What are your feelings about racial/ethnic births surpassing Caucasians births i

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (43 posts)
  1. pagesvoice profile image72
    pagesvoiceposted 11 years ago

What are your feelings about racial/ethnic births surpassing Caucasians births in the U.S.?

According to 2011 estimates by the Census, for the first time, racial and ethnic births make up more than 50% of all births in the United States. How will this impact the U.S. in the next 20 years?

2. MickS profile image59
    MickSposted 11 years ago

I don't suppose it will hit it, but it may have an effect.
    Is this an underhand attempt to allow all the racists to have a good vent?
    Let's hope that the Native Americans are in that increase, it may push them along the way to getting their lands back that were stolen from them by the Caucasian invaders.

pagesvoiceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No...this was not my intent...rather it was curiosity on my part how others felt. Personally, I feel the more diversity the better. I'm not sure if Native Americans were included. I just read about it on Yahoo News.

2. Lions Den Media profile image60
      Lions Den Mediaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

American Indians did not own the land so how could the land be stolen? And are the Spaniards "Caucasian invaders" or perhaps the are considered "white Spaniards?" Also, set the standard and if you own land donate it to your favorite Indian tribe.

3. MickS profile image59
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Spaniards are Caucasian, and ownershipo of the land is just a diversion to those who want to say that The American continents belong to the Caucasian conquerors, They conned the N Americans and drove them into inadequate reservations.

4. profile image0
      Old Empresarioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I want the Comanches to give the Wichita their lands back. And I also hope that the Welsh people are on the increase so that they can push the Saxon and Norman invaders back out of Britain.

3. Janbird profile image60
    Janbirdposted 11 years ago

I think it would make the US even more of a vibrant and colourful place, even more of a fascinating melting pot. It would reflect the reality of the world, that people are much more mobile now. There seems to be a perception among some that immigration is both a problem and a new phenomenon. I see it as neither.  America, like the UK where I live, seems enriched by immigration.  America is already a country where many surnames reflect European ancestry - names from the Nordic countries, Poland, Ireland and Germany for example, inherited from those who moved to the USA in search of a better life. 

If anyone still thinks that racial "purity" is either desirable or achievable, I'd say two things. Firstly that particular horse bolted long, long ago and secondly, that's what Hitler wanted, too.

Bravo Jan! Wow you certainly have the ability to string words together in order to present a logical and understandable presentation on how you feel. I loved your response...in case you couldn't tell.

2. backporchstories profile image73
      backporchstoriesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is certainly not what I desire, but you can see the possibility.

3. Lions Den Media profile image60

The US is already the most diverse society in the world. The US is madeup of immigrants. The only change is the percentage distribution of ethnic groups. The issue is will these groups want more or less gov.

4. jbosh1972 profile image92
    jbosh1972posted 11 years ago

What an interesting thing to ponder.  Go far back enough and we all have the same ancestor anyways,  The only reason why we have races is because of seperate develpoement through isolation.  America, as a society,  is still striving to meet a certain level of maturity.  When we learn how to live with our neighbors better we will continue to mingle.  Its very challenging when you try but others racially discriminate against you.

1. profile image56
      lucy111goodposted 11 years agoin reply to this

hi,
      I am glad to write
      you here today, please if
      you wouldn't mind, write me with this
      ID (lucyabel633@yahoo.com) i have
      an important issue to share
      with you, waiting for your mail,
      Lucy,

5. peoplepower73 profile image89
    peoplepower73posted 11 years ago

Whether we realize it or not, the universe is unfolding as it should.  I know that is a very existential answer.  But I believe there is a certain natural order to things. But to answer your question, I have no idea how this will impact the U.S. in the next 20 years.

1. Janbird profile image60
      Janbirdposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really like that thought, that "the universe is unfolding as it should". I try to embrace that, some days it's easier than others but thank you for reminding me!

