NateB11 profile image 91

Beginning at the turn of the 20th century, have America's wars been primarily rooted in economics?

The Philippine American War was America's first war overseas. It has been said that the reason for it was primarily economic, at least partly due to fear of China dominating trade in Asia. Some would argue much of the war since that time has had economic roots, even the First World War.

S Leretseh profile image67

S Leretseh says

• NateB11 profile image

Nathan Bernardo (NateB11) 4 years ago

I very much agree with you on those points;I think the war in the Philippines was an imperialist venture,and certainly Eisenhower's warning was rooted in fact, and the wars that proceeded seem to prove it.The war industry today certainly shows it.

0

Old Empresario says

• NateB11 profile image

Nathan Bernardo (NateB11) 4 years ago

I've heard much about Smedley and "War is a Racket";I was wanting to purchase that book.That is a fascinating piece of history,and I suspected as much.There are many facts that point to this: Land-owners control of government,expansion west,etc.