jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Swine flu virus naming ?

1. sarovai profile image62
    sarovaiposted 7 years ago

Why swine flu causing virus is named as H1N1?Any back ground? or just like that.

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Healthy 1 ?...Not 1

2. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

It is CDC code.

3. Plants and Oils profile image93
    Plants and Oilsposted 7 years ago

Influenza A viruses all have 2 proteins on them, coded the "H" protein and the "N" protein. There are about 15 different types of H, and 8 - 9 different types of N (can't remember precise numbers, but roughly). Not all infect humans by a long chalk, some types infect birds, other pigs, etc.

Each flu sub-type is classifed by the type of the two proteins it contains.

The dominent flu type affecting people during the flu winter season each year can change - the two most common are H1N1 and H3N2. The other one which people can get at the moment is H1N2.

H5N1 is the potentially very nasty bird flu there's been a lot of fuss about over the past decade or so.

The Spanihs flu in 1918 - 1919 was an H1N1 strain. I think, though I could have remembered incorrectly, that the pandemics in the 1950s and 1960s were H1N2.

1. 0
      ryankettposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You could write a hub about that wink

(From another account of course)

2. sarovai profile image62
      sarovaiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

very nice. Thank u for information.As ryankett is telling, you could have written a hub. May I expect that.To add to this, why swine flu is called as Influenza A? any thing about this.