jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)

Favorite Hayao Miyazaki Film

1. torimari profile image80
    torimariposted 7 years ago

I just got done researching and writing about my  favorite filmmaker and animator, Hayao Miyazaki.

If you don't know already, he is a Japanese filmmaker. His most recent movie, shown in the US this August, was Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea.

Anyway, I love his stuff because it reminds me of being a child, is magical, creative yet complex. Whenever I watch his stuff, all my worries melt away and I am immersed in a new, far more exciting world. smile I could go on and on.

My favorite film of his is either Spirited Away or My Neighbor Totoro. Totoro mainly because it was my first Miyazaki movie from when I was 7-8, and Spirited Away because it is...well, amazing!

What's your favorite Miyazaki movie?

2. torimari profile image80

No one? Screw religion and politics...let's talk about happy things...like....Hayao Miyazaki. ;D And, big flying owl-cat things called Totoros...flying castles...things we can't fight over that will totally bring world peace. :nod:

3. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago

oooo oo When is Ponyo coming out on DVD? I thought that movie was so cute!

And one of my favs is Whisper of the Heart. That one I love to watch when I need some inspiration for writing or just feeling down that one is great to watch

torimariposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I totally forgot about Whisper of the Heart. It is one of two films of his I have yet to see though he didn't direct Whisper of the Heart I think. Ponyo comes out this March and I can't wait to get it too!

4. 0

No he didn't direct it but did write it...The way they left it too they could so make another one after it, continuing the story big_smile
    And YAY March!!! I can't wait to get it either.

I also like The Cat Returns...that was by him wasn't it? Oh And Kiki's Delivery Service

I did see the Cat Returns and I think it was by his son who is also a filmmaker of sorts. I enjoyed it to, as well as Kiki. I also love Howl's Moving Castle...heck, all of them.

Oh, so he wrote Whisper of the Heart? Then I definitely need to see it. ^_^ THanks for telling me. I'll need to add it to my article as it was the one movie I wasn't sure to include in my list.

5. 0

Go for it...I actually have a hub about that movie too if you want to check it out and see what to add to yours...

6. torimari profile image80

Ok, I'll take a gander. smile

7. theageofcake profile image76
    theageofcakeposted 7 years ago

Damn girl, I'm all over this topic.

I like Miyazaki at his most complex, detailed, and story-driven.  Ponyo, while adorable as f-ck, did not quite fill this criteria for me  (and of course, being that its allegedly his last movie, I was hugely disappointed).

My favorites come down to 3:  Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and Princess Mononoke.  I can't choose one over any other, but if you forced me at gunpoint it would be Spirited Away.

Yayy.

Like Totoro, Ponyo was geared to be more of a family film---sure, a few comments on humanity and environmentalism, but like he mentioned somewhere, he wanted something family-friendlier.

Loved it as a change, as I am a big Totoro fan, but I can see, since your favs are what they are, that Ponyo probably wouldn't be in the top. ^__^

Porco Rosso is also a more adult, complicated one...probably more so in a different way than Mononoke. Dunno if you have seen it. smile

Glad to see other fans.

1. theageofcake profile image76
        theageofcakeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I haven't seen Porco Rosso yet - but in light of your recommendation it's certainly next on the list.  smile

8. 0
    vvanault14posted 7 years ago

I haven't seen the new one yet, but I want to. As for my favorite it would have to be Princess Mononoke (did I spell that right? it's been awhile since I've seen it.) It was such a good movie and really hit the point of environmental importance, in my mind anyway.

1. theageofcake profile image76
      theageofcakeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Oh yeah, the environmental subtext in Mononoke is glaring.  I love that he was able to communicate it through such an inventive story, though.

9. 0

I finally have seen Princess Mononoke a few months back. very intersting storyline and great characters! very nice!

10. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 7 years ago

Spirited Away.

working