Great Vegetarian Recipes
If we are thinking of becoming vegetarian, we will need to have at our disposal a great range of vegetarian recipes.
We can eat and live well without meat, fish, and poultry by substituting vegetables,herbs and spices to give our food texture and flavor. Foods that taste good will always be welcome in anyone's home, vegetarian or otherwise.
You need not be limited in your choice of foodstuffs if you choose to become vegetarian, as there is always soya that you can add to dishes which acts and tastes like meat, but isn't.
Soya can be used instead of ground beef and if you nip over to the article there you will find loads of ideas for cooking ground beef. Simply substitute soya for the meat and follow the rest of the ideas as if you were cooking meat.
Soya just needs to be soaked for 10 minutes and then it is ready to act as a meat substitute.
I, myself, am not vegetarian but I'm sure anyone reading here, vegetarian or not, will find these recipes delicious enough to try.
Great vegetarian recipes like these are enough to make us think about becoming vegetarian.
Vegetarian Recipes at Amazon
Vegetable Lasagne recipe
8 oz wholewheat lasagne
8 oz onions
6 oz celery
4 oz green pepper
8 oz carrots
1lb can tomatoes
2 oz polyunsaturated margarine
2 oz cornflour
1 1/4pt skimmed milk
10 oz cottage cheese
- Heat main oven to 3500F/1800C/Gas mark 4.
- Cook lasagne according to instructions on packet.
- Place onion, celery, pepper, carrot and tomatoes in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season, then add oregano.
- Make sauce by melting margarine, add cornflour and stir until smooth.
- Add milk, stir until thickened and add cottage cheese.
- Simmer for 1 minute.
- Layer lasagne and vegetable sauce in overnproof dish, finishing with a layer of lasagne and cover with cheese sauce.
- Cook for 40 minutes.
Serves 4 - 6.
Hot Cheese Souffle recipe
1 oz butter
1/2 oz flour
1/2 pt milk
3 oz grated cheese
salt and pepper
- Grease souffle dish.
- Separate the eggs, melt butter and stir in flour (use extra flour for a firmer texture).
- Gradually add milk and bring to the boil stirring until it becomes a smooth sauce.
- Cool slightly, add cheese, seasoning and egg yolks one by one.
- Beat well.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Bake in centre of medium oven 190ο/375οF/Gas mark 5 for 30 minutes until well-risen and brown.
Vegetable Curry recipe
1/2 oz margarine
8 oz mixed vegetables or fruit
1 level tablespoon curry powder or paste
1 level dessertspoon plain flour
1/2 pint of vegetable stock
1 dessertspoon mango chutney
1 oz sultanas
4 oz long grain rice
squeeze lemon juice
- Peel and chops vegetables.
- Melt margarine in small saucepan and fry onion until golden brown.
- Add remaining vegetables, flour and cooking powder, cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add stock slowly, stirring constantly.
- Add chutney, sultanas, lemon juice and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil stirring constantly, cover and leave to simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling water.
Nutty Burgers recipe
1 medium onion
4 oz peanuts, roasted or dry roasted
1 small pkt Philadelphia cream cheese
i slice wholemeal bread, made into crumbs
1 egg, beaten
clove of garlic, crushed
small pinch of nutmeg
black pepper, salt
1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- Finely chop onion and nuts, or place in food processor till well chopped but not pureed.
- Add breadcrumbs, cream cheese, beaten egg, tomato sauce and spices.
- Whizz together in processor.
- Fry spoonfuls over medium heat till browned on both sides.
Mushrooms a la Grecque
1lb button mushrooms
5 oz olive oil
juice 1 lemon
large bunch parsley, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
6 oz white wine
2 sprigs fresh or dry thyme
salt and freshly ground pepper
- Wash mushrooms and leave whole if small otherwise cut into 2 or 4.
- Put remaining ingredients into large pan and bring to boil.
- Throw in mushrooms and cook gently, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool.
- Serve cold in their sauce with freshly-sliced French bread.
Curried Rice recipe
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
curry powder to taste
1/4 pint milk
8 oz cooked rice
8 oz cheese
2 tablspoons oil
- Peel and chop onions small and cook in oil until tender.
- Add cooked rice, grated cheese, curry powder, mustard, beaten eggs and milk.
- Mix well together and place on a greased baking dish.
- Bake in oven at 180οC/350οF/Gas mark 4 for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with carrots or cold with salad.
More by this Author
Have you ever tried chicken pakora at Asian restaurants? Here is a simple buy delicious recipe for you to try at home. Very quick and easy to make, and is just wonderful! Chicken pakora is usually served as a starter or...
If you are ever in Spain or a Spanish tapas bar, you will appreciate the tapas (snacks) served alongside your drinks. Here are a few popular tapas recipes for you to try at home.
Recycling plastic bottles are all the rage, and what better way to make use of them, than by building yourself a greenhouse? Learn how to build a greenhouse made from plastic bottles.