30 Year Class Reunion

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

Some will think this is a wrong category for a High School Class Reunion thread, but that is because you do not know my class of 1980!
    We were not the typical school class. From Pre-school to grade school, junior high and especially high school...we were more family than classmates.

I grew up in a small town called Delight, Arkansas. Graduating class of 31. (31 walk the aisle and 27 signed diplomas!) We were the largest in the school history to that point and may still be.

We were a school class that would have disagreement, the normal fuss and fights, but...the next day we all hung out together. We developed the bonds of family members would.
    We were a class that would "catch chickens" (I think only real Southerners would know what that was) to raise money for a Senior trip as well as school plays, sell magazines and other items. LOL we had an 8 day Senior trip through all parts of Florida with cash also for each class member.

Even after 30 years, (which is a long time and I have kept up with over half the class)...at the 30 year Reunion this past weekend it was like we stepped back into time, sort of, but into the present as well and we all connected as we did before.

We shared the stories of our lives since the school days, shared thoughts of dreams and where we are now. We talked about the what-ifs and how we see ourselves a few years down the road.
    It was so comfortable as if we were still way back in our school days. LOL we are sooooo much older, but the connections were still the same.

All school classes I have heard about or read about have their "cliques." We were different. Our class was the "clique." Everyone of us the same,but different in a good way.  It is like a class of 31 brothers and sisters or cousins I guess you would say. (but not kin!...lol)

I am still in awe and amazement at how much I really enjoyed the past weekend. For the past several months, memories have flooded back and now even more still are of those times.

We now have our own private Facebook page and that is wonderful. We are planning another "official reunion" in 2 years. but...several of us are planning a fall get together. lol It was too much fun to wait that long. lolol

Just wanted to share a wonderful time which I have anticipated for a year now and was worth it this past weekend. Everyone should have such a great reunion time as we all had at my 30 year Class reunion!

1. wavegirl22 profile image47
      wavegirl22posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was wondering how your reunion went and so happy to hear that you had so much fun . .31 in your class. . OH me oh my. . add a few zeros to that and you have my graduating class. . .

Facebook is fun for this .. all my class pictures from grade one have been posted over the last year. . I love to see who comes up with what and what names reappear .. .brings back such memories. .

Gee Michael . .all I can think is that this post would have made an incredible Hub . . a tribute to your class!!

Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have thought about a hub, but.....would need pics and permission for all the pics and class members before I would use them. LOL, it would be a fun, loving and hilarious hub!!!  It was a wild day Saturday especially.

2. PhoenixPoet profile image52
      PhoenixPoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I only made my fifth-year reunion because I graduated high school and college back East and am now living out West.

2. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I didn't enjoy high school and will never go to a reunion, but that wont stop me from appreciating what you have with your class.  I think it's wonderful to be so close with so many people who know you better than anyone else in the world. 

With 31 extra people throughout your life, I bet you don't feel lonely. smile

Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is a fine point Rafini.  With my classmates (and I have a large family through 1st and 2nd cousins I grew up with) I know they would all have my back if needed as I would theirs. My hometown is kind of like a "clan." We are there for each other.
      I am sorry you feel that way about your school class. I am sorry you have missed out on what I have with my classmates. It is a true gift if you have that. I know I was lucky to have what I have and I do appreciate it very much.

3. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

A guy from our Class of '80 has a large piece of land that has a 50 acre lake in the middle of it.  He has a huge recreation facility he built on it to hold reunions, office picnics, etc.  He owns his own business.  Luckily, because so many of his close friends are from the Class of '81 (my class) they invited both the classes of '79 and '81 to their reunion this year.  They held it back in June.  I had a blast.  Our classes are about 100 students each.  Only about a dozen from my class attended, but I've already begun work on ours for next year.  We plan to invite the class above and below us too and the guy already said we could have it at his place again.  With all the classes doing that we can begin to have a class reunion far more often and hopefully keep better track of each other.

Glad you had a good time, Michael.  I envy that close bond you all had.  There were just too many of us to have that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)