Does HIV cause AIDS?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I argued with a man who really believed there was no correlation between the virus and AIDS.  Has anyone else heard about this, or would like to expound upon it?  He believed the disease was many different afflictions and that pharmaceutical companies were in cahoots to sell HIV meds.  I would like to hear some valid points.  I worked for a non-profit AIDS foundation for 10 years, and was called a flunky for pharmaceutical companies.  Any thoughts? I was judged harshly by one guy, but I refuse to judge him.  I would like to hear some intellegent discourse whether it is in his defense, or not.

1. apeksha profile image66
      apekshaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hive when infects any person, no body can detect by only looking at person, only blood test can ensure that.
      But after 7 years of period the virus gets alerted and so person suffers with fever, TB at start stage and so called AIDS.

1. brad4l profile image72
        brad4lposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Medically, Aids is defined as having a T Cell Count that is less than 200. T Cells, are a type of White Blood Cells. When the white blood cell count drops, it leaves the individual at a much higher risk for contracting other diseases, because they are not able to fight off infection.

There is no set time that HIV will turn into AIDS, although on average it is 9 and 10 years. However, for some HIV may not turn into AIDS for up to 20 years. In the case of Magic Johnson, it has been almost 20 years since he announced he was HIV Positive, but he has not developed AIDS.

As usual, a good place to start to learn about HIV is wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiv

Mow a days there are many treatments on that ..so u can say that but my sister is doctor..and she might have seen many patients dead after that period..as the virus gets activated our immunity system comes to an end and the infected person suffers from almost all diseases ends up life with anyone of that..

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes there is.  I think they get confused because HIV and AIDS are different but you don't get AIDS without first contracting HIV.  HIV doesn't always end with AIDS and can be suppressed but AIDS is AIDS and will kill you.

They say AIDS itself isn't "what" kills you but a cold can because your body doesn't fight anymore. 

So first you get HIV and then you get the "acquired" AIDS, being that you would then "acquire" another disease of any magnitude really and that is what will kill you.

To be "technical" you don't contract AIDS...  The goal is to protect yourself from HIV.

Some of those people who are out there arguing over how AIDS is transmitted are playing a dangerous game of semantics believing that condoms wont protect you from AIDS, is semantically correct but they forget the other stuff which puts people at risk out of being fed faulty information because for some reason, they believe their witty semantics makes them champs even if it means people are getting the wrong idea.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Search the hubs. I remember reading one on exactly this same question a while ago smile

3. HealthCare Basics profile image62
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

Correlation between the HIV virus and AIDS has been debated for years. Certainly, as far as I am aware, AIDS does not occur in an individual who happens to be HIV negative. Therefore, being HIV positive does in fact prove some degree of correlation. HIV targets T-cells in the immune system and when levels fall below acceptable levels, depending on what scale being used (less than 200 or less than 350) a persons immune system begins to weaken which opens up to all the opportunistic diseases associated with AIDS.

Therefore the goal is to prevent conversion to HIV positive by practicing safe sex and keeping the immune system healthy.

Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is the argument I made. Well put, sir.

4. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

There are many conspiracy researchers and writers who claim that HIV does not cause anything and that the condition labelled as AIDS is caused by the immune system being wrecked by drugs (legal and illegal) coupled with unhealthy lifestyles and lack of good nutrition. The drugs like AZT used to treat it then make the bad condition worse and eventually kill the person.

Here's a site with David Icke talking about the subject:

http://www.multi-illusion.com/aids.htm

Here is a quote from it:

"If you are HIV positive and you die of tuberculosis, pneumonia, or 25 other unrelated diseases now connected by the con men to "Aids", you are diagnosed as dying of Aids. If you are not HIV positive and you die of one of those diseases you are diagnosed as dying of that disease, not Aids. This manipulates the figures every day to indicate that only HIV positives die of Aids."

This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you.

2. brimancandy profile image78
      brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I recently saw a report on the news that AZT was reproted to cause more deaths than AIDS itself. I'm not sure where the report came from, but it was reproted that AZT had no effect on the AIDS virus whatsoever, and that a majority of the people who died, died from the side effects that were caused by taking the AZT.

The only reason that AZT was pushed as treatment of AIDS, was so that the government could show frightened americans that they were attempting to find a cure for the disease, even though there was little or no proof that the drug actually helped.

I find it very frightening that AZT and other drugs are pushed onto the market reguardless of wether they work or not. Just looking at all the lawsuits and deaths from other drugs not realted to AiDS, is enough to make you think twice about taking anything at all.

I know more and more people each day, who are HIV positive. And, know a half dozen who have died from the disease. It's very sad. But, I know just as many who have died from Cancer, including my father.

I just wish that they could it right just once! It just kills me.

5. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I did search, for a while, and was not able to find what I was looking for.  I want to hear more about the belief that HIV has no correlation to AIDS.  I know what AIDS is, but I want to hear some reasonable facts disproving it.  I will believe what I believe, but I am always interested in intellegent discourse.

6. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't listen to anybody unless they are a genuine doctor or medical professional tongue HIV is name of the virus, human innunodeficiency virus ..AIDS refers to the illness itself...yes, it is a weakening of the immune system and opportunitistic diseases that people die from ..spread by blood, sex. hmm Treatment tries to stop the virus and treating the other illnesses that develop.

Not saliva..thinkin of somethin else tongue lol, sorry hmm

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Considering the amounts of money involved, I take even doctors with a huge grain of salt...

2. Davinagirl3 profile image60

Actually, it is not spread by saliva.  It is, however, spread through breast milk.

7. Dame Scribe profile image57

Hi Misha smile yes, medical treatments are expensive true and so is the actual drugs. Pharmaceuticals and doctors get lots of $$ for research and sales n 'treatment'...hmm I understand the grumbling about that and agree that it's sad but true.

8. Dame Scribe profile image57

Yes....hmm if the mother is HIV positive..the baby is safe in utero ...clear of disease until breastfed since the placenta filters it out.

1. HealthCare Basics profile image62
      HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not always..... There can be blood transfer at the last moment when infant and mother are separated from placental vessels...

9. aniketgore profile image61
    aniketgoreposted 14 years ago

Yes HIV will turn into the AIDS. Awareness is the only cure about it right now.

ya..the same thing I was telling themm.nyways..long time no contact ani..maild u on yahoo.

10. Dame Scribe profile image57

'HIV is a human retrovirus which means it has the ability to integrate the viral genetic makeup into the cell it infects causing an abnormal cell that can produce more virus' hmm and that's a 'passenger' virus?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)