What is your favorite Documentary Subject?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (55 posts)
  1. vmartinezwilson profile image79
    vmartinezwilsonposted 12 years ago

There are documentaries about every subject and occasion.  Do you have a favorite? 

Nature? Historical? True Crime? Political? Sports? Biographical?  Rockumentary? Mockumentary?

I have found that over the years I've moved from one spectrum (I used to love Depeche Mode's 101) to another (I know love Historical, specifically those tackling World War II).  Which way does your viewing swing?  Or, do you now like them at all?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think nature and political are my favorites.

vmartinezwilsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really enjoyed Chronique dun ete, even though it was done in 1961, the political discourse is still relevant.  I haven't seen a nature documentary that I loved that was solely about nature and not about a person.  Do you know any good ones?

David Attenborough will always be my fave. 1961, before I was born, still sounds interesting, I think I need to find out more about Chronique dun ete. Jaque Cousteau (apologize in advance for the spelling errors) Marine life mostly, always on the TV when I was a child, fascinating non the less. Umm, I can see why you'd associate a person with a wildlife or nature programe, however, I disagree that it's about the person. Only a politician could be that egocentric.

I was just thinking of the ones I've seen, which aren't many.  The one that intrigues me the most was Grizzly Man and that tended to be about the person set within nature.  The shots of Alaska is mezmerizing.

And, yes the political documentaries tend to veer toward egocentric.  I can't wait until someone does one about the republican canidates this go around.  That should be a different kind of interesting.

I don't believe I've seen Grizzly Man, yet another I'll have a look out for on the net (thanks)

Indeed it would be a different kind of interesting. lol

Just so you know, I did a review of Grizzly Man as a hub if you want to read about it first.

Grizzly Man Hub by me

Thanks, I'll read it.

2. profile image0
      Daniella Lopezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I usually watch religious or political documentaries. I've noticed here lately I've been watching a lot of documentaries on Hitler and the Nazi era. But I'll really watch just about any kind of documentary, so long as it's decently put together.

I find myself drawn to World War II documentaries as well.  I've just recently finished a hub on Night and Fog hub by me .  the time period is so complex, everytime I watch a new documentary I see something I hadn't before.  This has become more noticeable now that I've watched the docmentary on Goebbels memoirs.  It's the reason I wrote my hubs on the history of German cinema. 

I've studied documentary, but find myself watching them more and more because of Netflix.  I can put them on, clean or fold laundry or whatever and feel like I've learned something new.

3. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I enjoy nature documentaries a lot.  Mainly because with so much trouble that goes on in society today, it seems almost peaceful to watch the beauty of nature in documentaries.

I must have a sick and twisted mind since I watch so many morbid documentaries.  Even those that are nature oriented have some sort of morbid sensibility.  I was watching Animal Planet and was barely paying attention to the sharks and the shots of nature until a shark took out a hammerhead.  Sigh, I think I may need to watch happier documentaries.

1. profile image0
          Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol. Nah, I don't think your sick or twisted, as I actually enjoy those types of nature documentaries too.  In fact, one of favorite scenes in one documentary involved a fight between a great white shark and a killer whale, as the shark tried to eat the whale, but he got ripped to shreds.  So trust me, you're fine. 

I was just mainly referring to documentaries like "march of the penguins", and "winged migration" specifically.  Granted, there are a few morbid scenes that one can name in "March of the Penguins", but I think the watching these animals interact in their natural habitat has always seemed very therapeutic for me.  I don't know why. 

Of course, I also like to follow Michael Moore's documentaries as well.  Not because I agree with anything that he says, as half the stuff he says isn't true if you bother to research into everything that he says.  And as a person, I think he's a bit of an arrogant pompous a** if you ask me.  However, I do find his style of film making rather fascinating, as he's able to make even people that hate him to see his movies.

