jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

More Musings

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7902553_f248.jpg
    There are five stages of prejudice according to Gordon Allport,  author of THE NATURE OF PREJUDICE.   The 5 stages are(1) antilocution  i.e. making derogatory statements/remarks regarding a certain ethnic or racial group,(2)avoidance i.e. having little or no contact with the particular ethnic or racial group in question, (3) discrimination i.e. establishing laws and/or acting in ways to deny equal access/opportunities to members of a certain ethnic or racial group, (4) physical attack of an ethnic or racial group i.e. lynching or mobbing (5) extermination/annihilation-genocidal practices against an ethnic or racial group.   Let's discuss this in detail.
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7902608.jpg

1. 0
      Sarra Garrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I love your forums GM.  Prejudice comes from the 'fear of the unknown'.  For some unearthly reason people are afraid of others who look different than themselves.  It's a sad world for sure.  When I lived in South Carolina there is a saying : "strange fruit grow from southern trees".  This was referring to the lynchings that took place there.  There is a popular restaurant in Columbia that has lynching photographs all over the walls and slurrs all over the sidewalk.  It's considered a 'landmark'.  Really?  I thought it was just horrendous.  I had to loose my Maine accent because of the prejudice against yankees.  It was a truely eye opening experience for me.  I bought my first house in Gaston, SC.  Only to find out that my neighbor's father was the Grand Dragon of the KKK.  I sold my house  a year later because I didn't want to be associated with that.  There are good and bad in all races, creeds and colors of people. Unfortunately, we will all never get along.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It is a shame that prejudice continues to exist.  People have not learned the lessons from genocide.  Genocidal acts are continuing around the world.  When will humanking evolve beyond tribalism and into universalism?

1. 0
          Sarra Garrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

unfortunately never.

working