jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

"Making A Murderer"

1. Farawaytree profile image88
    Farawaytreeposted 9 months ago

Just finished watching this series on Netflix. Got totally sucked in to the mystery. Has anyone else seen this? It appears to be all over the news due to this documentary...

Thoughts on this if you're familiar with it???

1. moonlake profile image89
      moonlakeposted 9 months ago in reply to this

I live in Wisconsin when this happened it was all over the local news when no one else in the country cared about it. All I have to say to all the people that want this man let out they need to invite him into their home to live. See if they think so much of him after that. I didn't watch the documentary and don't plan to.
      I feel very bad for the girl's family.

Farawaytreeposted 9 months ago in reply to this

Yes, I do too. The documentary didn't really cover her much - which was a very disappointing factor.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 9 months ago

It was interesting and left me undecided on whether I thought the murder conviction was correct or not.  But it certainly showed how corrupt some police juristictions can be.

But it was enlightening to also read some online coverage about the information the documentary series chose to leave out.  Such as that Avery specifically requested that photographer and callered her using *69 several times on the day she disappeared.

I think the documentary actively avoided humanising the victim in order to make their angle of a potential frame job work better.

Farawaytreeposted 9 months ago in reply to this

That is a fantastic point about the victim. Her family had to sit for hundreds of hours listening to her being objectified and her body parts discussed at length.

I admit, I got totally addicted to this series and stayed up way too late watching it this week. One thing that left me mystified, was Avery's girlfriend, Jodie. No one ever asked her, at least in the film, about her personal or sexual experiences with Avery. To me, that would be extremely important in order to characterize deviant behavior. Then, we never hear any more about her.

There was some alluding to the theory that the whole Avery family was somehow involved in incestuous, sexual behavior, but then I never saw anymore about it. Definitely left me wondering.

One thing for sure though, which I think is why this case is so popular, is just Avery himself. Never once does he get angry, he's relatively articulate, and seems so believable despite all the evidence against him!

Well, guess I will be left curious. Thanks for your input! smile