Computer Science and SEO

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. fdoleac profile image60
    fdoleacposted 13 years ago

What business schools teach SEO as part of their marketing programs?

1. profile image50
      andrewbushposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

2. Canal_Digital profile image59
      Canal_Digitalposted 13 years ago

I have to say that I am searching for a place to learn more about SEO, but the truth is that there is no school where you can learn it.

The best thing that you can do is to start working as a freelancer on smaller projects and try all kind of new things that you find online at websites like SEOMOZ and SEARCHENGINEJOURNAL. That way you will get all the experience that you need to run proper SEO campaign for your website.

IF you want to be really good SEO expert, make sure that you read all the new announcements on a couple of websites. This is vital when it comes to SEO

fdoleacposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is it possible that in business colleges that SEO is not in the marketing mix?

1. saleheensblog profile image61
          saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i am also interested in SEO.I think SEO hubs and books could help us untill we find a place to learn officially.There are plenty of great hubs on the topic.

2. Canal_Digital profile image59
          Canal_Digitalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am located in Europe and I have to say that there is no college offering it for studying.
          However, I have to say that there are some courses, which you can take to master SEO.

3. Peter Hoggan profile image67
      Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

There are one or two hubs that adequately cover the basics of SEO. The problem with an official syllabus is that it would be out of date as soon as it was created. Learn the basics and then get some real life experience optimizing your own sites or maybe working for a SEO company.

I have studied SEO for two year and agree that most of the available info comes from forums, blogs and newsgroups.  When I was a business major in college, we had marketing courses that reviewed direct response marketing, call to action, headlines, etc.  There certainly is enough basic information to offer a 401 level course.

4. profile image0
      Car Donationsposted 13 years ago

The basics of SEO can be learned from a book. But the market keeps changing. So what works today, might not work tomorrow. It is most important to keep up with the changes. Google is constantly changing their algorithms. The social media market also changes things.

1. Canal_Digital profile image59

Therefore you have to keep up-to-date with everything and change your SEO strategies accordingly.

The main thing that you should know about SEO is that you have to learn how to think outside the box - this is what separates the spammers from the real SEO masters.

One thing I do know is that "advanced SEO" would require utilizing statistical analysis and a strong math background for testing purposes.  We all have to assume what the algorithms are and test against.  We manage 900 domains and have the flexibility to test concepts and ideas.

2. fdoleac profile image60

Most computer science majors I know in college often know more than their professors.

1. Canal_Digital profile image59

That is very common in Europe and the main reason for that is the fact that most of the teachers do not spend enough time to learn new things.

2. wmspringer profile image60
          wmspringerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I suspect you mean, know more about current hot topics. After all, it's generally a professor's job to create new knowledge (research), not to keep up with the latest programming languages.

5. t2webnetwork profile image41
      t2webnetworkposted 13 years ago

You're going to find that while you can apply some marketing fundamentals toward SEO, there really aren't that many colleges teaching SEO (at least in my area).

SEO is an amazing field and 99% of the time, you will make the most working for yourself.

I would suggest you just go to Amazon and search for SEO books.  I have bought countless books here and they have taught me many things I could apply toward my company.

Good luck!

6. Research Analyst profile image73
      Research Analystposted 13 years ago

I have seen ads online for a school called Full sail that teaches SEO, SEM and PPC.

Full Sail university is a for-profit university located in Winter Park, Florida. online offerings include fields and campus degrees, for Internet Marketing and Sports Management, as well as Web Design & Development and Computer Animation.

Then there is Rasmussen College that offers a business management degree with specialization in internet marketing. Walter Rasmussen founded Rasmussen College in 1900's in Minnesota.

They offer a online business degrees in BA. or Associates

1. profile image0
        khmohsinposted 13 years ago

According to me, as I have learnt few skills of SEO, its nothing to learn, its actually is to judge the way a search engine works.
        Like Google is King of search engines right now, its trend setter. So our main focus is Google.com.
        We do social media campaigns, article marketing, video marketing, On-page or off-page SEO, E-mail marketing, forum postings, commenting, free blog post, premium blog postings and so many things to prove that we know what a search engine matters.

You have to read a lot but follow what you are experiencing. Start SEO from blogging like blogger.com or wordpress.com.

Extend your skills by getting your own website and prove that you know better and never use any black hat techniques, otherwise google will straightly block you, means death of your website.

I think its enough on SEO if you could work on it.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image63
        I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

I think an SEO course could be developed, even with the changing nature of the field. Understanding how search engines work and how to use statistical analysis with regard to keywords and keyword phrases to reach a broader market would probably be the key components of an SEO course.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)