jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Does Dark Matter Exist?

1. TruthDebater profile image61
    TruthDebaterposted 6 years ago

Einstein believes that dark matter exists making up most of the Universe. Some say that Einstein is wrong and there is no dark matter, but miscalculations for the force of gravity. In another words, some say that the unmeasurable dark matter is simply unmeasurable gravity. What do you think?

1. Hubbin4V12 profile image80
      Hubbin4V12posted 6 years ago in reply to this

sure dark or "anti" matter exists, many astronomers and nuclear physicist believe it plays a major role in the steady expansion of the universe. Then you have labs in UK and here, that actually try to produce it with particle collide-rs, since in theory it is believed to have great energy/sustainability properties. But hey its a real tricky topic shrouded in uncertainty, good thread.

1. Dgerrimea profile image81
        Dgerrimeaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

There is a difference between dark matter and anti matter. I'm not sure if you were aware of this as your post was ambiguous, so just thought I'd mention it.

2. pylos26 profile image77
      pylos26posted 6 years ago in reply to this

TruthDebater asks...Does dark matter exist?...

Only if it matters.

2. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

I think gravity is measurable - otherwise gravity related to the Moon wouldn't be noticeable. (gravitational pull on the Tides and Man walking on the Moon)

3. zrichards profile image61
    zrichardsposted 6 years ago

Gravity is definitely measurable. ~ -9.8m/s^2 on Earth (give or take a hundreth or two depending on your elevation). Gravity is the phenomenon that can be felt, seen, and measured, but not explained. Explaining why gravity does what it does may just be the key to unlock the secrets of the universe.

4. Tusitala Tom profile image90
    Tusitala Tomposted 6 years ago

When we talk about 'dark matter' I think what is being spoken about is energy or matter which is not detectable to any of our five senses or two any of our extentions to our senses, such as infra red photography.    It is said that matter and energy are the same thing.  When it is observed, it becomes matter, when it is not, it is energy.  That's sort of my very rudimentary understanding of Quantum Physics.

It does not take to much of a stretch of the imagination to conceive that the All Mighty, or whatever He/She/It was that enables our seemingly solid matter to exist (and we know it isn't as solid as it seems to our sense of touch) that most of the universe would be wasted with what we consider as 'no thing' of nothering- space. 

What seems far more plausible to me is that there are dimensions within dimensions within dimensions, both up and down the scale of increasing and decreasing vibrations in perpetuity, and that the Conscious which looks out through the eyes of a human being sees, hears, tastes, smells and touches just an tiny, tiny fraction of What Is.   Nothing in the Natural World that we do see is wasted; why would an Infinite Intelligence like God (and I'm not talking about any particular religion's God here)waste anything?

No, I suspect what is referred to as Dark Matter is simply the rest of What Is, that is beyond our ken.