evolution??

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (131 posts)
  1. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Just a thought..

IF you believe in evolution of physical aspects of life.
       And if you believe in evolution of the intellect.

Why would you exclude the possibility of evolution of the spiritual aspects of life?

1. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Understanding a concept does not equate to believing it. smile

Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Which of these concepts do you understand but not believe.

Physical evolution ?
        Intelectual evolution?
        or
        spiritual evolution?

Why does it have to be either OR.

Is evolution segrated within certain areas of life  and not others?

Believing and understanding are different concepts, Jerami, one can exist without the other. It all depends on which concept you embrace to rule your worldview. smile

So true ...  and regardless of what that belief is? ...  collectively, we sometimes cause a false belief to become reality.  Every spoken word has a certain amount of constructive or destructive power.

Embracing only beliefs without any understanding is delusional. smile

2. Druid Dude profile image59
        Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, anyone who believes a concept before understanding it, is in for a big surprise. Hey, Beel, Do you really understand? See what I mean....SURPRISE!!! smile

1. Dave Barnett profile image57
          Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, Druid! I think you're right. BEELzedad doesn't really understand much. That is what he tries to hide. BUT, all three of us agree. He'll really be confused at this point.

2. profile image0
      AKA Winstonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is nothing to believe or disbelieve about physical evolution (of which intellectual capacity is part).  All one can do with evolution is understand the rational explanation of what may have occured.

Spiritualness requires belief.  We cannot show that a concept called spirit is factual, so we can only believe it is factual and may have then evolved.

As an aside, I'm never quite sure why theists try so hard to marry rationality with irrationality, realism with surrealism.   It's certainly O.K. to believe in god or gods - there's just no way to show that it is rational to believe.

3. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what do you mean by spiritual evolution?  I think religion and theology has evolved; so has language; science and practically everything else

I am not sure of what I believe spirit, soul, consciousness to be. They may all be the same thing or different aspects of a single thing.

I do think that everything is in a state of becoming.
        What ??   we do not know until we get there. 
          And maybe some of us have a better understand of what that is than others. Who knows,...  Not Me.

1. getitrite profile image72
          getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So why did you start a thread about it?
          Seems to me like you already have a presupposition.

I do not think that your reasoning in the above statement is valid.

Have you ever seen something and thought to your self ...   "What the heck is that?"

Does the fact that you do not know what it is mean that it doesn't exist.
               There is a hole in that reasoning.

Jerami, you are well versed in wishful thinking.

4. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I consider reincarnation as being one possibility in relation to the concept of soul I definitely figure that the point there is exactly one of evolution, each life moving to a higher state of being spiritually speaking smile

I have considered the possibility of reincarnation and that makes perfect sense to me too.
          But I see the concept working in both directions  you know ..  One step forwards and two steps backwards sometimes.

In relationship of scripture there are a few problems with that concept.  BUT  that is true even in relationship with itself.

Religion can not make up its mind if when we die, we go to be with God,  and yet we have to wait for the resurrection???

5. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why belieeve in the spiritual at all, because it makes you feel better, safer?

You ask   This is my answer.

There is a oneness that is interwoven among all living things.  Something that we can not see with our eyes, feel with our hands and face or hear with our ears. But we are all connected in a way that we can not understand properly.
           But the communication continues with or without our acknowledge of it.

We do have a sixth sense but we have learned to ignore it.
        Our ignoring it does not cause it to cease to exist.  Our ignoring it simply diminishes our ability to access it.

Many people surmise that if   "I"  can not access it; It doesn't exist.  That simply isn't true in many cases, and spirituality is one of these instances.

What, where, how this spirituality is, I don't know.  But I know that it is.

How do I  know?  I don't know?  But I do.

If this is crazy?   OK

Yes, it's nice to imagine such things, Jerami, although it's nothing but pure philosophical claptrap. smile

2. Pcunix profile image90
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You don't know. You imagine. You pretend. You fantasize.

LOL! Well said, in a nutshell. smile

2. Jerami profile image59

That is all that any of us can do.
              imagine.  pretend.  fantasize.

