Should Family Guy be taken off air?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (60 posts)
  1. TravelMonkey profile image62
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

Many people think that Family Guy is a bit overboard, not me, I think its hilarious.

I would like to know your thoughts on this show or any other show which you think should be taken off air.

1. RKHenry profile image63
      RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's Archie Bunker in poorly, executed animation and Archie Bunker had much better writing. 

BOO!

1. imadork profile image70
        imadorkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure where you get Archie Bunker from.  I don't see any similarities between "All in the Family" and "Family Guy" other than they both have "Family" in the title.  Why don't you just say, "Peter Griffin is such a poor substitute for Mary Tyler Moore!  Where does McFarlane get off?!?!?"

2. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
        GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You almost make me want to go find some Honeymooners, RK.

That said..I like Family Guy when I see it. Usually. Some episodes rely on the whole "sketch" bit, and detract from the bulk of what the episode was really about.

But I personally think the humour in it is rich and layered.

As for taking it off the air?

Why? Your government, as much as it wants to believe, has no right to tell you what you can and cannot watch. Don't like the show? Don't watch it. Think its bad for your kid? Use your V-Chip.

Just my take.

Sincerely,

G|M

3. Elynjo profile image61
        Elynjoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hehe, I can still remember "Dingbat" wink

2. rosemere profile image60
      rosemereposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Taken off air? I can't get enough. I don't know who is dumber homer or Peter. It should be taken from regular channels and put back to adult cartoons like adult swim...

1. Bob Cedar profile image59
        Bob Cedarposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree rosemere, the ones on Fox are edited, Adult Swim keeps them fully intact.

3. spiderpam profile image72
      spiderpamposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If Family Guy goes South Park goes!

4. spiderpam profile image72
      spiderpamposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If Family Guy goes South Park goes!

5. profile image49
      A.m.a.n.d.a.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I LOVE FAMILY GUY!!! everyone has the choice to turn on or off the television as well as change the chanell. Don't ruin it for the rest of us!!!

6. J. Kumm profile image62
      J. Kummposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Family Guy should stay. I have always loved this show and will always be a die hard fan. Genius, pure genius.

2. Junkster profile image60
    Junksterposted 15 years ago

Get rid of that Gavin and Stacey, if only to stop that fella from that show showing up in absolutely every show on TV!

British Comedies like that and Catherin Tate do my head in

Family Guy is great, a bit mad but I've stopped watching it recently.

3. Edwin Clark profile image62
    Edwin Clarkposted 15 years ago

I hope not! There's a shortage of television shows worth watching and it'll be a sad day if it gets taken off.

4. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Personally if I like a TV show I could care less what anyone else thinks about it.  These days I do not usually watch network shows and I perfer HBO series, but many people probably disagree with me on this.

5. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

I hate when my kids watch Family Guy ..it's not very educational tongue but thats just me lol lol

1. seemorebangkok profile image60
      seemorebangkokposted 15 years agoin reply to this

ummm... Family Guys not supposed to be educational.. =P

2. Colebabie profile image60
      Colebabieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Family Guy isn't meant for kiddies. It's usually a TV14 rating. If they're young I'm sure most of the jokes go over their heads. I find Family Guy to have several pretty funny jokes in one episode... overall an entertaining show for adults.

6. Dame Scribe profile image56

My point exactly tongue ... I am one always on the quest to enrich the minds of my children tongue what can I say, lol lol

7. imadork profile image70
    imadorkposted 15 years ago

Family Guy is funny but kind of stupid.  South Park is funny and also has a sneaky intelligent moral to every story.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

What's so 'risque' about Family Guy?  Honest question.  I don't think it's that good...

2. RobertPalmer profile image62
      RobertPalmerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not sure how sneaky or intelligent South Park is.  Family Guy is more of a candid view out our commericalized pop society--it's stupid because we're stupid . . . er that dind't come out quite right.

8. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

I always found the anti-Semitic jokes and the Christmas poo way too disturbing on South Park.

9. Dame Scribe profile image56

I don't have kiddies. I have young men. smile but everybody is different.

10. parkerk393 profile image69
    parkerk393posted 15 years ago

Family Guy is hilarious! I really hope they don't take it off the air.

11. profile image0
    roddmaposted 15 years ago

I dont watch Family Guy but hubby likes it. So much for the inncoence of cartoons. It is blatantly honest. Although I find it a bit repulsive and risque at times, there are worse shows that need taken off the air. Cartoons tend to play a bit more like soap operas these days except for the Simpsons maybe. I thought the Simpsons were risque enough until South Park and Family Guy lol

12. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I don't believe in removing shows from television because they offend some people. Those people just need to change the channel.