2. profile image56

hi,
      I am glad to write
      Lucy,

3. jbosh1972 profile image92
      jbosh1972posted 11 years agoin reply to this

We have to fix America's attitude about entitlement.  Also, we must teach all races that live here the same lesson on maintaining a republic. All must realize the choices they make affect others and the community as well.

6. Xenonlit profile image59
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

I think that it is fantastic, natural and good that people of color are, as a whole, reflecting more of what the world is about.

But I am vastly more concerned about the quality of life that the children will be living.

White racists want control of our society for their own selfish purposes, and at the expense of everyone else. If they are not the majority, they will find another excuse for taking more than they deserve to have.

They are lying, murdering, perverting morality, creating blasphemous religions, corrupting our institutions and writing illegal law in order to grab all they can for themselves.

For sake of survival, we had better continue to progress toward equal treatment, equal opportunity and full integration of American citizens, and we need to quit stacking the deck against those with the darkest skins.

Otherwise, nobody's children will have much to be happy about.

7. junkseller profile image77
    junksellerposted 11 years ago

America is an idea, not a color. 100% of those births will be to Americans. The impact will be a good one. Without the influx of new people and without diversity we would end up as a giant retirement community (no offense to retirement communities, but that is hardly the way to sustain a culture).

1. ShalahChayilJOY profile image60
      ShalahChayilJOYposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In reality we are at the end of an age or era in which the knowledge of God will fill the earth as the waters cover the seas. God is restoring everything to the way it was in the beginning. That means that the decay of age will stop

8. feenix profile image58
    feenixposted 11 years ago

For one thing, that statistic is not really true -- and that it because a great many of the people who are classified as Hispanic are actually white, or Caucasian if you prefer.

In fact, a very considerable number of the people with Spanish surnames are in the same league as such "ethnic whites" as Italians and Greeks.

So, when that factor is taken into account, whites will continue to account for the majority of births in the U.S.

The article I was referring to was posted on Yahoo News about 15 hours ago and was written by Hope Yen of the Associated Press and it references the 2011 Census. I was simply the messenger with a question of curiosity.

2. feenix profile image58
      feenixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pagesvoice, reporting that Caucasians are rapidly becoming the new minority in the U.S. is nothing but a scare tactic by the news media. It is yellow journalism.

3. junkseller profile image77
      junksellerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Census considers "white" to be whites of non-Hispanic ethnicity. When you do a survey, you can consider white to be whatever you want. However, the statistic, as quoted, by Pagesvoice is correct.

4. feenix profile image58

junkseller, I did not say that pagevoice is incorrect. I said the statistic is wrong--and that is because the Census Bureau's categorization of people is not based on anthropological realities. And do NOT ever jump me again. Got it!

5. junkseller profile image77

feenix, the anthropological reality is that Hispanics are a distinct and identifiable ethnic group, regardless of their race. If you consider correcting you as 'jumping' you, than perhaps it is time for you to put on some big boy pants.

6. feenix profile image58

junkseller, such Mediterranean types as Americans of Italian and Greek descent are also members of "distinct and identifiable ethnic groups," yet they are categorized as white, period. And the same should apply to U.S. whites with Spanish surnames.

7. junkseller profile image77

Categorical systems can not be too broad (we are all human) or too narrow (we are all unique). Distinguishing between whites, from Europe, and Hispanics from Central and South America seems useful, though, hardly perfect.

8. feenix profile image58

In the science of Anthropology, ethnicity and native land are not used to determine a group's racial classification. And are not Argentine, Chilean, Mexican and Cuban whites white?

9. junkseller profile image77

Yes, they would be racially white, but also ethnically Hispanic. A lot of people consider that an important distinction.

10. feenix profile image58

Most of the ones who consider that to be an important distinction are the whites who are bigotted towards Hispanics. They are in the same league as the early 20th-Century white bigots who refused to view Italian and Jewish immigrants as white.