If you believe otherwise you are living in denial.

Some of us deal strictly with reality, you are free to join us in the endeavor. smile

Everyone imagines, pretends  and fantasizes about what they thinks reality is.
                   You say tomato , I say fruit.  And if someone says vegetable, that doesn't change the taste one tiny bit.

1. Pcunix profile image90
                  Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We know what reality is. We fantasize about what COULD be, but we are very clear about what actually is. You are not.

If I were to make a list of all that is real and you made your list; there would be little difference between the two lists.

You seem to be fixated on a very small portion that is different.

You can not....   That is what everyone said to the wright brothers.
                       Turned out ....   They didn't know as much as they thought that they did.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

No, just believers do that. The rest of us accept reality for what it is.

No, you say reality and reality says fantasy.  smile

6. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For one, according to your belief system and your idea or concept of god, it doesn't change...ever.  It doesn't evolve.

According to your belief system, you regard a spirit as being the same as god in the monotheistic/triad/god/spirit/ghost and you believe those things do not change...ever.

SOOOOooo, it's your belief that holds you back from understanding the evolutionary process and it's your belief system that perverts the understanding of evolution and assumes that people who believe it or understand it, don't also accept that we also evolve spiritually. 

Your bs (belief system) insist that people who believe in change or evolution lack any spirituality because it assumes that only people who believe in god or the holy spirit, can be spiritual.

You sound as though you know me better than I do!

I wish that I knew as much about me as you do!!

1. stilljustwonderin profile image60
          stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know you!  You use to be a monkey!  hahaha

No, I think that is bs.  We weren't monkeys.  Any one who wants to believe their ancestors were monkeys can, but I don't buy it.

Yea if anything???   I was a lion ...  like you are

1. profile image56
              exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was a little ameba on the sun til it came time for me to become human

In reality I was a tree....   A MIGHTY tree.   I was kidding a while ago about the lion.

7. profile image0

I just now noticed the title: evolution??

So the second question mark indicates a question whether or not the initial question should have been used?  So, in essence the title is evolution and we can just forget the ???

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

If that pleases you go for it.??? or not!

2. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

First there was creation; then the evolution took place. Am I right?

Yes.

3. profile image50

Once we agree

Perhaps, but I doubt we agree on the creation part of it.

4. profile image50

It is big bang. Am I right?

5. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

BTW, I don't so much have 'beliefs' as I have 'ideas' and I do think there is a big difference smile

6. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Because you have to give empirical evidence for "spirit" before making further stories of spiritual evolution.

There is a difference between expressing an opinion and pushing that belief as irrefutable fact.

If I am trying to convince others that my belief is irrefutable fact?? ...  then .. Proof is required.

1. profile image0

Jerami,

It helps to define terms. 
        Irrefutable fact=physical existence=object+location=Objective.
        Anything other than above Irrefutable fact=belief=Opinion=Subjective

Proof=convincing= altering the perception of=Opinion
        Therefore, Opinion=Proof=Subjective=Opinion

The Law of Non-Contradiction: If P then not-P.  If Irrefutable fact, then not Opinion, If Objective, then not Subjective.

Proof has noting to do with it.  Fact is always objective.

You can not logical anticipate the actions of the illogical mind.

You can not use normal rules to prove the paranormal.

Therefore the paranormal does not exist???    NOT!

When attempting to prove the non normal;  other than normal methods  must apply!

1. profile image0

Jerami,

The issue is not to prove anything - as proof is subjective.  The issue is whether or not you can give a rational explanation for your hypothesis that the paranormal exists.

First, you have to define what you mean by exist, and that definition must be unambiguous else no one will have a clue as to what you mean.

Second, you then have to explain how the paranormal then fits with your definition of existence  - in a manner that is consistent with natural laws.

Otherwise, you  are just spouting your religious beliefs from a soap box, are you not?