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
      KCC Big Countryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!!!

2. LondonGirl profile image80
      LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Or even <gasp> turn it off!

1. parkerk393 profile image69
        parkerk393posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! I agree with both of you.

1. JerseyGirl profile image61
          JerseyGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My hubbie likes Family Guy & my 6 year old daughter sat down with him to watch it.  She quickly ran over to me (in the other room) and exclaimed:  "Mommy - I can't sit with Dad because the show that he's watching has bad words".

So, if a 6 year old is smart enough to know this - why can't adults get a grip? 

If you don't like it - walk away, change the channel, or simply shut off the t.v.  Others enjoy this show - so why take it off the air?

Just like anything else - does everyone like pbnj?

Best to you all.

13. TravelMonkey profile image62

Family guy is one of the few shows that make me laugh out loud on every episode. It got banned for a couple of years in the US but came back stronger in my opinion.

14. TravelMonkey profile image62

pbnj?

15. Junkster profile image60
    Junksterposted 15 years ago

* Peanut Butter and Jelly.  Or Peanut butter and Jam if you're from the UK.

I like peanut butter but not with jam/jelly!

There's age warnings on the beginning of shows like Family guy and South Park so I would hope responsible parents would make sure they were aware of what their kids were watching.

Or at least watch it before letting their kids watch it.  My mum watched Die Hard before letting my brother watch it when he was 12, within five minutes she was like "No way, I just saw a topless woman, no way you're watching that!" haha, if only all parents were this involved in their children then we wouldn't have as much problems as we have these days!

16. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 15 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amSQDw3hE40

It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

17. cindyvine profile image67
    cindyvineposted 15 years ago

I like Family Guy

18. profile image0
    jjrubioposted 15 years ago

I personally don't like it....but thats just my opinion. He makes fun of everyone on their from gays to paraplegic people...all kinds. I think the humor is in poor taste..but again that's  my opinion!

1. imadork profile image70
      imadorkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

At least it's an equal opportunity show.  Everybody's a target!

19. goldentoad profile image60
    goldentoadposted 15 years ago

family guy is great entertainment and I even let my kids watch it, we all sit there, eat popcorn, and fart

1. profile image0
      jjrubioposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am sure you do toady....

20. profile image0
    jjrubioposted 15 years ago

well I have to agree with that...they pick anyone!

21. caspar profile image60
    casparposted 15 years ago

I love Family Guy - it's one of the few shows we can watch together as a family and all have a good laugh (my kids are teens). In fact I'm kind of half watching it right now!

22. LyrialZander profile image68
    LyrialZanderposted 15 years ago

Family Guy is funny in my opinion. It's not for kids, and it's rated accordingly.

It was cancelled once before and fans protested to have it put back on. It was first put on TBS in reruns, then Fox signed for new episodes based on the popularity of the few reruns they ran into the ground.

Sometimes it's a little too much for me, South Park too, though it does touch some social issues that other shows wouldn't dare discuss.

*}Peace{*

1. Junkster profile image60
      Junksterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly why I've started watching South Park again, it's actually really clever how they handle items in the news etc.  (Britney Spears, Scientology, financial crisis last week)  really funny stuff!

Oh and the Kanye West thing still has me laughing, you can even download the song in full form their website (southparkstudios.com)

23. RavynSteel profile image68
    RavynSteelposted 15 years ago

It'll be a sad day if Family Guy ever gets permanently cancelled. I love that show, and will have no problem with my kids watching it at any age - same goes for Simpsons and South Park too. Yes they're risque in their language and jokes but kids hear that kind of thing at school anyway - I'd rather them be exposed to it when they're with me and I can explain things to them...

24. Choke Frantic profile image70
    Choke Franticposted 15 years ago

My mother and I are always in debate about this. Yes, I agree with her in that Family Guy is a very sick show. Sometimes there are things you don't want to see, but for the most part, I think its cheap, funny and convenient entertainment. I don't think it should be taken off the air but put on a late time slot so that kids will have to stay up if they're desperate to watch it.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Censorship is not the answer. Family guy like many other shows like it are very funny because they expose so much about the human condition. I love it.

