Coloured note piano method

1. mmsteer profile image61
    mmsteerposted 15 years ago

Id like to tell you my experience as a piano teacher of how using coloured noteheads has revolutionised children's learning. Yes, to a point this is a info-mercial because i have published it, but actually my motivation in publishing it was not commercial but a wish to see children's experience of learning music transformed in the way it has been for my own pupils.
    My background is a broadcast composer /writer (hundreds of productions for BBC) & Head of 20thC Studies at the Junior Royal College of Music. The intermediate steps by which I became a rural piano teacher in Wiltshire UK need not feature here, but they included an increasing disenchantment with the discourse of professional music. When I was approached to teach a child in the village where Id moved I realised this was a perfect opportunity to put all the 'child-centred' ideas Id evolved at the RCM but which simply didnt fit in that high-pressure environment.
    I began to advertise that I taught without exams & over the next few years pulled in a range of interesting parents who all didnt want their children to be schlept throu the exam racket. About 6 years ago my music program Logic introduced coloured noteheads, so I experimented by using them with an extremely dyslexic pupil, and the effect was immediate. I then intro'd them to all my pupils, and the effect was immediate there too.
    So I thought this has to be the mega discovery of this century. And you know what? Not one teaching colleag or publisher was remotely interested! I thought I must be viewed as a complete madman if nobody would take my word that it made the difference of night & day to beginner's experience & progress. And then I realised the awful truth – most teaching colleags & publishers simply dont care! As long as they make money sticking in the same tired old grooves theyre happy.
    What changed my experience from one of incredulity at my inability to communicate my discovery (which seemed to me as important as penicillin in musical terms) was the backing of the MD of a large bookshop chain who had seen the difference in effect of one of his children learning with my method as opposed to his older two who had learnt (unhappily) in a conventional way. He intro'd me to a multinational publisher, who seemed red hot until my friend's company was taken over & he was out. Then, with little ceremony, they dumped me.
    It took me a year to pick myself up after such a calculated slap & then I decided that as I have a designer son & am pretty techy Id publish it myself. Which I did about a year ago.
    I will not breach netiquette by telling you what it is or where you can see it unless someone 'drops a hat' - in which case, before it reaches the ground, Ill give you full details.
    Sincerly
    Maxwell Steer

2. cynthiaalise profile image60
    cynthiaaliseposted 14 years ago

I think that there is room for innovation in any subject.  I am glad that you are undertaking this work and hop that you do not sway from your teaching method because it isn't accepted by the establishment.  Best of luck on everything.

3. caspar profile image60
    casparposted 14 years ago

Your method sounds very interesting, but not just for children. I started having piano lessons as an adult and I found reading music very difficult, especially reading two lines at the same time and making each hand do something different...it made my brain hurt! Unfortunately my then 2 year old daughter used to cry every time I practised (can't blame her really) and I gave up after struggling with the stress of taking my Grade 1 (embarrassing sitting in the waiting room with 5 year olds.)

I think a colourful method would be good for adult beginners too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)