7. kess profile image60
    kessposted 13 years ago

Belief is inevitable.
    No belief is actually false belief and that is death in totality.

to beieve something one does not understand is false belief.
    to understand something and believe it not is also false  belief.
    or better said, you believe the false of that which is true or you believe the true of that which is false.

In this age both truth and false are a reality.
    You can know the truth by the false, but you cannot know the false unless truth is with it.

evolution is only possible because of the spiritual.
    evolution in the material world is impossible without spirituality.

evolution is a positive, constant, indefinite process of the spiritual.

The upper limit of spiritual evolution is perfection and this perfection is unlimited.

The upper limit of material evolution is spiritual, that too is perfection.

I think that I agree.
        Sometimes people can be trying to say the same thing but expressing it differently which seems to be contradictory when it actually is not.

8. Jerami profile image59

AKA Winston
    wrote:

There is nothing to believe or disbelieve about physical evolution (of which intellectual capacity is part).  All one can do with evolution is understand the rational explanation of what may have occured.

- - - - -

Many people believe that Evolution has a mind of its own and travels in a single direction, which isn't  true.  Our technological advancements are but one factor that determines its direction.  Making all things possible depending upon the conditions on earth which we do have some influence upon.                                                               We choose to follow the path of the physical understand .. OR .. that of our  Spiritual. If the Spiritual aspects are unknown to us, it is because we chose not to pursue advancement in that direction.   

When society as a whole focus in one direction, that eliminates any possibility of us evolving in another.
       We truly do have free will in every arena.
      This is my thoughts on the matter.

1. profile image0

Jerami,

Belief and rationality are oil and water.  To continue to try to mix them only results in irrationality. 

A) You must believe in the spirit before anything spiritual can occur.
      B) The sun was there before man inhabited the earth.

A is belief; B is a rational statement. 

C) To speculate on the spirit of the sun is irrational, but you are welcome to bellieve the sun has a spirit..

9. Jerami profile image59

AKA Winston wrote..
       Belief and rationality are oil and water.  To continue to try to mix them only results in irrationality. 
    - - - - - - -

Belief and rationality are one and the same. 
    It is rational to believe that the earth revolves around the sun.  Why do we believe that the earth revolves around the sun?

I haven't had the vantage point to actually see this happen.
      I believe it because I read about it in a book.
      And a whole lot of others have read many different books that their beliefs agree with ours.
       I believe it cause I read it and that makes sense to me and many others.
    =====================================================
    AK .... 
    A) You must believe in the spirit before anything spiritual can occur.
    - - - - -
        Do I have to believe in snakes before one can bite me?
        After one bites me is it OK to believe in it.
        What if it is a species that has never been seen before;

Everything that we KNOW is standing upon the sands of belief. 
       Seems like to me!
    ============================================================

1. profile image0

(It is rational to believe that the earth revolves around the sun.)

Jerami,

You have a lot of misconceptions that are particular to philosophy and hence religion.  The purpose of rationality is to explain.  The purpose of belief is to assume. 

Belief would be the hypothesis to rationality's theory.     No one "believes" the earth revolves around the sun.  We simply understand that it is so in order to explain why it occurs.

Belief is inductive and subjective - an opinion.

I often get busy and miss comments such as this time, didn't simply ignore the conversation.  Sorry!

When we see a turtle one day and it is over here and today it is over there, it is logical to suppose that someone moved it of it moved itself. If we then sit and watch it? But it some how moved when we were not looking at it for only a minute. We can logically assume that it moved by itself. We can then say that we BELIEVE that it moved by itself.
           Then one day, we see its legs come out of the shell and see it walking; We now have faith in the conclusion that it moves  upon its own power.
          BUT we do not understand HOW the legs work, or what triggers this action.

The point I'm making is that belief is a stage in logical thinking, and faith is another, and knowing soon follows.
          Do we not have to dissect the poor little creature and learn all of the muscular,neurological and chemical aspects before it can be said that we KNOW that it moves on its own power?

1. profile image0

Jerami,

You are confusing observation and inductive reasoning for rational thinking.  Rational thinking is simply explanatory based on the nature of physical realities.  It is never assumed to be true, right, absolute, or gospel.