I occasionally watch nature films in the vein of "March of the Penguins", but I must have the attention span of a gnat, becuase I tend to do other things while I watch.  The closest time i've come to being rivited is when I had watched Jaques Cousteau.  It may be the accent. smile

I always watch Michael Moore's docmentaries too and I'm in the same boat as you in regards to what he says.  I'll give the man credit in that he always asks the greatest questions even I don't agree with his solutions.  I always think it's better that those questions were asks, which is why he is a great documentarian.  The best always has the audience thinking.

4. dannyjohnson1027 profile image61
      dannyjohnson1027posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you like most types of movies? So far the most loved to look at the category? http://www.jpopo.info/g.gif 

5. gabgirl12 profile image61
      gabgirl12posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love documentaries! But I find myself lately drawn to Religion and 'End of the World' type documentaries like writings of Nostradamus and the Mayan Calendar.

I also like Ghost story type documentaries. It's weird because I believe in God but for some reason I'm fascinated by paranormal activity. The best ones usually contain rich history that would lead to such activity. It makes it more believeable as opposed to trickery that you hear or read about.

I also enjoy business type documentaries, like how Hershey started, and Ford motors etc.

I'm not really big on War, Michael Moore type stuff.

One documentary that I always pay attention to no matter how busy I am are the 9/11 documentaries. I'm a New Yorker and during that horrible time I had family trapped in Manhattan. So when I see them it hits my heart because I remember how frantic my family was at just trying to connect to each other.

2. Captain Redbeard profile image60
    Captain Redbeardposted 12 years ago

I really enjoy watching evolution documentaries. Richard Dawkins is a favorite of mine. He is a brilliant mind yet I think is terribly blind to certain things. I have heard his own arguments taken apart and him left speechless and it's always interesting to me that he keeps to his "faith" of disbelief smile

I really enjoy watching serial killer documentaries for some reason....I don't know why but I find these people interesting and sad. I recently watched one on H.H. Holmes, America's first serial killer. His story was really interesting. By the time he died he honestly thought he was turning into the devil and thought he could feel horns growing from his forehead.

I like evolution documentaries, but I find myself watching a lot films about what would happen to the Earth if people weren't around anymore or what would happen if people modern technology.  They're all 'what ifs', but intriguing nonetheless.

I absolutely love documentaries on serial killers.  H.H. Holmes is so very crazy and interesting and if you watched the doc that I did, I will tell you it left out a lot.  He was a scam artist to the nth degree and they only touched on the things he did, like saying he was a pharmacist and so forth.  What he did to those kids..and that mansion of his...shudder.  Good watching there!

3. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 12 years ago

I always like to watch documentaries portraying social issues, both national and internations, as I like to learn about the vast contradictions between people's lives.

That is an interesting way to people watch.  I'm definately a left coaster, so seeing the differences in the US, let alone worldwide, is a study on humankind.  I especially like watching documentaries about historical social issues, like in Titticut Follies.  It's so odd and dated, but still relevant in the way we view mental illness.

4. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

Anything with an unusual or controversial theme. Not sure why really, I just like to learn things that I never would in everyday life.

It's a great reason to watch a documentary.  It's the reason I was really old documentaries, then read about the making of them.  I want to see what parts were staged, who paid for them to be made and the like.

5. ciaron davies profile image70
    ciaron daviesposted 12 years ago

Human interest stories

Do you mean like the life and times of a person?  Like Anne Frank or social based ones like Titticut Follies?

1. ciaron davies profile image70
        ciaron daviesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Social based ones and life times but that follow the character, with insightful interviews by people who knew them, so that you get a broad picture of the subject, a glimpse into their life, the people that surround them and the subjects impact on the world.

6. Senoritaa profile image81
    Senoritaaposted 12 years ago

Wild life that is really wild, one that is not labelled 'wild' by interfering humans!

Those are an interesting watch, but can you imagine the amount of editing that goes into that?  There must be hours of downtime.

7. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 12 years ago

Is American Greed considered a documentary ?

