jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Spell Checker Glitch

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago

Hub Pages Personnel:

Please follow this link to a thread about problems with the spell-check utility.  I'm guessing it was inadvertently posted in the wrong topic forum, as there has been no input from staff.

I thought if I 'reported' it, the thread would go away, and so would the others' comments acknowledging there is a problem.

Thank you.

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Staff rarely reply in the forums - this forum is more for feedback from other members, not staff. It's probably easier to get their attention by emailing them directly.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
        DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

OH.  Given the title of this particular forum, I would have thought otherwise--that this would be THE ONE forum they would be checking on, and frequently...

1. Dale Hyde profile image85
          Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It does seem that the name of this forum topic is a tad misleading, lol.

2. Anna Marie Bowman profile image92
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 4 years ago

They do check this forum, when they can, though they don't always post a reply right away.

3. Mark Painter profile image61
    Mark Painterposted 4 years ago

I found two things that are making the, built-in to Hub modules, spell checker very confusing to use.  1) Browsers except for IE have their own out-of-the-box spell checkers.  When these are in operation, they interfere with the HubPages spell checker.  2) When a draft of a Hub under edit is saved, the spell checker markup is stripped so that we save a clean draft.  When this happens, it feels like the spell checker didn't do anything, or like one can't scroll through its results.

My plan is to flag the Hub edit box so that the browser won't spell check it, and to disable the saving of drafts when there is spell checker markup on the page.  You can remove the spell checker markup by clicking on the spell checker button a second time.  That way, if you want to save a draft with spelling errors, you still can.

These changes will be out on the site, soon.  After they are, I will find out if they are the full extent of issues some Hubbers have been reporting.