Rationality is non-contradictory. 

Sir Francis Bacon screwed up everyone in science with his ideas of a scientific method based on observations and falsifiability.  Observation is by its nature subjective, and has no explanatory purpose - the best it can do is offer an assumption (prediction) of what might occur but cannot explain why it occurs.

I am not knocking the current scientific method, as there is value in the human existence to be aware that a hot burner on a stove is likely to burn your hand tomorrow as it was today in the "burning hand" experiment, but to think that finding as some kind of "proof" is disingenous thinking, as what if tomorrow we evolve to have thicker skinned, silicon-based hands that do not so easily burn and the test results are altered - is that then a "new truth" or was the previous experimental result not really "true" but "probable", a position of inductive reasoning?

There is another type science, although not as popular.  It is based on rational explanations and its sole purpose is to explain natural phenomenon by rational methods.   It offers no proofs, only rational reasoning.

10. profile image50

First there was creation; then the evolution took place.

1. skipper112 profile image59
      skipper112posted 13 years agoin reply to this

that might be true, but it was nothing to do with Allah

1. libby101a profile image60
        libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL!

2. getitrite profile image72

Don't tell me....GODDUNIT!

11. J.R. Smith profile image58
    J.R. Smithposted 13 years ago

Has anyone done the research on evoloution? It's full of false information. Piltdown man was a fraud, based on a pig tooth. Fact. Cro-magnon discoverer admitted he placed a monkey skull on a human jaw. fact. The world's leading expert on "lucy" has proclaimed her a monkey.fact. That's just the anthropologists. Chemists have ruled against chemical birth, although they agree on chemical process of death.fact. Geneticists can trace the x chromosome to one woman. fact.They can trace the y chromosone to one man. fact. Mathematicians have figured that the "random" chances of our proteins lining up is 10 to the 40,000 power.fact.There wasn't even enough evidence to win in the scopes monkey trial in 1925.look it up,evoloution was convicted and fined,yet swept under the rug in perhaps the greatest press slant in American history.Darwin himself said his work was speculative in the absence of the missing fossil records.

It's quite obvious you have not. smile

Here are some more facts for you:

1 The sun was created before the earth.
      2 The earth is around 4.5 billion years old.
      3 The stars are actually far-off galaxies.
      4 There is no evidence to support resurrections of the dead.
      5 As of this date, people have never been transformed into salt.
      6 There is no evidence of a god.
      7 There is no evidence for Intelligent Design.
      8 Even if there was ID, then that is no proof that it was the nonsensical version in one book of priimitive myths, because, as we know, there are others with the same claim.
      9 The earth is round.
      10 Whales are mammals, a fact that has been proven, and firmly supports the theory of evolution.
      11 Birds share DNA with the maniraptoran dinosaur, further support of the theory of evolution.
      12 Humans share 95 to 98% of DNA with chimpanzees.

It seems that you insist on rigidly logical irrefutable proof of the theory that is more probable, but require nothing more than hearsay and blind faith to believe in the most absurd and improbable premise.

This is called willful ignorance.

1. J.R. Smith profile image58
        J.R. Smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Everything I said was researchable fact. Your reply is against God, not necessarily pro-evoloution. The "facts surrounding the study are falling apart daily. I encourage you to look up anything I stated. Whether you believe in God or not, these scientists have been chasing a dream. Start with cro-magnon, You'll like that. Can't find facts? make them.
        On a side note, Clouds are 98% water, watermelons are 98% water and jellyfish are 98% water. Are they equal? According to evolutionists,they must be.

I'll check it out, and get back to you.

2. profile image0

lol  A scientist would never pick something simple and common like water to distinguish between things!

DNA molecules are more like fingerprints and have a unique pattern.  So 98% similar DNA is a very very big thing.

3. Woman Of Courage profile image61
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

J.R, I have done research on evolution, and I have read that Darwin's work was speculative in the absense of the missing fossil records.

