natural antibiotics...

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (17 posts)
  1. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 13 years ago

hello to all the moms and dads out there who are in the midst and depths of flu season!  I have some questions about antibiotics and maybe some alternatives.  My son is particularly susceptible to viruses and has already been on biaxin 3 times this year.  are there any alternatives? 

ps.  i am not against antibiotics and i know they have their place.  it is just frustrating to have to wait 6 hours in a hospital to get a prescription and it is mighty expensive too.  especially when you have 3 kids. does anyone have any prevention tips, I mean really good ones, and not just the usual vitamin c and multi vitamins which my kids are already getting?  and what could be used as a natural antibiotic?

Also, I'm not looking for crazy stuff here, just some tried and true stuff from my fellow hubbers whom i trust more than a regular website search.

thanks,
    megs

1. pylos26 profile image70
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Flu viruses spread like wildfire. Prevention includes directly avoiding touching of the things that are freshly contaminated, such as grocery store handles and shopping carts. Many grocery stores provide sanitizing wipes near the shopping carts, USE them. If your local store does not provide wipes, buy a container of them to keep in your car and wipe your hands often after leaving stores or any other place of people traffic.

2. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Anti biotics are not much good against viruses I am afraid, for other illnesses though the best way to protect the body is to ensure a full and balanced diet in my opinion, fruit, veg, meat, cheese, and breads all provide a wide variety of nutritional benefits, minerals and elements which your body does not necessarily need to live, but are used by your body ina  variety of ways.

Eating right is one of the best ways to increase your overall health, which is probably why I get ill so often tongue

2. timorous profile image80
    timorousposted 13 years ago

Hi megs;

Proper nutrition in the form of fresh fruits and vegetables and grains is always a good start, and fairly essential.  Cutting way back on sugary stuff, and junk food will go a long way towards letting one's body work the way it's intended.  Washing hands before eating anything is also a good idea.

Many alternative medicines and herbal remedies are very effective, although nothing specific comes to mind.  You might like to check out my 2 hubs about natural health, and my natural health website (see my profile page).

On a side note, there's also compelling evidence that a longer term breast-feeding during infancy (less reliance on bottle-feeding), increases the child's immunity to all kinds of allergies and diseases by a fair bit.  However, if the mother has difficulty breastfeeding, there's not much you can do to compensate to the same degree.  Mother's milk has something that is difficult to simulate, somehow.

I would personally avoid the antibiotics if at all possible.  But then I'm fairly biased against any pharmaceutical products.

Hope that helps a little.  Good health to you and your kids. smile

3. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

It might be good to look up hubs about including garlic in your diet, and foods that boost the immune system.

I try to solve problems naturally but if needed would get my doctors advice. If you have a course of antibiotics then eating natural (live) bio yogurt (not sure what you call it in the USA) can be a good thing to include in the diet to rebalance the digestive system.

Ginger is a natural ingredient that I have found useful for digestive problems.

If I think of anything else I will post here later. Hope that is helpful.

4. megs78 profile image60

Thanks Timorous and 2uesday.  I do know about garlic being a great natural immune system booster.

my kids are good eaters.  we cook with vegetable purees (in almost all our foods, including desserts) and i run a lunch daycare, so healthy eating is at the top of my list.  however, that doesn't stop viruses from making their ways into our systems, especially with so many children parading through this house every day.  i keep a clean house, but i cant eliminate everything, and i have only so many hours in a day to do it smile  i guess i was hoping that someone had a magic cure or something smile  stupid, i know, but God, how I hate this season and all the viruses that go with it.  thanks again!

5. profile image0
    4youreyesposted 13 years ago

When you are cleaning your house use white distilled vinegar to wipe down counter surfaces door handles toys anything you can that has a cleanable surface.My daughter was in and out of the hospital with asthma and allergies and I was told at Buffalo Childrens Hospital to clean with white distilled vinegar it is a natural disinfectant.They also told me to make sure she always had something on her feet !! no bare feet in in the house allowed.These are no magical cures just a little preventive measures.Hope you have a healthy season.

6. Precious Pearl profile image75
    Precious Pearlposted 13 years ago

Echinacea seems to work well in keeping the bugs away.  I try to take it during this time of year.

7. Craan profile image81
    Craanposted 13 years ago

All the replies are excellent! Implementing them will help to greatly build your son's immune system in preventing the Flu. Adding extra virgin coconut oil to your son's diet should help even more. He can eat it right off the spoon. It does tastes good. Coconut oil is known to kill viruses, bacteria and microbes.

8. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

You're going to hate me for saying this, but the more viruses your little boy catches now, the less he is likely to catch as an adult.
    Antibiotics do not work against viruses anyway, as Thisisoli pointed out.
    Sometimes, however, when our immune systems are laid low by a virus, bacteria can enter which is probably why your doctor prescribed him antibiotics.
    The taking of antibiotics is not a bad thing s long as the whole course is taken. The problem of superbugs has arisen because people have taken a partial course, felt better, and not finished the course.
    But instead of killing off the bacteria, the antibiotics have only knocked them out, allowing the body to recover making the patient feel better. The bacteria soon recovers too, and has to change to survive and becomes more virulent.
    That particular antibiotic can never knock that bacteria out again - it has developed a defence mechanism.
    Getting back to viruses, there are only about 200 cold viruses in the world, and you can only catch each one once.

9. megs78 profile image60

yeah, i know about the virus thing, but my little buddy catches a virus and it quickly turns into something worse...pneumonia, for example!  my son has been has been admitted to childrens hospital way too often, thus, my cry for help smile  thanks for all the replies everyone!

10. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Try this for kids.  It's an odorless and tasteless homeopathic herbal blend.

Boericke & Tafel Childrens Alpha CF

If you just want a natural anti biotic go to Humaworm
    https://humaworm.com/welcome.html

11. donotfear profile image85
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

Many children (and grownups) who get sick a lot have a low immune system due to inerference in the body. The spine controls it all....if it's outta line, it affects the whole healing process. I would consider this, for sure.  You can find out about it at www.maximizedliving.com.
    I'm telling you, it works.

1. ediggity profile image61
      ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi donotfear, how are you feeling?

12. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Garlic, ginger are natural antbiotics, turmeric powder in warm milk is an excellent antibiotic drink.
    As suggested by most hubbers balanced diet is a must.
    Avoiding food that causes inflammation like sugar, jam or sweet stuff will help.
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

13. profile image0
    sureal07posted 13 years ago

It's best to boost the immune system up instead of taking antibiotics which are expensive. As mentioned from other members in the forum, avoiding crowds, cleanliness, and eating healthy foods such as organic greens, colorful vegetables and fruits are highly recommended. Try making juice from romaine lettuce, celery or kale, apple for sweetener, ginger, and lemon. It's part of the organic raw vegan juice recipes that children and adults enjoy.

14. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

I have used Echinacea and Garlic tablets and they seem to work well to keep me from getting colds during flu season.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)