  I feel this idea would help make hubs more authoritative for those who would want to use it.

1. Bedbugabscond profile image88
      Bedbugabscondposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree, I would love to see an option for citing sources. I use MLA format; mostly because that is what they drilled in to our heads in college. What format do you use to cite sources?

1. Dale Hyde profile image86
        Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I had no idea what MLA format was until I did a search. I can certainly see why having such a tool to cite with would be beneficial! That MLA format would be a hard one to get down pat!

2. habee profile image90
        habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Do you use internal citations in your hubs, or the works cited just at the end?

1. Bedbugabscond profile image88
          Bedbugabscondposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am using original work from my experience for now. However, I have a lot of sources I want to use. Citing them is what makes me nervous. When I do I will use both in text and works cited at the end. Although, I am not sure I will use in text citations the way MLA format uses them. There are other ways to do it that might be less obtrusive. I dunno though, I haven't decided.

1. habee profile image90
            habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree that in text MLA citations will probably be a bit intrusive.

2. Lwelch profile image94
          Lwelchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It depends on the Hub.  Right now I often just link text at the appropriate spot in a capsule or add a links tab to the right or at the end.  It all varies.  I think if it were official and was MLA or APA or would just go at the bottom, maybe after comments even.

2. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

+1

3. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 4 years ago

I sure hope if HP decides to do this, they choose MLA instead of APA!

4. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Even just a basic endnoting feature would be nice.

working