Yes, I read believers making that claim all the time, but the truth of the matter is they never have and probably never will understand let alone research evolution. If they did, they would actually gain an understanding of it and wouldn't constantly be making extraordinary claims about it. smile

4. profile image0

Willful biased ignorance is still ignorance - fact.

1. J.R. Smith profile image58
        J.R. Smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

any one of these points can be researched.you should. But, then your entire philosophy dissolves...maybe you shouldn't.

1. profile image0

Willfully researched biased ignorance is still ignorance - fact.

5. profile image0

lol
      Some of the "facts" you quote are actually support of evolution.  The mitocondrial DNA of female ancestory goes back to a common ancestor(s) with similar DNA in Africa; and this female did not live at the same time as the last common ancestor that has been traced back for males (also from Africa).  These are not the first ever humans. 

The Scope's monkey trial was over a teacher that had broken the law by teaching evolution. Scopes was fined a minimum of $100 as "guilty" and then didn't have to pay it as the verdict was disallowed.  The whole thing was a joke.   There have been many courtroom battles (because creationists didn't want evolution taught).  In the end, it was deemed that evolution belongs to science, creationism to religion.

Darwin didn't have a huge number of fossils in his time, but in the 150 years since, there have been numerous fossils found since, plus huge advances in understanding gained in medicine, genetics, microbiology etc. 

I have listed a few of the "transitionary" fossils in my hub:  evolution: unintelligent design.

Get your facts straight.

12. kazemaru2 profile image59
    kazemaru2posted 13 years ago

Scientific theories are subject to constant revision. The concept of evolution is very simple organisms change over time. This is a process but it doesn't entirely explain life.

1. mom101 profile image61
      mom101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right.

One day scientists may actually "discover" God. 

Mom used to tell me something and I was so stubborn, so determined to prove her wrong. Sad thing was, most of the time she was right. She would get a kick out of me doing all this stuff just to prove her wrong. She passed in 03 and sometimes I still try to prove her wrong. Never works. But even though she is not here for me to hug or be hugged or smell her near, i know she exists.

Common thread. Common sense.

Simple.

Actually, common sense would dictate that one day believers may actually discover reality. smile

you lil preacher you

2. profile image0

Or perhaps it implies that 'god' is being covered...up.

If scientist do, one day, actually discover God, I am sure it won't be the God of the bible, quran, torah, or any other insane religious books.

1. profile image0

My thoughts are similar. smile

2. Woman Of Courage profile image61

mom101, There are scientists who have discovered the God of the bible.

1. profile image0

In a book?

In a book? Science? Never. ........

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Why is that Christians feel the need to fabricate stories to support their belief system? Can they not find support within that system adequately, they must resort to tall tales?

3. getitrite profile image72

Good!  Now let's see the evidence of their discovery.

If there are no corroborating evidence, then you should refrain from making knee-jerk, unsubstantiated statements as this.

Just saying.

4. mom101 profile image61

womanofcourage, you are so right, and the unbelievers do not like to admit it.

1. qwark profile image59
            qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mom:
            I'm sure you are a very nice person!
            No insult intended, I'm just typing what I'm thinking after I read what you replied to WOCourage.
            Neither of you "KNOW" WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! lol
            Respectfully, Pls challenge me in ref to this reply to you.   :-)

1. Woman Of Courage profile image61

Have a blessed day.

Then, I suppose YOU have the corroborating evidence to validate her claim?  Good!  Let's see it!

If not you should never make emotive knee-jerk confirmations as such. If you did the same in a court of law, you would be the best witness for the other side.

Your testimony, unfortunately, lacks integrity, therefore it will do nothing but hurt the witness and ultimately the case.

It just doesn't look good.

Why should we admit she is right with no convincing evidence whatsoever?  How can you justify treating us with this terrible inconsideration? Really. Does that even make sense...even to you?

3. profile image0

Mom,

I don't know if you are nice or not, but I am certainly confused by the language you endorse.  What exactly does "discovered" mean?   Is this a claim of "uncovered", as in "the scientific dig uncovered the fossil of God in the Garden" or do you mean these scientists "discovered" the graffiti "God of the Bible" painted on their garage door in orange paint and signed by triple x or are you saying the more credible "some scientists have come to believe in God"?

