jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How to make a great home made sauce?

1. CheriLuvsU profile image60
    CheriLuvsUposted 7 years ago

I am tired of these crapy canned, jarred sauces. I just want a nice gravy/sauce for my ziti, is that too much to ask???

1. JMGOLD08 profile image60
      JMGOLD08posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Depending on the size of the dish, I like to make mine in large batches(cool) then freeze for later use.
      Start with (5-6 cloves)minced garlic, chopped onion, mushroom,green peppers chopped real fine and fresh parsley.  Put everything but the garlic and onion in a cusinart(by hand is fine).  In a large pot put about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  Heat pan and add garlic, don't let it get brown.  Then add onions till they become clear, and now it's time for the rest of the veg.  Cook until everything is tender.  Now you can use fresh tomatoes sliced in quarters or 2 cans stewed tomatoes(store brand is fine) and 2 cans tomatoe paste.  Add about 1 cup water(or a can of chicken stock) salt and pepper to taste and a bay leaf(or 2).I also add a pich of sugar and a couple red pepper flakes.  Let it simmer on low heat for 1 1/2 hr.  Stirring throughout.  You can let it cook for up to 3-4 hr. for a richer flavor.  Or put it all in the crock pot all day.  Good luck

2. bearnmom profile image50
    bearnmomposted 7 years ago

I make my own sauce and it is just great on any pasta.  You can find it on my Recipes From Nunny pages.  I prefer my Spaghetti Sauce with Meat but the Marinara is okay too.

3. JMGOLD08 profile image60
    JMGOLD08posted 7 years ago

I also prefer my sauce with meat, but a standard marinara for baked dishes is easier. Then you can make another meat dish as a side.  Then there is enough left overs so you won't have to cook the next day smile

4. 0
    bloodnlatexposted 7 years ago

Slit the throat and let it bleed out.  The best sauces are natural ones.