I don't see why not, I consider Lockup on MSNBC a documentary too.

8. mattyfaz profile image60
    mattyfazposted 12 years ago

It would definitely have to be documentaries about space. Something about space just fascinates me and I cannot get enough of information about it and peoples theories about what is out there. Amazing possibilities.

The only documentaries about space that I've seen are when I visited Nasa and there was one on the History channel.  Do you know any good ones?

9. MissE profile image77
    MissEposted 12 years ago

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......Sorry, not much on documentaries.  My husband loves historical and scientific ones.  My 5th grader loves animal documentaries.  I would probably stay awake more during the space ones....yeah.

I used to stay away from them as well and found that they were boring.  Let me suggest two for you if you like drama: The Thin Blue Line and Paradise Lost.  They are riviting and the story about the situation at hand rolls out like a feature film.

10. hawkdad73 profile image61
    hawkdad73posted 12 years ago

I have to say I like watching main stream religion and its effect on society.

In the evangelical sense or in the Religuslous sense?

1. hawkdad73 profile image61
        hawkdad73posted 12 years agoin reply to this

More in the sense of an attempt to dispel my own assumptions that there is an inherent "religious-less" to all we consider holy.

11. LookingForWalden profile image60
    LookingForWaldenposted 12 years ago

Religulous by Bil Maher

And anything on time travel.

That movie is funny, although I was a little disapointed.  It seemed like the targets he chose were easy to mock.  I wish he would be chosen less easy targets and still question their belief system.

12. profile image0
    gabby0506posted 12 years ago

Criminal of course!! They have been fascinating me since childhood!!

Me too, I watch MSNBC Lockup, Preditor, then there's Gangland; not to mention all those films about Al Capone, serial killers and the link.  It is intriguing to watch films about the seedier side of life.  Have you ever watched The Iceman?  Such a good documentary about a hitman.

13. lokoyizone profile image66
    lokoyizoneposted 12 years ago

Terrorism and History

I tend to avoid documentaries on terrorism.  I'm not sure why, they just seem religious based.  Maybe you know some that are not. 

And I love history and the history channel.  I remember watched the History channel for hours and hours and wondered what else they could show about World War II, because I thought I'd already watched everything that could have been shown. lol

2. hawkdad73 profile image61

Historical documentaries make for the perfect Sunday afternoon. I have to be in the right mood for terrorist documentaries, though.

14. Richard Craig profile image59
    Richard Craigposted 12 years ago

Dinosaurs and the Universe are my fave because there are always more questions than answers.

I love watching realizations of far away planets.  They did one that imagines what the area/life was like on a planet that had one side permanently in dark and the other in light.  So interesting what the wildlife could possibly exist like that!

15. ikechiawazie profile image61
    ikechiawazieposted 12 years ago

I love the topic on Sharks and whales

Shark week must be your favorite.  I love the documentaries that highlight the deepest areas that we've only begun to research.  There is so much unknown down there that it becomes fascinating to think that we're on the same planet as some of these creatures.

2. hawkdad73 profile image61

The only think that would make a perfect Sunday afternoon with the above-mentioned historical documentaries would be shark documentaries.  Love 'em.

16. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

war zones and plight of children in different parts of the world.

Then I cry, LOL

I cry watching those as well.  There's one called Born into a Bordello or something like that, that still shakes me.

17. arekwhite profile image60
    arekwhiteposted 12 years ago

My favorite documentary subject is villages in mountains..

1. hawkdad73 profile image61

Any you'd like to recommend?

2. vmartinezwilson profile image79

Is that anything like Land Without Bread by Luis Bunuel?

18. vintageglamour profile image59
    vintageglamourposted 12 years ago

Nature/ our Ecosystem, True Crime, Stories about Incarcerated individuals.

Do you watch MSNBC's Lockup?  I love, love, love watching that show.  It is a fascinating look at another side of society.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)