9. backporchstories profile image73
    backporchstoriesposted 11 years ago

America has always been know as the melting pot of races.  Soon the stew will brew all to one color and flavor.  Our society is overpopulated and it is inevitable that in the future we will be considered simply a human race and nothing else to seperate us as different, but maybe our opinions.

1. ShalahChayilJOY profile image60
      ShalahChayilJOYposted 11 years agoin reply to this

uhm, that is the way God intended. WE all started from Adam and EVE and the only reason that changed was the tower of babel. IN God's eyes we are all HIS children with very, very unique and different personalities.

10. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 11 years ago

when I saw the story in the news this morning my first reaction was "woo- cool!"  smile

also, a couple of years ago I read that in not too many years Hispanics will be the majority in the U.S.

1. RyanBuda profile image89
      RyanBudaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very true! America is quickly becoming a Spanish speaking country. We need to adapt to this change.

11. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

My kids are half-Mexican. I've done my bit to blend the ethnic groups by adding an Aztec pedigree to my descendents.

12. lifeoflata profile image62
    lifeoflataposted 11 years ago

One day we will all be the same anyways, so it doesn't matter. We should be worried about the good American values moving forward, not what color our grandchildren will be

1. profile image56

hi,
      I am glad to write
      Lucy,

13. MarleneB profile image91
    MarleneBposted 11 years ago

I think the journey of ethnic births surpassing Caucasians started on the day America was born - from the first caucasian/ethnic union. It was just a matter of time that the statistics could show it in numbers. I can't begin to count the number of ethnic groups that reside in my own birth. Just starting with my great grandparents alone, there is Caucasian, African American, French, Indian, and Hispanic. So, when I fill out the cesnus form... what box do I check? I have been taught that if I have any "black" in me at all, then I should check the box that says, "Black/African American". When I match up the different ethnicities in me, I see that there is more of one than the other, still I check the box for Black/African American. What would happen if my sister checked the box for French? Or, what if my brother checked the box for "Caucasian"? We are born of the same parents, but our heritage is mixed. I wouldn't put a lot of my money on the accuracy of statistics. The results are subjective. I'm just one person and it all comes down to what I want to label myself today. I might wake up tomorrow and check the box for Hispanic just for the fun of it. Based upon the logic of, "If you have any black in you..." I'd still be telling the truth. What if people said, "If you have any Indian in you, then you must check the box for Indian"? Don't mind me; I'm just stirring up the pot!

1. madisondavis512 profile image60
      madisondavis512posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. I have very pale skin and red hair, but I also have Native American in me, as you can see very well in my aunt and grandpa. It's all subjective, in my opinion.

14. RyanBuda profile image89
    RyanBudaposted 11 years ago

I believe the first impact this will have on the United States is in the educational systems. Schools all across the country will increasingly become more and more diverse. This diversity is a great thing in my eyes( I grew up a white kid in a town that was predominately minority), but it comes with unique difficulties.

The largest determiner of success in school is directly linked to language skills in childhood. Minorities who come from cultures that, for instance, speak a different language may rarely to never speak English in the household. such a lack of language skills will hinder a child's success. Yet many schools are wholly under prepared for the challenges that come with children who speak English as a second language.

So a great follow-up question would be what are school systems should do about language. English is the de-facto language, but what are schools doing enough to promote and grow this language. Should other languages be used in schools systems with large minorities of a certain language(most notably Spanish)?

1. Lions Den Media profile image60

This is a problem which shows a lack of adoption of American culture. America is bigger than any ethnicity. When individuals fail to adopt American culture that is not conducive to being a melting pot.

2. peoplepower73 profile image89
      peoplepower73posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lions Den Media: What we have today, is not a melting pot, but more like a mixed salad.  There is lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, and salad dressing. I'm not saying it's bad.  It's just my observation.

15. profile image58
    kdawsonposted 11 years ago

I think it's great.  A long time ago I decided that the cure for racism was mixed bloods.  My own children are half Asian.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)