jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

United Airlines flight diverted after family complains about movie

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 3 years ago

A. Pawlowski , NBC News contributor 
    United flight diverted after family complains about movie
    A violent in-flight movie apparently proved to be too much for a family traveling with kids, setting off a chain of events that led to the pilot diverting the flight and an airline taking a second look at its entertainment offerings.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/united-fl … -1C9254726
    I think the parents had a valid point here. I've never encountered this before but it is something to consider

2. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 3 years ago

Personally, I would be pretty pissed off about having my flight diverted because of someone whinging about a film.

Is there no such thing as an off switch on these planes?

I never watch films when I fly, because reading a book is far more satisfying. I've never found any difficulty in turning off the screen on the seat in front.

1. paradigmsearch profile image91
      paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago in reply to this

So the screens DO have on/off switches! Jeez... Either UA are idiots OR that passenger letter is omitting material facts.

2. Greekgeek profile image98
      Greekgeekposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Did you read the news report? Dropdown overhead screens, scenes of torture and violent serial murders.

The parents asked if the monitor in front of them could be turned off. Flight attendants said no. Parents persisted, asking about turning off the film, which was definitely pretty violent and rated accordingly.  Again flight attendants said no.

The pilot chose to divert the plane. The parents didn't ask for that, nor did they want that.

Obviously, we're not getting the full facts here, but one fact stands out: the family was promptly rebooked after being questioned. Normally, if you've disrupted a flight in any way, you get hauled off by the FBI and do not get to continue your trip.

So while the parents may have been whinging, the pilot may have been the one overreacting to people questioning his/her authority.

3. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

I admit I haven't been on a plane in a long time. I presume there is at least sound control, i.e., headphones/volume setting?

That just leaves the screen. As in a couple sheets of paper and some tape?

I hope I'm wrong here. Otherwise, this whole incident is totally moronic.

4. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 3 years ago

It doesn't sound like the movie screen was something they could cover and turn off, but one of those big screens above the seats placed periodically throughout the rows. You can't personally turn it off and the only thing you can do to keep your kids from seeing it is to cover their eyes.

Personally I feel like there must be something more to the story. It just doesn't seem logical that all this fuss would happen because of a polite request. Either the family did something or the pilot overreacted.

I found what you were talking about.

http://www.tnooz.com/wp-content/uploads … creens.jpg (posting link instead of pic re: possible copyright issues)

I feel better.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

I have a feeling there is more to this story. Because 1 + 1 does not = diverted flight.

That makes 3 votes for the suspicion that material facts may have been omitted.

2. Reality Bytes profile image93
      Reality Bytesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Surely, anything is possible to save the children?

6. Cheeky Girl profile image86
    Cheeky Girlposted 3 years ago

You think this is the worst/ Wait until the lawsuits begin, and compo claims set in motion. That airline made a bad mistake. It should have stuck to Disney movies.