jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

There are people who have sleep paralysis. There are so many

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

explanations of sleep paralysis from the religious to the scientific.  Some even dismiss sleep paralysis, indicating that they are just lucid dreams.  What is YOUR analysis of sleep paralysis?  Is it supernatural or does it have a scientifc, even psychological explanation?

1. Quilligrapher profile image87
      Quilligrapherposted 2 years ago in reply to this

“Sleep paralysis” is simply a temporary physical condition that results when hormones produced to help sleep just do not wear off fast enough.

For symptoms, causes and treatment see:
      http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Sleep-para … auses.aspx

1. gmwilliams profile image86
        gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

There IS a scientific explanation of sleep paralysis.  Thank you for posting this explanation of sleep paralysis for all to see.   Some people deem sleep paralysis to be of "demonic" origin which is a leftover of ancient times.

2. Theophanes profile image95
    Theophanesposted 2 years ago

Of course Sleep Paralysis has a scientific explanation - we know what happens to the body when it's going on but it has further reaching psychological ramifications because it often reinforces our belief systems. In some cultures these are ghost visits, in others demons, and more modern cultures might experience alien abduction scenarios. Whatever you believe will appear - but does that mean it's entirely a construct of our own minds? Or are these entities using the sleep paralysis like a tool to reach us? I guess it depends how you look at it. I am not going to discount anything because there's just so many possibilities out there, you never know what's really going on, and that in its own way is wonderful. But really I think most of these are just hallucinations. Maybe not all of them, but most.