I don't mind admitting anything - but I'd like to know what you mean, first.

AKA Winston

I would really like to think that there have been scientists that have come to believe in God.

1. profile image0

Yep.  You could be right.  Personally, to me it doesn't matter.

But it was a nice, reasonable answer so I will now side with Quark and assume you are a nice person, after all.  :-))

4. earnestshub profile image79
            earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm happy to admit some scientists have found god. I hope others are willing to check the background of those scientists.
            Every single one I have looked at was an indoctrinated from birth or soon after religionist.

Truth is, they have had a belief then set out to prove it. Hardly scientific method is it?

1. qwark profile image59

Hey! welcome back Earn!!! We missed ya!

2. pylos26 profile image71
              pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah Earnest…Hope it don’t take long for you to return the flavor to these bland threads…your return has made my day.

1. earnestshub profile image79

Thanks for the encouragement. smile

My "flavor" seems to get me banned all the time. I will be more aware of who the trolls are who live to ram their junk down others throats and then get them banned when they disagree.

From now on I will report all personal assaults on non believers. I never bothered before unless it was really bad, but if hair splitting is the game. Game on!

1. profile image0

fair enough!

3. mom101 profile image61

Glad to see ya back at it Earnest.  Go easy on me?

I will treat others as they treat me as always. smile

4. profile image0

Yes, I know a few scientists that are christians.  One I recently quizzed about it, and he basically admitted that he realised there were plenty of unanswered questions in christianity that he is hoping to find answers for, and that it was the "knowing in his heart" subjective thing.  Also his father is a minister!

Same with every single post in these hubs that has been about the support of so-called "science" I have not seen one exception in 2 years here. smile

1. profile image0

this scientist is no longer talking to me - when he realised he wasn't going to succeed in re-converting me, he said "I'd rather have the girl of my dreams than a scientific discovery anyday!" (he's a 40 year old virgin waiting for god to provide, yet he wants infatuation as a 'sign').  I said, "yes, I'm sure she will just be in your dreams too." (ie figment of imagination).  Never heard back!

He sounds like a right tosser! smile

5. Woman Of Courage profile image61

Hi earnest, How are you today? I hope others are willing to check the background of those scientists also.

13. getitrite profile image72
    getitriteposted 13 years ago

Following religious books is actually having no real imagination.
    This is the imagination of someone else.  How dull.

I have a dogwood tree in my yard, A bird lands on it and eats a seed thereof, flies 10 miles down the road, takes a crap, seed from my dogweed are now 10 miles down the road, a dogwood tree later grows.

Dang, I did not know i was a rocket scientist. Everything DOES evolve from something. 

I agree with all your findings except 4 thru 7. 8 an 9 are purely opinion.

Genesis, the first book in the Bible expalins  the order of Creation which is by the way from which all has evolved.

Why is it so surprising that people continue to shout dna of apes? They came from the same place as we did. Why wouldn't they all show traces of the same DNA?

This analogy is absurd...

It appears that you have no real interest in understanding evolution or anything that crumbles the foundation of your beliefs.

This forces believers to accept willful ignorance over common sense, then declare, emphatically, that they are searching for the truth.

Where am I wrong? Everything does evolve from something. Period. Easy.. Common sense.  No brainer.

Seeds are spread in such ways.

genesis does describe the entire creation.

All of the above is truth. What else is there to prove?

1. profile image0

If you believe this then you must also believe that god also changes.

Hey Sandra,

See there is still some excitement in the forums, unlike someone said on FB.

2. profile image0

So many words; so little said.

(Where am I wrong?)

Mom,

Right and wrong have nothing to do with nature - you can't use the priest as a referee because nature won't hear the whistle and doesn't understand the game, anyway.

(Everything does evolve from something)

Could you please explain to me how the bicycle evolved by recreating itself along with any mutation it inherited from a previous bicycle generation?  How many genes are there in the bicycle genome?