2. Junkster profile image60
      Junksterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Just like I did growing up, staying up to eleven to watch South Park, and back then it wasn't even that good (first series).  Wasn't until I grew up a bit that I realised how funny it's gotten.  Again for the cutting commentary on current events/huumans smile

25. hot writer profile image60
    hot writerposted 15 years ago

unless its just completely hateful and evil i dont see why people are so uptight i mean i dont care for country music and i dont remember the last time i herd a country song or seen a video you see things have markets people act like family guy is law like its every where they go if you dont like it dont go to the channel that airs it very simple it seems like people that dont like it watch it more then anybody cause you have see it to complain about it i personaly like it its funny

26. Choke Frantic profile image70
    Choke Franticposted 15 years ago

I can't say that I've ever seen the first series of South Park, nor that I am interested in the show [I find it boring] but if a young, impressionable person wants to torture themselves to watch something, let them. Ultimately its their decision and just like music, to an extent you can't blame TV for making people the way they are [I recently read something about the song Prison Sex by Tool making people serial killers or something o_O].

And censorship sucks. In fact Family Guy just had on an ep about censorship ^_^ But it really doesn't work. If something's forbidden, someone will just want to do it more. Kind of like prohibition of alcohol until a certain age. Here its 18 and what does everyone do on their 18th birthday? Have a piss-up. People smoke and drink 'early' and I don't believe this would happen as often if prohibition didn't occur.

The line between trash TV and enlightening entertainment, I believe, is your mental capacity. If you're able to see the messages that Family Guy and South Park portray about the world then these shows are by no means detrimental.

Sorry for the rant, but its late and I'm overtired.

1. RavynSteel profile image68
      RavynSteelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I love that song but I can't see why it would do that to people! I mean, the video is a bit weird but still...although I guess a serial killer will use any excuse to take the blame away :-D

1. Choke Frantic profile image70
        Choke Franticposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It may have been serial killers, but I'm not quite sure. I can't say that I've seen the video though, so I'll have to check it out.

27. caderade2 profile image59
    caderade2posted 15 years ago

It does go a little overboard on some issues but I doubt that will get it taken off the air.

28. profile image0
    Neon Sign Fanposted 15 years ago

There's a rating for "Family Guy" and explanation of the rating. It a kid watches it that shouldn't be watching, that's all on the parents. And as for the Tool "Prison Sex" thing, its just placing blame on something in the media, because nut jobs will make the media (tv, movies, video games, music) a bigger bad guy than the killer. Like the kids doing crimes because they were influenced by Grand Theft Auto games. neutral

1. Bob Cedar profile image59
      Bob Cedarposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I tried flushing myself down the toilet once during a Super Mario Bros. bender. Long story short, it didn't work.

29. profile image0
    Greta Lieskeposted 14 years ago

I love Family Guy AND American Dad! I think Seth Macfarlane is a genius. I know a lot of people get offended by the shows, but that's his point. He entertains with his brand of brash comedy while trying to get people to pay attention to deeper issues. He's actually a very intelligent guy that is very politically knowledgable. It's all a satire of our lives and getting overly offended is usually just someone not being able to hear the truth.

30. Capable Woman profile image60
    Capable Womanposted 14 years ago

No, it should have it's own commercial-free channel that runs nothing but FG 24/7...I know, Fox is close but there are still commercials.

31. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 14 years ago

I am afraid that I have only ever seen it - briefly - on one occasion! I am not a TV fan!

I must make the effort to watch it again. It sounds great!

32. lbtrader profile image60
    lbtraderposted 14 years ago

Absolutely not....Family Guy and the Simpsons were the only shows I was watching before i completely got rid of TV.

They should be made part of the curriculum in schools since they are the only real truth left on mainstream TV.

What kind of society have we become when we need to hide the real truth about the nature of people behind animated characters...

Just my opinion....parents should be forced to sit with they're children while watching the Family Guy and not just passive mindless TV viewing.

Each parent/offspring viewing session should have several interludes where the last clip is analyzed for content - wait those interludes could be the mindless commercials that they use to feed the mind of the viewer with.............

Well that's my opinion anyways....

33. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

I don't watch Family Guy.  I can tell by the trailers that it is not something that I would enjoy.  I am never in favor of taking off a program because it is offensive.  There are umpteen channels on the TV; just go to another if you don't like it.  If you don't want your kids watching it; it's your job to see that they don't watch, not the government's or anyone elses.

34. The Phil profile image61
    The Philposted 14 years ago

It's not that bad to be taken off the air. It's the time slots that they show it that amazes me. Definitely not for children. How about after 11pm local time networks???

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)