Revenge - pros and cons

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. froch profile image58
    frochposted 12 years ago

Revenge - pros and cons

What are you thinking about revenge? Is it ethic? Is revenge way of justice and preventing evil facility or revenge is evil itself? What do you think about it?

2. mdiggs1234 profile image70
    mdiggs1234posted 12 years ago

Revenge is not a emotion that is positive.  Just like anger and envy.  I personally don't think spending any time thinking of on is good for you...plotting to get back at someone is a waste of energy and time...

3. Seeker7 profile image81
    Seeker7posted 12 years ago

I think this depends on what side of an event you are on and what the event is. Is a country's motivation behind revenge attacks on terrorists the same motivation as a father against the murderer of his daughter?

Many would say that revenge is always a bad thing and ultimately causes more harm. Revenge in many cases always has emotion attached to it as well as seeing it as true justice.

On the other hand I wonder if the same people would feel the same way if a member of their family - a child, partner, sister, brother - was brutally murdered and then watched the same murderer go free after spending only a few years in jail? If a member of the victims family took revenge on the murderer would we sympathise? Probably yes. Would we all think this was the best course of action to take? Again it would I think depend where you are placed in the event. The closer you are to the victim, the more justified you would feel revenge is I think. So we might at some time feel revenge is a good thing at other times we may not.

A very interesting question and no simple answer.

4. profile image0
    Word Drawposted 12 years ago

I have a strong desire for revenge, but in the end, won't anything you can do as "revenge" make you feel worse then you already do afterwards, the best revenge is living well... or moving on and never speaking to the person who hurt you again. Plus, most things that you can do as revenge are probably illegal, so you will just end up in more trouble and a darker place again, so in all it's not worth it.

5. edhan profile image36
    edhanposted 12 years ago

Revenge is never the solution to resolve anger.

You will not get your satisfaction after you have made your revenge. Instead learn to forgive and let go. You will find yourself as a better person and happier thereafter. What had happened is already gone so seeking revenge will not change anything except creating more problems or burden.

I do believe in Karma & Merits. So, if you want to be happier in life, learn the lesson of forgiving and letting things go.

Every action we take, there will be a consequence. So taking revenge likely end up paying what you did. It will be a cycle if we are to take revenge in our hands.

I rather give my forgiveness and let bygone by bygone. Releasing this anger of revenge will be much better in life as you will definitely feel release of anger and gain happiness.

6. Le_connaisseur profile image61
    Le_connaisseurposted 12 years ago

Revenge is bad for our soul however; there are stuff I can't tolerate (ex: relative being raped or killed). I won't kill that person (I respect life) but I'm gonna wait for the best opportunity to show them what I feel. [revenge is best served cold].

7. profile image0
    .josh.posted 12 years ago

In the short-term, revenge can be a fantastic solution, as it allows us to take out our anger on the one responsible for the emotion. There's no question that there's a certain level of satisfaction obtained - at least temporarily - but it's not really going to resolve the underlying issue, or make us feel a whole lot better weeks, months or years later.

Is it ethical? I'm not going to get too deep into that, as this would become a hub in itself, but even if we were to agree that 'an eye for an eye' was ethical, the problem is it typically becomes more like two eyes, a leg, and an ear for an eye. We're far too emotional to simply stop when we've got our 'dues.'

8. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

i believe strongly in revenge. not for things that were either accidental or trivial but if someone hurts my family or a close friend, prison is just the beginning or what the effects of their actions will bring to them. the thought of forgiveness is absurd and helps no one. i love how people say revenge is not the right thing to do, i call then cowards because they would rather let someone else stand up for them or they will just pretend it's religiously right and turn the other cheek. appaling to say the least.

9. Dee aka Nonna profile image60
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 12 years ago

Revenge is a dish best served cold.  I say this to myself whenever I have the urge to spew this on someone.  I believe I have saved myself additional headache and heartache by following this advice.

10. sturner1 profile image60
    sturner1posted 12 years ago

Revenge can ultimately be determined by three key questions:
    1. Will it make you happy to plot about it, or carry it out, or will it eat away at you in the same manner as what caused you to think about acting it out?
    2. Will revenge rectify the situation, or cause it to spiral out of control?
    3. Will it bring the person back? ex. A murderer who killed someone, An ex who cheated etc.

Whatever action a person chooses there will be consequences, and sometimes they are not good. Some times you just have to, "Let go and Let God"......

It really depends on the situation...... Sometimes the best revenge is showing someone you have the strength to move on. I am a big believer in Karma, and what goes around comes back around. There is no use in making yourself sick over negative energy, when you could be the better person, and live your life in peace by moving on. I think that's the best revenge, to show someone that their actions have no control over you, and sadly some people get a kick out of making other people miserable. By showing them that you will not give them the satisfaction, will put the power back in your hands.

11. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 12 years ago

What is Evil................well at least your definition?

12. moiragallaga profile image78
    moiragallagaposted 12 years ago

I agree with sturner1, showing you have the strength to move on is the best way to get back at those trying to pull you down or go out of their way to make you miserable out of jealousy, malice, etc.

However, it is situational. People being mean to me and messing around with me is one thing. But when violence is involved and especially when directed towards my loved ones and family, that is something else. I am fortunate not to have found myself in such a situation yet, but when I imagine it, I find the emotions and feelings so strong that the need to exact revenge appears to be the only way to find release and closure.

i think there can never be a clear answer for this one.

13. Dawn the Chip profile image57
    Dawn the Chipposted 12 years ago

Revenge is a lower form of existence. If someone has hurt you in some way, it is better to look closely and see why it is, they have done what they have done.
    It is always better to learn a lesson from life,and its trials and tribulations, rather than lowering down to a tit for tat mentality.

Nothing improves with revenge.

14. profile image34
    saisarannagaposted 12 years ago

It is the most harmful quality to possess. It eats the vitals of the man who plan a revenge. Best way is "Forgive and Forget". That way lies the way for everlasting peace and Joy. Hence choose wisely. No need to weigh the pros and cons.

15. Harishprasad profile image72
    Harishprasadposted 10 years ago

Revenge is an act of retaliation, like murder for murder, causing injury for injury, harshness for harshness, contempt for contempt, insult for an insult and so on. It is natural that when a person is agitated and utters some harsh words to somebody, an instant reaction occurs. However, one is deemed as criminal if he/she commits murder for murder and is punished as per law. A man     can forget everything except insult. An insulted guy simmers for a   long time and is always anxious to avenge himself. Some     persons are in the habit of cursing the persons who have insulted    them, some of them even  praying God to punish the culprits, but.                                                                ultimately, revenge is an emotion which is not good for one's  mental health.to nurse grudges for a reasonably long time  disrupts our mental equilibrium and we suffer from  stress in our  lives. However on a bigger level, if a country has been attacked, a  full  blown retaliation is requisite , otherwise if  there is the least of slackening, people do not forgive  the people at the helm of the affairs of the country. Similarly, when someone indulges in rough talk without any provocation, it is justified to retort promptly instead of tolerating the brazen behavior of the person concerned. When the moment someone gets insulted, a prompt response should be given to prevent oneself being insulted again and again. In nutshell, insult, contempt,snobbery etc. are to be dealt with immediately ,otherwise these can turn into the  causes of revenge in the future.

16. padmendra profile image49
    padmendraposted 9 years ago

Revenge is a world that creates many obstacles in your freedom. If one really wants to end the revenge, it is better to forgive the person against whom the feeling of revenge has emerged inside of you. The more you get closure to revenge, the more unhappiness and evil feeling will control your mind. Better to forgive and move on.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)