(Period.)

I don't know why women always have to go there - your mood really isn't relevant. 

(Seeds are spread in such ways.)

Exactly - the seed of your procreation was carried into your mother's womb on the wings of a snow white dove.  Right?

(genesis does describe the entire creation.)

No.  It leaves out the part where God was created and then it leaves out how space (nothing) was created when nothing had to already be there. 

(All of the above is truth.)

Yes.  You believe it so it is your truth.  It is not everyone's truth, though.

(What else is there to prove?)

Nothing.  You believe it, so why prove it again to yourself?  Now, if you would like to explain rationally how an immaterial being could have interacted with nothing to cause the formation of matter and space I am all ears.

Just don't try to prove anything to me, o.k.?

2. profile image0

Chapter 1 of Genesis or chapter 2?  They don't follow the same progression.

14. profile image49
    ChristianSoldierposted 13 years ago

Evolution is still a THEORY. It can still be disproven. I dont believe in evolution.

Evolutionist believe that they come from Monkies.

I believe that I come from God.

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you have parents? Or were you made from nothing? hmm

2. profile image0

Therefore, God is a monkey?

I realize that I do not understand all of these modern day technical phrases that have scientific undertones.

Back almost six decades ago I was splitting my britches, eating dirt falling outa trees discovering gravity, hemitomas and bla bla bla for myself.  If we didn't know what it was ???  we tasted it first, that is if it was a wiggling.  We figured out what it was by what it tasted like. 

And whatever it was...  if we could catch it and if it was big enough we'd see if we could put a saddle on it and ride it.

We didn't need a book to tell us that it was going to taste like or if it would hurt us.  We found out. 
           We tasted it and depending upon how loud our bloowey was and how far we spit it out  that is how bad it tasted.  We didn't need no stinking book to tell us,  don't put that in your mouth!!! ...     it isn't going to taste good!   I suggest  put in your mouth and see if ya like it.  If it bites spit it out. 

Now that is scientific study on a down home level!!!
           Just kidding ...  but too many people gotta read a book before they can tell ya what they think.
           And that is true among the educated and the uneducated.

There is a such thing as an illiterate fool    AND   an educated idiot..   simple wisdom and intricate knowledge of complicated things.

Each of us are on our own journey to investigate and learn for our selves.   You caint tell nobody what you learned.. they gotta lernit for dem selfs

1. profile image0

So, you are saying, Go chew on a monkey?

What ever ya are wanting to figure out?

Do your own reasearch.  And then you will KNOW.

1. profile image0

I don't understand.  How will I know?  What if I chew on a monkey and like it, but you chew on the same monkey and don't like it - which one of us will "know" if the monkey tastes good or bad?

Or are you saying knowledge is subjective, that each of us by our own experience decides what we know and don't know.  Well, if that is right then there can be no absolute, universal knowledge of God - it would depend on whether or not we liked the taste when we chewed on him.

Well if I said it must be true. 
                    But there are no absolutes.

I always have truble chewing on mashed potatos and not chewing on suckers.  I'm confused???

1. profile image0

I'll take that as a "No Comment".  :-))

15. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Christian:
    lol...evolutionists don't believe man evolved from the monkey.
    My goodness!
    Aren't you embarrassed to make such an unlearned pronouncement publicly?
    Thy ignorance preceeds thy typing!
    Oh and by the way, micro evolution has been proved. it is no longer a theory. Macro? Nope, not yet. Given time, it will be.
    lol.....

1. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Oh and by the way, micro evolution has been proved. it is no longer a theory. Macro? Nope, not yet. Given time, it will be.
      lol....." (emphasis mine) cool

Now THAT'S a faith statement, if I've ever heard one. lol lol lol

And you ridicule faith! hmm  NICE move. lol lol lol

1. qwark profile image59

AKA;

Yep it sure is a leap-of-faith. for once ya got it right!
        The concept "Evolution" has already been proved!
        I have "faith" (hope, guess, conjecture) that if man exists long enuf, unlike the concept of supernatural hero divinities, man will prove that "complex life"  fits into the proven concept evolution. There is no epistemological limit to mans mental abilities.
        Yep! I sure do have "faith!"...:-)
        Oh, and by the way, I also have faith that the sun will rise from the East tomorrow morning.
        ....and here ya thought I was a "faithless" being! See how wrong ya can be?
        Qwark

Sorry qwark, the sunrise example does not fit the faith criteria. (But thats ok).

I never thought you were "faithless". You just focus your faith on this world system. Your whole life is bound by the senses and rationality etc. Though you are a "spiritual" being, you live in the flesh, not the Spirit. I understand that.

However, Thomas (like you) demanded physical proof (of Jesus' resurrection). Jesus did indeed give him an physical encounter. Thomas was able to put his fingers into the wound in Jesus' side. Then Jesus told him, "now, be not FAITHLESS (emphasis mine)". So, to Jesus, faithless requirers physical proof (sound like anyone?).
          Then He taught the following, "because you have seen, you believe, but BLESSED are those who HAVE NOT seen, yet they believe". (emphasis mine)
          So, in the above sense, I guess you ARE faithless.

You probably doubt Jesus ever existed, too, this whole post will be meaningless to you.

BTW my lovely little granddaughter is over for a visit, and has made my day. big_smile:

1. profile image0

@ aka-dj
            (However, Thomas (like you) demanded physical proof (of Jesus' resurrection). Jesus did indeed give him an physical encounter. Thomas was able to put his fingers into the wound in Jesus' side. Then Jesus told him, "now, be not FAITHLESS (emphasis mine)". )

Why do you quote this as if it were proof?  All the gospels differ in their stories - what makes you think this is a literal claim of an event that happened when it is mentioned no where else but one gospel?

The book of Mark portrays Jesus as an Apocalyptic Messiah, while the book of John paints the picture of a divine Jesus - what you cannot do is combine those two pictures into a third, the theology of let's try to reconcile the differences by claiming Jesus was a divine, Apocalyptic Messiah.

This is like saying,  "It was the best of times; it was the worst of times, for Scarlett and Rhett."

And like A Tale of Two Cities and Gone With the Wind, the gospels are unique and individual books, not meant  to be combined to tell a competelty different story.

Claiming  the Doubting Thomas story as factual based on one account that is not shared is like claiming that Twelve Oaks was real because it was mentioned in Gone With the Wind though no other writing about he civil war mentions this plantation by name.

Come on, man, you can't keep using bible quotes as inerrantly factual when anyone with even a quarter of a brain who has looked into the history of the bible knows it is a very human book and not inerrant in any possible way.

It's not your belief that annoys - it is those silly claims of inerrancy by quoting bible as authoritative fact that is so trying.

Thanks winston.
              I actually wasn't talking to you, so, not sure what you are saying to me.?
              I did not offer the story of Thomas as any kind of proof. Merely as a example, and Jesus' teaching on faith, in that instance.
              The rest of your discourse is irrelevant in my mind.
              Along with you biases contained in it. hmm

2. profile image0

macro has a lot more evidence than the bible has.  And how do young earth creationists explain fossils etc?  One giant flood event that somehow layered everything?

Sounds good so far. lol

1. profile image0

fill it out for me then, your version - did god put the dinosaurs etc on this supposed ark (despite that whole story being a complete joke), or did god decide to drown them all?  And the not trusting dating of fossils/rocks etc...why exactly not?

1. profile image0

http://ask.metafilter.com/35658/How-doe … l-evidence
              maybe one of these "answers"?  BTW, how did the dinosaurs die after going on ark?

16. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Most scientists beleive in God, just like most people do (rates of atheism are a little higher than average in the life scientists and a little lower than average in chemisty bench sciences and variable all over--sceintists are just people too).

The fallacy is in thinking religion and science are incompatable.  It is like the church is picking fights for no reason.  genetic variation and natural selection exist.  Ergo evolution exists.  No reason to think God didn't intend it that way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)